Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIdn't see this video posted elsewhere here and I found it interesting in lieu of the chargegate discussions and even the way you can't start a charging session with the car on. The bottom line is after the first few minutes of charging it is likely hurting charging speeds to have the HVAC on. This seems to be a "whoops" on KIA's part.

Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 battery overheating explained - YouTube

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, thanks for finding and posting this! Bjorn's videos testing the winter range (not very high), headlights (also some concerns), and charging of the EV6 are very important...they are all at the link below. It is clear that Kia/Hyundai do not have everything worked out in the best way for managing the battery temperature during charging. We have to hope this can be fixed via a software update, although Bjorn's short-term method may solve this problem for now. Keep in mind that Bjorn's winter range test showed that the EV6 has somewhat low winter range in cold weather relative to other EVs, something I have posted about elsewhere. We don't know why at this point, but maybe it is related to battery temperature management too somehow...

Bjorn Nyland videos testing the EV6:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, thanks for finding and posting this! Bjorn's videos testing the winter range (not very high), headlights (also some concerns), and charging of the EV6 are very important...they are all at the link below. It is clear that Kia/Hyundai do not have everything worked out in the best way for managing the battery temperature during charging. We have to hope this can be fixed via a software update, although Bjorn's short-term method may solve this problem for now. Keep in mind that Bjorn's winter range test showed that the EV6 has somewhat low winter range in cold weather relative to other EVs, something I have posted about elsewhere. We don't know why at this point, but maybe it is related to battery temperature management too somehow...

Bjorn Nyland videos testing the EV6:
I don't see where he shows winter values of other comparable EVs in his range test. It's all summer in the spreadsheet he puts on screen.

I don't expect the EV6 to compete with Tesla in efficiency. They are class leading. It would be better to see how it stacks up against id4, mach E, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This timestamp from the road trip shows the ID.4 being slightly more efficient, at conditions just a couple degrees warmer. This timestamp from the range test shows the EV6 being much more efficient than the Mach-e, though the Mach-e was 6°C colder and had wet roads.
Thanks. Given all the variables that can affect efficiency, it seems the EV6 was within expectation. At least my expectation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Given all the variables that can affect efficiency, it seems the EV6 was within expectation. At least my expectation.
My take on the video, is that KIA should and could do some tweaking to improve the charge rate while the HVAC is on...or at least tell folks how HVAC impacts charging. I am also a bit concerned that this issue is yellow if not red flag that the car's engineering is sub par.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am also a bit concerned that this issue is yellow if not red flag that the car's engineering is sub par.
Yes, my biggest concern is the discrepancy between the warmest and coolest battery modules. On the surface, that would suggest insufficient and/or poorly distributed coolant flow in the battery pack. Maybe not a huge issue for someone like me who would do the vast majority of charging at home, but concerning nonetheless.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, my biggest concern is the discrepancy between the warmest and coolest battery modules. On the surface, that would suggest insufficient and/or poorly distributed coolant flow in the battery pack. Maybe not a huge issue for someone like me who would do the vast majority of charging at home, but concerning nonetheless.
Yes, these things do at least suggest insufficient cold weather testing prior to release. Seems like something that would have shown up, but I am no engineer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, these things do at least suggest insufficient cold weather testing prior to release. Seems like something that would have shown up, but I am no engineer.
I am not sure the app is actually showing the hottest and lowest temp battery. It could also mean that the temp of the coolant is between the start and the end.
Then it is actually not really giving insights internally in the battery pack. And it makes sense that when the output reaches too high level it means that it cannot cools the batterypack...

I think this requires more indepth knowledge in the cooling system. And indeed it seems that it should not be a fixed flow as then same batteries get the cooled too much ad the batteries in the end will fry. But I cannot imagine this is not part of the design when you want to be the best of the best in quick charging

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am not sure the app is actually showing the hottest and lowest temp battery. It could also mean that the temp of the coolant is between the start and the end.
It comes from ODB2 data. Take a look at this breakdown of points for an Ioniq. Granted, that's an older vehicle, but I wouldn't expect these definitions to suddenly change. Note that it actually has access to the individual module temps, while the max is the highest of all the module readings, and the min is the lowest. There is also a separate inlet temp reading.

EDIT: some more relevant info for the Ioniq 5, and therefore presumably EV6: Torque Pro PIDs for IONIQ 5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts