Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Has anybody else had issues with Carplay dropping out randomly when connected. I have contacted Apple and completed the usual checks and resets but no luck. My Phone is an iPhone 12 and car is a 77KwH 2Wd in black. ally happy with the car.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Oh man, that sucks, nothing worse that it always dropping off. Have you tired another phone? Maybe Android if you don't have another iPhone?, the plan would be to find out if its the USB port on the car or the phone or the cable. If it turns out to be the USB port, it would be a trip to see Kia. Highly doubt it would be though, USB ports are fairly robust and don't easily break.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD
2 Posts
I had that in my previous car, it was very clearly the cable for me. I recommend trying it with the original Apple cable. I still had the dropouts with an Apple certified charger but with the original cable it worked.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,766 Posts
I Have tried both apple approved and apple original cables - no luck.
If you can see if a friend has another phone you can try incase its a phone issues, these issues are a real pain as your trying to confirm its the car.

·
Registered
FE 1010 Glacier
15 Posts
Been having the same thing happening.
I am using Ottocast U2-Air and it will disconnect. I then try to hardwire my iPhone and it won’t connect either.
It appears that the USB port is loosing power because when hardwired, the phone will not charge.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The charging port on my phone itself is pretty banged up and it drops when moved the wrong way. But this happens everywhere, when doing carplay, when charging at home, etc. In short, it’s my phone that’s defective, not the cables/car. Which is why I wish wireless airplay was a thing, or that apple released the new iPhone model so I can upgrade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have not had any dropouts after a month. As most, I was a little disappointed with the no wireless Carplay in the EV6, however after seeing tons of dropouts in my wife's Yukon while wireless, I don't feel so bad about having to connect the cable in my EV6 to get the increased reliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. Has anybody else had issues with Carplay dropping out randomly when connected. I have contacted Apple and completed the usual checks and resets but no luck. My Phone is an iPhone 12 and car is a 77KwH 2Wd in black. ally happy with the car.
I’m having same issue, tried multiple cables and multiple phones, wonder if it’s the latest software update on either the car or the phones giving compatibility issues, but either way I’m calling the dealer tomorrow cos it’s not right is it. Cuts out sometimes straight away, sometimes after 5 mins, but always does it, it’s frustrating!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having same issue, tried multiple cables and multiple phones, wonder if it’s the latest software update on either the car or the phones giving compatibility issues, but either way I’m calling the dealer tomorrow cos it’s not right is it. Cuts out sometimes straight away, sometimes after 5 mins, but always does it, it’s frustrating!
Right didn’t take long but think I found the answer… in your iPhone under Settings, General and Carplay, check if ‘Kia’ is there twice and if it is delete both and set up with the cable fresh and it will hopefully solve the issue. I’ve done this with two phones now and it’s fixed both of them so all fine 👍👍👍 pic attached of what I mean by ‘Kia’ in the phone CarPlay settings, it’s nothing to do with the Bluetooth so leave that alone
Communication Device Sleeve Portable communications device Gadget Grey

·
Registered
19 Posts
The other thing I've seen is to look at your phone screen right after it stops working. A couple of times I saw the carplay app startup screen on my phone - indicating my phone's carplay crashed.

After recent ios upgrades it's been more stable.

·
Registered
FE 1010 Glacier
15 Posts
Was reading another post about when the orange light on the upper dash comes on indicating the regular 12v battery is being charged by the large pack.

Out of the box thought -
I don’t drive the car every day and am using a wireless CarPlay adapter.
Since the media USB port is always on, I wonder if it is possible the issue is coming from the 12v battery getting drained and that is what is shutting down CarPlay ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m still having the issue, while the few things I’ve done have helped it’s still cutting out, so mines going to the dealer in a couple of weeks too, let us know how you get on, interested to know 👍👍👍

Hi Guys. An Update. I have used sever iPhones, all dropping out and the car was updated by the Dealer. The issue still persists. The dealer has highlighted the issue with Kia. we will see what happens next.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts