Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
🇨🇦 GT-Line Pkg. 2 (Initial 200)
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - wanted to create this thread to share communication, pricing, and negotiations we are all experiencing with our respective dealers as the EV6 is ramping up to be released here in Canada.

Two Broad Goals
Aid us with information and knowledge prior to acquiring the car:
I think given the current market conditions, mixed with the high demand and scarcity for this car, we all might benefit from being able to quickly pull this thread up in a dealership negotiation scenerio.

Improve the Experience for Future Owners: Also I am hoping that Kia Corporate can potentially look at this thread as a feedback mechanism and hopefully make the acquisition experience for future EV6 and EV owners easier. As it is still somewhat early in the adoption curve for EVs, I think what we are all experiencing should be documented so that despite the market situation, we as buyers have some leverage when it comes to working with dealers.

Will be sharing my personal acquisition experience here in the British Columbia area.
I will also do my best to gather all of the Canadian specific resources/documents/info in one public drive, so that it is all centralized and we are enabled with information and data vs speculation/assumptions.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the initial onset of document/images/resources I've gathered.

I'm also going to be putting together a Google Sheet to help organize some scattered information across this forum and found publicly.

Disclaimer: All of the information populated here were accumulated publicly via this forum and the various Kia Facebook Groups online. I do not claim to own, or confirm if any of the information is correct and assume no liability for its use.

ℹbelow are all clickable links to Google Drive

🇨🇦Canada | EV6

You can also drop files in here [via Google Drive]

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
If anyone wants help with negotiation, I'm in (non-vehicle) sales and know a few tricks. Just ask!

E.g. off-topic story: I wanted to reserve an Ariya yesterday as a Plan B. Here's what I did
  1. I called the Nissan [Dealer B] that was 2nd-closest to me.
  2. I asked to speak with the youngest salesperson (youngest/newest usually know more, research more, care more, and work harder).
  3. Told him I was going to reserve an Ariya online, send it to that dealership, wanted him to be the rep. Needed to check first that I'd pay MSRP + PDI but no dealer add-ons whatsoever.
  4. Him: "Let me check with management." 2 min. on hold. Him: "Management says yes to all that but there's a documentation fee.
  5. Me: well, as I said, no additional dealer fees. But thanks for being honest. [Dealer A] is actually much closer to me, but I'd heard good things about your dealership. I'll just order it to the closest one.
  6. Him: "Uh, ok, wait, let me ask management again." Less than one minute on hold. "Management says no documentation fee."
Unfortunately my family distracted me and the Ariya top trims were sold out when I returned a couple hours later.
🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2019 Niro HEV
11 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I put down a deposit on the EV6 at my local dealer, but am second guessing as their customer service response is ridiculously lacking. Anyone know if I can change dealerships without delaying delivery timelines?

My local dealer took forever to provide any documentation whatsoever for the $$$ I forked over to be on the waitlist. With no final pricing etc. this whole thing feels like a bad idea, but I know it's the only way to get myself in position to get one of these cars. In the end I got a photo of a paper invoice with almost no information on it...does not feel like I am in any official waitlist whatsoever.

I have also put down a deposit on the Ariya. Thanks for your negotiating tips above....I have little experience in sales and we will see how it goes. I am actually fine with walking away from all of this if they try to play games, so that may be a decent negotiating tactic.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heard back from Dealer this morning.

My allocation is the only EV6 in my region (Central Okanagan)

He also let me know because I was part of the early preorders - they (I don’t know if it’s the dealer or KIA corporate) will be providing these free of charge.

• Free level two charger shipped to you
  • $175 charging credits in the ChargeHub app
  • One year membership to the ChargeHub Passport Travel Pan ($25 value)

·
Registered
2019 Niro HEV
11 Posts
Heard back from Dealer this morning.

My allocation is the only EV6 in my region (Central Okanagan)

He also let me know because I was part of the early preorders - they (I don’t know if it’s the dealer or KIA corporate) will be providing these free of charge.

• Free level two charger shipped to you
  • $175 charging credits in the ChargeHub app
  • One year membership to the ChargeHub Passport Travel Pan ($25 value)
That is great! Can I ask when you put your order in?

I am just talking w/Kia Brantford here in Ontario about switching my order over to them. They are incredibly responsive and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Why are the gifts so varied in value?
I have no response other than from earlier in the week before pricing was announced. He promised he’ll let me know when they have more information…. So either Kia corp hasn’t sent them anything (and dropped the ball) or he can’t be bothered to send anything. I’ll give the dealer the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s corporate.

·
Registered
2019 Niro HEV
11 Posts
Why are the gifts so varied in value?
I have no response other than from earlier in the week before pricing was announced. He promised he’ll let me know when they have more information…. So either Kia corp hasn’t sent them anything (and dropped the ball) or he can’t be bothered to send anything. I’ll give the dealer the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s corporate.
I can't say for sure, but my sense is that some dealers are being pro-active about getting info asap and sending it out, and others not so much. I also wasn't updated about pricing/details being released this past week, so in the same boat as you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To respond to both @KiaevCan and @NiroOwner - I think the issue is that the dealers do not have direct access to corporate, but rather the information is relayed to them via district sales managers (DSMs).

Peter from Brantford Kia is somewhat privileged in the Canadian Kia world. From my understanding - he is one of the few who has direct communications with corporate.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again - the best way to mediate communication issues is logging a case with corporate because that their only mechanism of getting direct consumer feedback at the moment.

Also - in terms of my order and ETA: I placed an unofficial order with Kia West 9 months ago. They were terrible with communication despite my eagerness and proactive follow ups, so much so that when I heard about the official 200 pre-order I went ahead and placed one within the first 10 minutes.

As anticipated Kia West failed to preserve my order - and thus I asked for a refund and reallocated my unit to elsewhere.

Right now - the ETA I have from my dealer is sometime between March and April for the GT line Package 2 in Snow White pearl.

hope this helps - and LOG A TICKET 👍😊

·
Registered
2019 Niro HEV
11 Posts
To respond to both @KiaevCan and @NiroOwner - I think the issue is that the dealers do not have direct access to corporate, but rather the information is relayed to them via district sales managers (DSMs).

Peter from Brantford Kia is somewhat privileged in the Canadian Kia world. From my understanding - he is one of the few who has direct communications with corporate.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again - the best way to mediate communication issues is logging a case with corporate because that their only mechanism of getting direct consumer feedback at the moment.

Also - in terms of my order and ETA: I placed an unofficial order with Kia West 9 months ago. They were terrible with communication despite my eagerness and proactive follow ups, so much so that when I heard about the official 200 pre-order I went ahead and placed one within the first 10 minutes.

As anticipated Kia West failed to preserve my order - and thus I asked for a refund and reallocated my unit to elsewhere.

Right now - the ETA I have from my dealer is sometime between March and April for the GT line Package 2 in Snow White pearl.

hope this helps - and LOG A TICKET 👍😊
Thanks for sharing that info and suggestion. I will log a ticket with corporate. Cheers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@OneFiasco Curious about these gifts, too - are you sure they're not confusing the Canadian allocations with the US FE?

@whitehawk My reading of that is not that it's a choice, but rather all 3?
lmfao 🤣

At this point they could confusing it with anything. I honestly have no idea but I’ve been waiting almost a year - so I’m at a point of no return.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
That's going to vary by province. Here in BC I believe the mandatory fees are:
  • MSRP
  • PDI / Freight (varies by province)
  • Tire levy
  • A/C tax
  • GST
  • PST
Anything else is usually a dealer add-on that can be negotiated. The best way to get out of documentation fees if you're not in a great position to negotiate is to ask what documents you get for that fee, and refuse to pay for something you're not getting. They'll eventually admit it's a charge for them to do the paperwork and you can push back both on the cost and the fact you should be paying it at all.

Other included fees may be things you want and can negotiate on (all weather floor mats, wheel locks), things you don't want or need (service plans, nitrogen, overpriced treatments). Anything you're thinking you may want, like undercoat, look into third party options before going in to buy your car.

Also remember that the finance manager is actually a sales manager, and their job is to get you financed if you need it as well as upsell other stuff you don't.

Plus extended warranties. I only have experience with Chevy extended warranty and I'd NEVER buy one from them again. Despite buying the top one, there were tons of things it didn't cover that the bumper-to-bumper did, and it had a deductible for every repair. Really destroyed the value proposition.

And thanks for asking this question, I'm going to ask my dealer for their extended warranty info in advance so I can see what isn't covered and what surprise charges and conditions it includes. I'm going to then look into 3rd party options, including extended warranties that you can buy in 4 years when you're nearing the end of regular warranty. That's probably the way I'll go.

Long list, hope this was helpful!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Robby.

I am looking for a raw estimate, what a buyer in Canada needs to add to the announced price in the configurator to geg the car on the road.
This price seems to be very low compared to Germany, appr. 30% lower.

This is just because of pure curiosity.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
Thanks Robby.

I am looking for a raw estimate, what a buyer in Canada needs to add to the announced price in the configurator to geg the car on the road.

Sorry! I didn't notice you weren't from Canada!

Here in BC it's ~$74,000 / 50,600€
There's also $8k in incentives here so $66k if it's your first EV.

Kia cars seem to be cheaper here than many other nations, including the US

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
Thanks Robby.

... and we have one province without a provincial sales tax. It's ~$67k there on the road(!) That's only €46k

1 - 20 of 232 Posts