Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 4

Took receipt of car on Friday 18th, car had 14 miles on delivery. Charged car at Lidl to 100%. Kia claims fully charged range 320. When fully charged my car reported range 305.

The car now sits at 155 miles travelled. That's 141 miles driven since 100% charged.

Arrived at my work car park this morning with just 44 percent remaining with just 90 miles remaining.

For me the math doesn't add up.

It was a particular nightmare to figure out the process for charging this morning, Lidl is very much straightforward, however a CYC charge point is very complicated.

I did eventually get the charger going, and took a picture of the LED status when I left, however now that I am at work, the updated status from the car app, shows that the car isn't even plugged in? So will have to pop down at lunch time to see what's going on...

Pic's below
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
Rectangle Font Technology Screenshot Parallel

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Grille Cloud

Gas Machine Auto part Display device Motor vehicle

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update, this is 2 hours later from leaving car, hopefully charging. App refreshed, but no movement on range at 111 miles. Status says charging and charge flap open, however distance is not accumulating?
Light Product Font Automotive lighting Rectangle

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of reading and research to do about range. Lots of info on this forum and elsewhere.

For the charging, you should be able to find somewhere what speed it's charging at. How many Kw are you getting? If for example you are getting 11kw and have a 77kwh battery you should see 11/77 = 14%/hour charging.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Or only do I need to refresh my app to see if it’s charging but after I do this I also need to change page or scroll down and up for the figures to update.

however once I’ve done this it’s always very accurate as to if the car is charging/% battery range/expected mileage

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
91 Posts
The car's range estimate is based on driving history, so it won't be very accurate until you have a few hundred miles on driving as a basis.

As for chargers, the complexity of finding good chargers and using them was an unexpected hurdle. It's not huge in the big picture, but the extra 5 minutes or so every time I use a new charger is a hassle I didn't expect. That and never getting the maximum charging rate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The car's range estimate is based on driving history, so it won't be very accurate until you have a few hundred miles on driving as a basis.

As for chargers, the complexity of finding good chargers and using them was an unexpected hurdle. It's not huge in the big picture, but the extra 5 minutes or so every time I use a new charger is a hassle I didn't expect. That and never getting the maximum charging rate.
It’s also based on external temp. You can go to bed at night with it saying 270 miles and wake up with it saying 240 if it got really cold overnight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks, the image below from the charging unit shows this detail. I'll provide an update when I go back to the car at lunchtime to check it's actual charging status. Because either the app isn't working or car isn't charging 🙄
Gas Machine Auto part Display device Motor vehicle

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update, I find the whole saga quite an ordeal, but here goes...

Went back to the car at lunchtime, as the app was saying not charging, and found the car charger had tripped. I've now tried every single charger in the whole car park, the last charger on, level 12, blew the whole circuit, so no chargers working in the building now.

Drove my car to the local district energy center, the engineers there hooked the car up to their charger's, both tripped.

Being familiar with my car they tried changing the charge input from maximum to medium, and again, both charger's tripped.

It would now be fair to say that the fault lays with the car or the charging cable. So I rang the supplier, the supplier agreed and said to ring any Kia garage, to take the car in under warranty. I rang my local branch in Newcastle who said they didn't have any appointments available until May... Great!

I'm now at the stage that the is unfit for purpose, it's material breach of contract, and in all likelihood the car being returned.
Fluid Kitchen appliance Packaging and labeling Gadget Home appliance

Waste containment Audio equipment Gas Waste container Bicycle handlebar

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
Not read any cars before tripping the chargers so please keep us updated as to what the fault was with the car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 5. Part 2.

The car requires a replacement Integrated Charging Control Unit, obviously under warranty.

Thoughts are to reject the car, however after months of deliberation deciding to go electric and then test driving every brand, to decide on Kia EV6 (now with a year waiting), I'm inclined to go ahead with these works.

My only concern presently is how intrusive replacing the Integrated Charging Control Unit is - I mean what's involved, striping the car, and to what condition it'll be returned. Experience tells me after manufacturing rebuild isn't ever right, with misaligned panels and rattling from invisible locations.

Kia to submit report, await Kia warranty authorisation, order parts... 40 day lead-times. No free AC charging, only costly DC charging (at my expense). Scheduling works, ongoing remedials, as nothing is ever right first time these days, mucky finger prints from fitters, half arsed valeting... And no doubt annoying rattling.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Super Moderator
1,803 Posts
Day 5. Part 2.

The car requires a replacement Integrated Charging Control Unit, obviously under warranty.

Thoughts are to reject the car, however after months of deliberation deciding to go electric and then test driving every brand, to decide on Kia EV6 (now with a year waiting), I'm inclined to go ahead with these works.

My only concern presently is how intrusive replacing the Integrated Charging Control Unit is - I mean what's involved, striping the car, and to what condition it'll be returned. Experience tells me after manufacturing rebuild isn't ever right, with misaligned panels and rattling from invisible locations.

Kia to submit report, await Kia warranty authorisation, order parts... 40 day lead-times. No free AC charging, only costly DC charging (at my expense). Scheduling works, ongoing remedials, as nothing is ever right first time these days, mucky finger prints from fitters, half arsed valeting... And no doubt annoying rattling.

Thoughts anyone?
You really as you say have two choices, reject or repair.

I would get the Kia dealer to put in writing that if after repair the car develops new faults, rattles or issues then they will accept the car will be rejected.

·
Super Moderator
1,803 Posts
Day 5. Part 2.

Thoughts anyone?
Have you seen where this part is located?

Its right it the heart of the car, look at this video at around 1.09 onwards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You really as you say have two choices, reject or repair.

I would get the Kia dealer to put in writing that if after repair the car develops new faults, rattles or issues then they will accept the car will be rejected.
Have you seen where this part is located?

Its right it the heart of the car, look at this video at around 1.09 onwards.

To me it looks like it would be just aft of the interior V2L plug. This puts it under rear passenger seats so maybe not to bad…..if they put the access under the seats.

·
Super Moderator
1,803 Posts
It's confirmed, warranty authorisation given by Kia, 40 working day backorder for parts... Car to be rejected 😔
Sorry to hear this, are you going to re-order or move on?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kia to investigate why fault was not picked up pre-delivery, said to wait till early next week to allow them time. Hopefully they'll resolve the whole issue so I don't have to go through the process of re-ordering. I do need reliable transport thou so have been looking at Mercedes and BMW electric offerings

1 - 20 of 22 Posts