Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Yacht Blue
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there's going to be a car show in town next weekend and it had me thinking. As much attention as the car gets and all of the spontaneous conversations that pop-up when I'm out, especially while charging, would it be too far fetched to actually join in the car show? I haven't done as much modding as @ezpotato and others (tinted windows and painted calipers).

Would the EV6 (with minimal mods) be worthy of an actual car show, or would I be laughed off the street? :D

Curious to hear anyone's opinion and if they thought about doing this too.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well in that case, if you feel like showing up, why not?

It's not particularly environmentally friendly but you could design and print one-pagers highlighting information about the EV6 (or just print one and have it on the window or on the dashboard... actually, that's probably the better idea).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Give it good detail and go for it! Find your favorite website for the EV6 and make a QR code for the URL. Print that QR code and put it on the window so folks can scan the code and read about it on their phone.

Borrow all the "D" cells you can find and put them in the frunk. When folks want you to open it you can tell them it's for "backup".

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This would be my first car show so I'm not sure how it all works. I think I'll go ahead and register and give it a shot. It's a small town so I don't expect a huge show. I hadn't thought about printing materials and QR codes... is that a thing they do at these things?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line, 1965 Ford F-100
26 Posts
This would be my first car show so I'm not sure how it all works. I think I'll go ahead and register and give it a shot. It's a small town so I don't expect a huge show. I hadn't thought about printing materials and QR codes... is that a thing they do at these things?
For EVs, absolutely. I see a lot of people print up informational posters for EV shows, and people appreciate it. Generally the people at those shows are a mix of EV enthusiasts and people curious about EVs. Many people do similar at classic car shows. There it's usually a museum style placard with the history of the model and/or manufacturer, or sometimes the history of that particular vehicle.

Even at a more generalized car show, you're going to find a lot of people curious about EVs. Plus a lot of people who see the Kia won't even know it's an EV. I live in a rural area and I'd say about 75% of people that ask about the car don't even know it's electric until I tell them.

The top questions you will get will probably be:
  • "What's the range?"
  • "How long does it take to charge?"
  • "How much is your electric bill?"
  • "Is it fast?".
  • And, if you live in an area with actual winter, "how is it in the snow?"

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yep. Well when you have something to show that isn’t conventional (like hybrids back in the day or maybe a classic car that’s rare so the specs or history isn’t well known).

If it’s a small town, maybe explicitly mention that it’s 100% electric and highlight a few things that make this different from early cars.

@hitchhiker’s questions are a good start.

What’s a popular car in your town? Use that as a comparison (just as big outside, bigger inside). Have unit comparisons as not everyone may know what mi/kWh is. Maybe MPGe? Showcase V2L for emergency backup during a storm or camping.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are about 90 cars registered for the show alread. :eek: I wasn't expecting that many. I guess it's a bigger deal here than I thought! Another angle I can mention is that our town is one of the few EA charging locations in the DFW area. So having a DC fast charger nearby is pretty convenient for us.

The top questions you will get will probably be:
  • "What's the range?"
  • "How long does it take to charge?"
  • "How much is your electric bill?"
  • "Is it fast?".
  • And, if you live in an area with actual winter, "how is it in the snow?"
Thanks for these! I pretty much get asked all these everywhere I go. Except for the snow question. We don't get snow here much, and not a lot of people drive in it when we do.

What’s a popular car in your town? Use that as a comparison (just as big outside, bigger inside).
I live in a small Texas town, so the popular car around here are trucks. I have them beat on mileage/efficiency but trucks are bigger. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My first car show is done and it was a big success! The car got a lot of attention and was the only electric vehicle there (out of about 100 cars).

"What am I looking at?" and "What is this?" were common statements. :D Quite a few were surprised that it was electric and made by Kia. Only one person had ever seen one before; everyone else said it's the first one they've ever seen. Most common questions centered around range, torque(!), time to charge, cost, etc. A handful were seriously considering buying an electric car and asked very in-depth questions, others were adamant about not ever going electric. Still though, they took the time to stop & look and ask questions which is something. The flow of people stopping to look and talk was constant though. I think it was a big hit.

I didn't win any show awards or anything. I think there should be an electric car class though. Hopefully it'll catch on. When the show was over a family came over and actually posed in front of the car for a picture, which is reward enough. :p

Car Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Sky Car Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

There's another, larger car show tomorrow that I'm considering entering, considering how much attention it got today. But I'm sore and sunburnt and dehydrated so we'll see! LOL

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line, 1965 Ford F-100
26 Posts
My first car show is done and it was a big success! The car got a lot of attention and was the only electric vehicle there (out of about 100 cars).

"What am I looking at?" and "What is this?" were common statements. :D Quite a few were surprised that it was electric and made by Kia. Only one person had ever seen one before; everyone else said it's the first one they've ever seen.

Very cool. I wanted to bring my old F-100 to another show tomorrow, but sadly I've been doing some suspension work that required me to disconnect the front brakes, and now those banjo fittings just do NOT want to seal for me. It was an unseasonably hot 90 degrees here in Maine today and eventually I just got frustrated and said screw it, I'll deal with this later. Now you've got me thinking, maybe I should show up with the EV6? :cool:

I think if you went to some EV shows/meetups you'd still get a ton of attention. The EV6 is still very rare in any areas, and both spectators and other EV owners would probably be interested.

·
Registered
988 Posts

"What am I looking at?" and "What is this?" were common statements. :D Quite a few were surprised that it was electric and made by Kia. Only one person had ever seen one before; everyone else said it's the first one they've ever seen. Most common questions centered around range, torque(!), time to charge, cost, etc. A handful were seriously considering buying an electric car and asked very in-depth questions, others were adamant about not ever going electric. Still though, they took the time to stop & look and ask questions which is something. The flow of people stopping to look and talk was constant though. I think it was a big hit.

I didn't win any show awards or anything. I think there should be an electric car class though. Hopefully it'll catch on. When the show was over a family came over and actually posed in front of the car for a picture, which is reward enough. :p

View attachment 5601

View attachment 5602

View attachment 5603

There's another, larger car show tomorrow that I'm considering entering, considering how much attention it got today. But I'm sore and sunburnt and dehydrated so we'll see! LOL
Great to hear! Also some great cars in tte photos!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great to hear! Also some great cars in tte photos!
I didn't get a good shot of the purple car's front license plate (I think it was a Road Runner?) but it said: NO4NJNK. Good thing the EV6 isn't junk! :LOL: The owner was really nice though and he was really curious about the EV6. There were a lot of cool cars and friendly people.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I didn't get a good shot of the purple car's front license plate (I think it was a Road Runner?) but it said: NO4NJNK. Good thing the EV6 isn't junk! :LOL: The owner was really nice though and he was really curious about the EV6. There were a lot of cool cars and friendly people.
Didn’t read “BEEPBP”? Haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts