Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,766 Posts
I hope this is not a bad omen.

I had a first edition Jag F-Pace that won car of the year and ended up being the worst car of the year and was rejected.

Replacement was worse so I have fingers tightly crossed this is not another one of those bad moments.

Just hope its not a poisoned chalice.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I know this is apples and oranges but the Kia Telluride won Motor Trend SUV of the Year, Car and Driver 10-Best, and North Ameriican Utility Vehicle of the Year awards for 2020 and it's still in very strong demand (at least here in the U.S.) 2 model years later. Kia vehicle offerings have come quite a ways from its more humble beginnings, that's for sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
I know this is apples and oranges but the Kia Telluride won Motor Trend SUV of the Year, Car and Driver 10-Best, and North Ameriican Utility Vehicle of the Year awards for 2020 and it's still in very strong demand (at least here in the U.S.) 2 model years later. Kia vehicle offerings have come quite a ways from its more humble beginnings, that's for sure.
Agree they have improved massively, was told by the Kia dealer this is done to Kia employing ex BMW and Lamborghini designers and has allowed the cars to improve, was told the Stinger was designed by an ex BMW designer which does make sense as it does have a BMW 3 series look to it and the EV6 by the Lamborghini designer and the Kia dealer was quick to point out certain angles and the look and the rear spoiler which he says is very much from this look.

Could be talking a load of rubbish but this is what I was told.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree they have improved massively, was told by the Kia dealer this is done to Kia employing ex BMW and Lamborghini designers and has allowed the cars to improve, was told the Stinger was designed by an ex BMW designer which does make sense as it does have a BMW 3 series look to it and the EV6 by the Lamborghini designer and the Kia dealer was quick to point out certain angles and the look and the rear spoiler which he says is very much from this look.

I was told the same thing by my dealer which I was impressed with at the time. Couldnt find much about it online but I think they are referencing a Mr Luc Donckerwolke. Although he is credited with some Lambos it is not clear he was solely responsible for the EV6

·
Registered
183 Posts
@JK-KIAEV6 I do hope they keep their own KIA spirit as both Lamborghini as BMW spent a lot money in customer experience that I feel is a complete waste of money both for supplier as customers. I hope they stick to value for money concept while providing in the higher segement as better customer experience as the EV6 to my opinion especially for the interior. Does this mean replicating the materials from BMW --> NO. For it's fine to use some plastics instead of leather. My current espace has some plastics that look like leather. It's 6 years old and it looks like new. Much better then real leather. It is on surface that is only touchable when you are not diving and cleaning the car. Is it state of the art material I believe so, it is the most expensive in this segement definetly not.

I do believe Kia need to stick to their own for choosing between price, comfort and luxury. And sometimes it is good to cheat the eye to protect the wallet..

·
Registered
988 Posts

Almost but not quite.

For the 2010s, Kia hired Peter Shreyer, former Audi designer (and he designed the Stinger. The interior looks like the A3 in its clean design and two simple round centre vents). More recently, they hired Albert Biermann (who just retired in December 2021), who was former VP of BMW M division chassis (I think he was also a chief engineer at some point. I’m fuzzy on his history). Currently, they have Karim Habib who was the Head of Design for the EV6 (He also designed the new K5 saloon and Carnival MPV/minivan).

The Lamborghini designer he was thinking of is Luc Donckerwolke but he designs Genesis products (he designed Bentley as well which explains some of the Bentley inspired interior and exterior designs like the grille or the quilted leather.

·
Registered
490 Posts
No matter what folks may believe otherwise, it is fairly obvious by looking at Hyundai and Kia vehicle model designs over the past decade they are clearly taking styling/visual cues from other vehicle manufacturers. Heck, just look at the Genesis logo--more than a few folks have commented that from a distance it looks a bit like the Bentley logo...

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
No matter what folks may believe otherwise, it is fairly obvious by looking at Hyundai and Kia vehicle model designs over the past decade they are clearly taking styling/visual cues from other vehicle manufacturers. Heck, just look at the Genesis logo--more than a few folks have commented that from a distance it looks a bit like the Bentley logo...
This is the issue with the modern car, the aero package is important to reduce drag and raise fuel costs and there is only so many ways you can design this so cars are starting to become more the same with the odd design tweak here and there.

Will not be long before all cars will be more or less the same look with just slight design differences, we are already seeing this with manufactures joining each other.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It’s amazing the brand snobbery that still exists. We have someone that lives in our development that once said, “I’d never have a Hyundai parked in my driveway”. Really?

We traded my wife’s Lexus ES300 hybrid for the Sonata Hybrid Limited. We both enjoy it more than the Lexus. It offers more features than the Lexus, handles better and costs less than the Lexus. We got tired of owning Lexus, we had several. I couldn‘t care less what brand of car I drive.

It‘s looking more and more likely I’ll be trading my e-Tron for an EV6. I had a reservation in for the BMW i4, but that was back in September. I still have no production number after nearly 7 months. Now the war in the Ukraine has forced the temporary closure of the BMW plant in Munich, where the i4 is produced. So who knows how long it will take at this point.

After reading all the glowing reviews on the EV6, we decided to test drive the EV6. What a great car! There can be life after BMW, Audi, Lexus & Tesla! 😆

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
It’s amazing the brand snobbery that still exists. We have someone that lives in our development that once said, “I’d never have a Hyundai parked in my driveway”. Really?

We traded my wife’s Lexus ES300 hybrid for the Sonata Hybrid Limited. We both enjoy it more than the Lexus. It offers more features than the Lexus, handles better and costs less than the Lexus. We got tired of owning Lexus, we had several. I couldn‘t care less what brand of car I drive.

It‘s looking more and more likely I’ll be trading my e-Tron for an EV6. I had a reservation in for the BMW i4, but that was back in September. I still have no production number after nearly 7 months. Now the war in the Ukraine has forced the temporary closure of the BMW plant in Munich, where the i4 is produced. So who knows how long it will take at this point.

After reading all the glowing reviews on the EV6, we decided to test drive the EV6. What a great car! There can be life after BMW, Audi, Lexus & Tesla! 😆
Agree on the brand snobbery.

Some of the lesser brands as people like to call them rate higher then brands that cost twice as much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hope this is not a bad omen.

I had a first edition Jag F-Pace that won car of the year and ended up being the worst car of the year and was rejected.

Replacement was worse so I have fingers tightly crossed this is not another one of those bad moments.

Just hope its not a poisoned chalice.
May I ask, when you got your Jag, did you see indications of what led to the failure?

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
May I ask, when you got your Jag, did you see indications of what led to the failure?
I had so many issues with the first car, there was no indications that led to any failures they just happened.

Dashboard would go blank while driving in the middle of the night, water bottle pipework to rear washer failed dumping all the water in the front drivers footwell, starter motor cable to close to exhaust nearly causing a high voltage fire and it goes on and on.

Reactions: Jock55
1 - 16 of 16 Posts