Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NC. I purchased an EV6 on 4/4 from celebration kia in columbus OH. The dealer insisted I had to finance the car or they would not sell it to me, so I financed it. Their finance provider is Capital One auto finance. I paid off the loan on 4/7, and subsequently received a lien release from capital one via USPS, but no title.

I currently have 5 days until my temporary tag expires, and I am going around in circles with Capital One trying to obtain my car title. Their customer support is NON-US based. Every call I am told a different story. The first time I called capital one they were absolutely adamant that they had never received a title. Yesterday I had the dealer's title clerk on the phone with them in a 3 way call. During that call, capital 1 finally admitted they did receive a paper title from the dealer on 4/21. The rep said they would request that the back office send the title to me overnight, but they would not guarantee that it would be sent overnight, nor would they guarantee when the request would be processed.

Today when I called, I was told (in complete contradiction to yesterday's call) that capital one had not received the title. When pressed, the agent claimed that they could see that a request had been made to receive the title, but continued to insist that they had no record that they had received the title.

The NON-US based customer support at capital one is absolutely appalling. No professionalism, making crap up as they go, no ability to talk to a supervisor without a 24 hour delay. They have repeatedly tried to say that the dealer is at fault, even after they have admitted yesterday that they had received the title from the dealer.

The general manager at Celebration kia is trying to help, but it is not clear if he will or can. This is a huge mess. I am furious.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
88 Posts
Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. But I wouldn't worry too much about the expired temps. You're unlikely to get stopped until they're a few months past due and if you get a summons you can take the court date and explain the situation to the judge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. But I wouldn't worry too much about the expired temps. You're unlikely to get stopped until they're a few months past due and if you get a summons you can take the court date and explain the situation to the judge.
Hmmm, getting the "opportunity" to go to court and try and explain things to a judge wouldn't add at all to my frustration now would it?:unsure:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you can request NC to issue a duplicate title.

You should also be able to get the dealer to provide a new extended temporary tag.
There has not yet ever been a NC title issued for the car, so it is not going to be possible to have a duplicate NC title issued.....I am pushing hard on the dealer. I have today asked them to get a OH duplicate title this coming Monday, and overnight it to me.

Having lived in NC for the past 35 years, if there is one thing I can say with confidence, it is that the NC DMV is extremely hard to work with. Been there, done that, many many times. There is no way they are going to help me do anything, unless I have all the proper documentation.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 AWD Wind w/Tech Package
82 Posts
There has not yet ever been a NC title issued for the car, so it is not going to be possible to have a duplicate NC title issued.....I am pushing hard on the dealer. I have today asked them to get a OH duplicate title this coming Monday, and overnight it to me.

Having lived in NC for the past 35 years, if there is one thing I can say with confidence, it is that the NC DMV is extremely hard to work with. Been there, done that, many many times. There is no way they are going to help me do anything, unless I have all the proper documentation.
Not sure where you are located. The Mooresville dmv is always very helpful and a hidden gem. Good luck, hope it works out quickly for you and you can get back to enjoying your car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would think if you possess the lien uh you should be able to get a new title from dmv. No need for the hassle. You should just be able to prove their is no lien on file. Meaning paperwork that loan is paid off.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think if you possess the lien uh you should be able to get a new title from dmv. No need for the hassle. You should just be able to prove their is no lien on file. Meaning paperwork that loan is paid off.
The lien release proves that capital one does not have any claim on the car. It does not prove I own the car. To prove I own the car I need a title from the state where I bought the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can you go to the dealership and get a copy of the paperwork sent to DMV and finance company. I would assume their is a rirle assigned to dealership when they have the car as they buy from KIA Corporate. Either way I still believe you can get a duplicate from DMV, but i could be wrong as well. I do wish you best of luck. If need be hire a lawyer and go to court with dealership and finance company you will be amazed how quick it will turn up.

Edit: I believe it is on the dealership no matter what they have to submit the paperwork to the DMV if they did you would have your plates for starters. No matter what I think Dealer forgot to send paperwork in or didn't fill it out correctly so got rejected. I would go by the dealership speak with GM and Finance Manager and figure out where the title paperwork is at.

Plus if you would have gotten plates you will be able to get a duplicate title even if finance company didn't send it.

So you can try dealership and also go by dmv see if you can get a duplicate if so then you will know if it has even been registered by the dealership.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As stated above, I am in NC, Dealer is in OH. Since dealer mandated financing with capital one as a condition to sell me the car, I agree they are responsible to get me a title. I have sent the dealership GM a copy of the lien release from capital one, and told them I expect them to go to OH DMV on Monday to get a duplicate lien-free title and overnight it to me. I have also filed a complaint with the OH Attorney General's office.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your title should be in the state of Ohio, since that's where you purchased the car. Meanwhile your best option would be to reach out to the dealer for another temporary tag or reach out to the Ohio DMV to get the status of the title.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
222 Posts
My dealer financed me through Capital One as they had the best rate for me and actually did better than my two credit unions. The Finance Mgr had my CU rates and Kia couldn’t match, so Capital One won.

Anyway, you got me to thinking, so I just checked in the Capital One app and it shows the car is titled in NV, where I live and bought the car, and it is an electronic title. I know that’s different than your situation, but like I said, I had to check it out.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
113 Posts
In Michigan the owner can request a title copy from Secretary of State, the equivalent of DMV. It might be worth checking in the state where the car was registered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5 days?? You got to have more patience to give a little time for the paperwork to go from the dealer to Capital One, and then from Capital to the state get the title issued, and then for all that bureaucracy to work.

Been in the same shoes the last 3 car purchases. Give it 30 days, then payoff. Every time I've gotten my title in less than 5 days, and one of them was Capital One.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in NC. I purchased an EV6 on 4/4 from celebration kia in columbus OH. The dealer insisted I had to finance the car or they would not sell it to me, so I financed it. Their finance provider is Capital One auto finance. I paid off the loan on 4/7, and subsequently received a lien release from capital one via USPS, but no title.

I currently have 5 days until my temporary tag expires, and I am going around in circles with Capital One trying to obtain my car title. Their customer support is NON-US based. Every call I am told a different story. The first time I called capital one they were absolutely adamant that they had never received a title. Yesterday I had the dealer's title clerk on the phone with them in a 3 way call. During that call, capital 1 finally admitted they did receive a paper title from the dealer on 4/21. The rep said they would request that the back office send the title to me overnight, but they would not guarantee that it would be sent overnight, nor would they guarantee when the request would be processed.

Today when I called, I was told (in complete contradiction to yesterday's call) that capital one had not received the title. When pressed, the agent claimed that they could see that a request had been made to receive the title, but continued to insist that they had no record that they had received the title.

The NON-US based customer support at capital one is absolutely appalling. No professionalism, making crap up as they go, no ability to talk to a supervisor without a 24 hour delay. They have repeatedly tried to say that the dealer is at fault, even after they have admitted yesterday that they had received the title from the dealer.

The general manager at Celebration kia is trying to help, but it is not clear if he will or can. This is a huge mess. I am furious.
I don't know anything about NC DMV, but here in Arizona, they have discontinued paper titles in favor of electronic only. If NC is going that route, it could explain a lot. That is assuming, of course, that Capital One's statement that there was a paper title was BS. I would ask DMV about that possibility.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
5 days?? You got to have more patience to give a little time for the paperwork to go from the dealer to Capital One, and then from Capital to the state get the title issued, and then for all that bureaucracy to work.

Been in the same shoes the last 3 car purchases. Give it 30 days, then payoff. Every time I've gotten my title in less than 5 days, and one of them was Capital One.
How wonderful for you that your experience with Capital One has been ok, but maybe you did not read the prior posts explaining my experience:

• The original title was sent to capital one a month ago by the dealer.
  • Capital one NON-US based customer support is changing their story every time they are called, and they are making accusations left and right. Every conversation begins with the agent insisting that they have never received a title. They are literally making things up as they talk. The support is TERRIBLE, BELOW ANY ACCEPTABLE STANDARD OF SERVICE, and that is why I made this post, to warn others.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think the dealer truly had the a paper "title" that could be sent to Capital One. The dealer owned the car, having taken ownership from Kia America (but no paper title went with that). When you bought the car an application for title should have been made to the state where the title would be recorded. Then a piece of paper would be sent to you (if there was no lien) or the finance company showing who is the owner. When the loan is paid off, a new title (paper) must be printed showing the owner with no lienholder. That again must come from the state where the car was registered.

When I bought my EV6 I traded in a car that I had owned for 12 years, and the loan had been paid off 9 or 10 years ago. I did not have the paper title because I never bothered to request it after the loan was paid. To facilitate the trade-in, I had to get a clear title from my state. That involved getting an acceptable (notarized) statement from the credit union that showed they no longer had a lien on the car and paying a $2 fee for the (certified) copy of title. Then the state printed a title and mailed it to me. I signed that over to the dealer when I bought the Kia, and that piece of paper would no longer be a valid title.

@wmcneil, In the papers you signed when you picked up the car, is there an application for title and registration? Which state is it for? (I would expect the application would be for North Carolina as that's where you live). That would be where you have to apply to get a new title printed without the lien. They will tell you they need a statement from the lienholder they have on record showing that the lien was released.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In this case, the OH dealer provided a OH temporary tag/registration on the day of purchase (4/4) to the out of state (NC) purchaser. The OH dealer stated that the NC purchaser would receive a "temporary" OH title in the mail, which would be used, along with the Buyers Order, by the NC purchaser to obtain tag and title at the NC DMV. The OH dealer never indicated that the dealer would interact with the NC DMV, nor did the NC purchaser expect or ask them to. Subsequently, the OH dealer obtained a paper title from OH DMV. When the OH dealer received the paper title from the OH DMV on 4/12, they sent it to the finance company (capital one), which received it on 4/21.

Capital one received a loan payoff from the NC purchaser on 4/7, and subsequently sent a notarized lien release to the NC purchaser via USPS, which he received on 4/26. When capital one received the paper title from the dealer on 4/21, they should have immediately sent it to the NC purchaser, but they did not. Every time capital one customer support is called, they initially deny having ever received a title, but when pressed hard, usually admit they did receive it, and in one instance confirmed that they had received it on 4/21. When capital one does admit to having a title, they refuse to commit to any timeline sooner than 1-2 weeks for when they will send it, and they refuse to commit to sending it overnight.

I don't know if the NC DMV would accept a title application with only a lien-release, and not also a title, but this NC purchaser is not going to try to go that route, because the NC DMV is notoriously difficult to deal with, and because I should not have to. On the day I purchased the car, the dealer told me I would get a OH title promptly enough to use for NC title application and registration before my temporary OH tag ran out on 5/19. The dealer is by all indications doing everything needed to get me the title in the next day or two. Today the dealer has requested a duplicate title from the OH DMV(I signed the application remotely), and is going to overnight the title to me either today or tomorrow.

Lessons learned:
  • Do not allow a dealer to force you to finance a vehicle when you want a cash deal. (Current market conditions are not good for buyers. I would never have agreed to obtaining an unwanted loan in a normal market.)
  • Do not use capital one auto finance under any circumstances. Their customer support team does not meet even the most basic of standards for business behavior, and in fact routinely make things up, and/or lie about the facts.
  • When buying from an out of state car dealer, if you are not getting a paper title on the day you take possession of the car, make sure you research ahead of time and know exactly what documents are needed in your home state. The out of state dealer may very well not know what you need in your home state, and may even imply that they do (in order to close the sale) when in fact they do not. Create a written summary of exactly how and when you will receive all the documents you have identified as needed to register the car and apply for title in your home state, and make the dealer sign it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts