Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody drop the back seats and stuff this thing yet? Pretty positive a drumset and all necessary bits and bobs would fit, but would love some stories/pics of your stuffed EV6's.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
202 Posts
I loaded the trunk one day with cardboard and other recyclables but I did not took a picture, maybe next time when I go in town.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I loaded the trunk one day with cardboard and other recyclables but I did not took a picture, maybe next time when I go in town.
Spoken like a true EV owner. You wake up in eco mode!

Also, thanks for the response. Do you generally find it can hold a lot with the seats down?

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
202 Posts
Actually I don't drive in Eco mode, I like Normal better. And I tried Sport a few times. I have a recycling place by my office and I have a few bins in the garage to store them since I mostly work remote. But when I go in I load the trunk.

I drove a Mazda 6 before and I feel the EV6 storage is adequate and has better access due to the hatch.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD in Aurora Black Pearl
48 Posts
Charging was very easy. That particular stop is the Walmart in Villa Park, IL with Electrify America charging stations. 150 KW max charging but it was just fine. Took me from about 40% to 80% quickly.

As far as range, here's the trip that took me there. Started at the Walmart in Lafayette, Indiana. I needed to top off to make it to Milwaukee. With these two Walmart EA stations, I am set traveling from Cincinnati to Milwaukee to see my family. It's easy and no range concerns at all.

World Map Font Line Slope

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Charging was very easy. That particular stop is the Walmart in Villa Park, IL with Electrify America charging stations. 150 KW max charging but it was just fine. Took me from about 40% to 80% quickly.

As far as range, here's the trip that took me there. Started at the Walmart in Lafayette, Indiana. I needed to top off to make it to Milwaukee. With these two Walmart EA stations, I am set traveling from Cincinnati to Milwaukee to see my family. It's easy and no range concerns at all.

View attachment 6736
Curious ~ you needed two top of charges to go 135mi?

·
Registered
48 Posts
No -- I needed two charging stops to go 397 miles and arrive with the charge state I wanted.

First leg was home to Lafayette as shown below -- 175 miles. While I theoretically could make Lafayette to downtown Milwaukee -- 221 miles -- I didn't want to risk issues with the toll road around Chicago, so I planned the additional stop to top up to 80 to 90%. There is no charging capability beyond a 12 amp level 1 charger where I was staying (an old apartment building), and the nearest Fast DC charger was another Walmart in West Milwaukee, a bit out of the way (but I did use it). I had a lot of driving to do there (dealing with family issues) and wanted as full a charge as possible when I arrived.

In the end, it worked out. I was able to leave it overnight at my brother's, which has a 20 amp circuit so I could level 1 charge at 16 amps, which helped.

I'm very happy with how the EV6 is performing. The range is as I expected, and the EA charging stations at the Walmart Supercenters are on my route and have always worked perfectly. My return trip consumed a bit more energy because the outside temps were in the 90s and I ran the A/C enough to keep me comfortable.

Hope this makes sense.

Map World Font Technology Parallel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No -- I needed two charging stops to go 397 miles and arrive with the charge state I wanted.

First leg was home to Lafayette as shown below -- 175 miles. While I theoretically could make Lafayette to downtown Milwaukee -- 221 miles -- I didn't want to risk issues with the toll road around Chicago, so I planned the additional stop to top up to 80 to 90%. There is no charging capability beyond a 12 amp level 1 charger where I was staying (an old apartment building), and the nearest Fast DC charger was another Walmart in West Milwaukee, a bit out of the way (but I did use it). I had a lot of driving to do there (dealing with family issues) and wanted as full a charge as possible when I arrived.

In the end, it worked out. I was able to leave it overnight at my brother's, which has a 20 amp circuit so I could level 1 charge at 16 amps, which helped.

I'm very happy with how the EV6 is performing. The range is as I expected, and the EA charging stations at the Walmart Supercenters are on my route and have always worked perfectly. My return trip consumed a bit more energy because the outside temps were in the 90s and I ran the A/C enough to keep me comfortable.

Hope this makes sense.

View attachment 6737
Makes perfect sense and thanks for clarifying. I understand it's an adjustment planning for EV vs ICE travel.

I'm in SoCal so I imagine I'll run the AC quite a bit, but maybe a little lower and try out those cooled seats!

One more question since we're chatting: have you noticed the Soundsystem improving over time? I don't own the EV6 yet, but was so unimpressed by the audio and people have claimed it improves with break-in/our ears adapt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Regarding the sound system, my 62 year old ears aren't as sensitive as they were when I was a teenager, so I'm not sure I'm the best judge of the audio quality. I did adjust the equalization to emphasize the bass range a bit. Perhaps it's not quite as "oomphy" as some other cars I've had, but it's fine by me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is my first long(ish) range SCUBA trip from Bloomington, IN to the Hammond, IN marina just outside of Chicago. This is a set of double LP104s, an AL80 full of deco gas, my drysuit bag, and big of all the other stuff for a techincal dive. Didn't even need to drop the seats. Did not seem to impact my range in any way. Mostly interstate driving (75 mph), but there was some construction and traffic that kept it around 60mph for a few stretches. Averaged well over 3 miles/kWh there and back.

One stop at the EA station in Lafayette, IN each way, although I could have made it home with right at 10% if I'd pushed it. I wanted to stop and get Pizza King anyway!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my first long(ish) range SCUBA trip from Bloomington, IN to the Hammond, IN marina just outside of Chicago. This is a set of double LP104s, an AL80 full of deco gas, my drysuit bag, and big of all the other stuff for a techincal dive. Didn't even need to drop the seats. Did not seem to impact my range in any way. Mostly interstate driving (75 mph), but there was some construction and traffic that kept it around 60mph for a few stretches. Averaged well over 3 miles/kWh there and back.

One stop at the EA station in Lafayette, IN each way, although I could have made it home with right at 10% if I'd pushed it. I wanted to stop and get Pizza King anyway!
Thanks for that! Looks like even the trunk space is bigger than I thought so seats down should be plenty of room. I'm potentially getting a Wind AWD in sunny SoCal and sometimes will go to Santa Barbara, San Diego, etc. Looking like with a full charge on those longer drive days, I should just plan for a straight shot (80-100 miles) and charge when there ... Or top off when possible if I do a snack/pp break.

I'm not a speed demon, but open roads here make speed limits into suggestions. Cruise control will be my friend!

Would probably prefer RWD for range, but heat pump (good for desert cold) and fun factor should make the AWD work for me. It was the one available now at a reasonable price locally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for that! Looks like even the trunk space is bigger than I thought so seats down should be plenty of room. I'm potentially getting a Wind AWD in sunny SoCal and sometimes will go to Santa Barbara, San Diego, etc. Looking like with a full charge on those longer drive days, I should just plan for a straight shot (80-100 miles) and charge when there ... Or top off when possible if I do a snack/pp break.

I'm not a speed demon, but open roads here make speed limits into suggestions. Cruise control will be my friend!

Would probably prefer RWD for range, but heat pump (good for desert cold) and fun factor should make the AWD work for me. It was the one available now at a reasonable price locally.
I have been getting great range with my Wind AWD + tech here in Indiana. I use adaptive cruise, eco mode, and just tend to do 5 over the speed limit. Lots of trips on the interstate to/from Cincinnati, Chicago, and to and from Indianapolis and have still been averaging 3.8/3.9 mi/kWh over the last 2000 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been getting great range with my Wind AWD + tech here in Indiana. I use adaptive cruise, eco mode, and just tend to do 5 over the speed limit. Lots of trips on the interstate to/from Cincinnati, Chicago, and to and from Indianapolis and have still been averaging 3.8/3.9 mi/kWh over the last 2000 miles.
That's what we like to hear!! Man, I really want the tech package mostly for those side cameras, but based on the deal I worked out it was approx $5k more to get the one they had with the tech package. Long story not worth telling, but I ground them down pretty hard on the markup for the one sans tech package.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's what we like to hear!! Man, I really want the tech package mostly for those side cameras, but based on the deal I worked out it was approx $5k more to get the one they had with the tech package. Long story not worth telling, but I ground them down pretty hard on the markup for the one sans tech package.
I really like the side-view and top-down view when parking. Still getting used to just how much LONGER this car is than my old Bolt EUV. :) My wife doesn't want most of the tech features, and I won't use most of the, but it was what they had on the lot (and at MSRP). Hard to be picky these days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really like the side-view and top-down view when parking. Still getting used to just how much LONGER this car is than my old Bolt EUV. :) My wife doesn't want most of the tech features, and I won't use most of the, but it was what they had on the lot (and at MSRP). Hard to be picky these days.
Hard to be picky if you're on a time crunch like me! I test drove a used car yesterday to get an idea of what they would feel like new (no intention of buying it) and in the 15 mins I was out, it got sold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Makes perfect sense and thanks for clarifying. I understand it's an adjustment planning for EV vs ICE travel.

I'm in SoCal so I imagine I'll run the AC quite a bit, but maybe a little lower and try out those cooled seats!

One more question since we're chatting: have you noticed the Soundsystem improving over time? I don't own the EV6 yet, but was so unimpressed by the audio and people have claimed it improves with break-in/our ears adapt.
The Meridian system is decent but not mind blowing. Not even close to the Harmon Kardon sound I had in my BMW M4 that I just sold. The Meridian system lacks good bass but it's adequate. I found that the radio (FM) was a lot louder than XM Satellite radio and my phone's bluetooth connection. Stange! Haven't tried the Apple CarPlay yet as I am used to the wireless version and haven't had a chance to plug my phone in yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Meridian system is decent but not mind blowing. Not even close to the Harmon Kardon sound I had in my BMW M4 that I just sold. The Meridian system lacks good bass but it's adequate. I found that the radio (FM) was a lot louder than XM Satellite radio and my phone's bluetooth connection. Stange! Haven't tried the Apple CarPlay yet as I am used to the wireless version and haven't had a chance to plug my phone in yet.
I saw on some other threads discussions of upgrading just the subwoofer for about $100-200 which could make a more sub(no pun intended)stantial difference at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Each audio mode can have its own volume setting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts