Kia EV Forum banner

ChargePoint Flex Issues

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  EV- Technician 
#1 ·
Hi all... I'll try to be brief...

I've got the ChargePoint Flex 14-50 model. When I installed it, the app said to use the breaker rating as the value to select for the amperage. The app offered 50A and 40A. My breakers for the EVSE circuit are 50A so that's what I selected.

Car is charging at 8.3 kWh which translates to approx 35A -- not the ~9.6 kWh / 40A that I expected. I called ChargePoint and they said the charger was set to 40A breaker so it was charging at 32A (accounting for the 80% de-rating). I thought that was odd because I was getting 35A delivered, not 40A, to the EV6.

So they went ahead and remotely changed it back to 50A (breaker rating). Now when I charge, only 6.5 kWh / ~27A is being delivered to the EV6! I called again, they remotely checked, and said it was property set to 50A breaker (40A available for charge).

So then, reading another thread here, I removed the EVSE from my CP account and re-added it as a new EVSE and, once again, selected 50A from the two available values (50 and 40) in the app. That "fixed" my delivery rate back to what I originally had -- 8.3 kWh. Better than what I had after CP remotely tweaked the settings that made it even worse, but still not the expect 9.6 kWh.

Anyone have any ideas? Or experienced something similar?

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow, thanks, that was it! EV6 was set to "reduced". Gold star 🌟for you!

Its now charging at 9.2 kWh / 38.3 Ah -- close enough!

Still weird that after CP tech supp changed the rate to 50A, the actual charge rate dropped to 6.5 kWh. But regardless, after deleting/re-adding the EVSE to my CP account (a hint I read here) and now, crucially, setting the EV6 charge rate to max, it appears to be charging very near rated speed.

#5 ·
Ran into the same problem. They're only looking at the charging at the unit itself. I uninstalled and then reinstalled based on the max current the circuit can hold. The circuit needs to be able to hold a % above based on the NEC and Local electric code. I sent the info to my electrician and asked him to size the circuit to handle the load. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the app. In the initial setup choose based on the circuit capacity, not what you expect at the handle.

#6 ·
Here are some problems some people don't really understand.
Example
Most commercial places and some residential areas are running at 210 V US split phase
Some residential areas are running at 240 V US splitphase.
Now there is Voltage under load that is usually 2-4 V lower than not loaded circuit.
Example under load voltage.
208 X 48 =9.984 KWh
240 X 48 = 11.424 kWh
246 X 48 = 11.808 kWh
breaker rating under load should have never exceed 80% of breaker specifications.
Example
40A breaker 32 A max under load.
Wiring should be properly sized depending on length of wire run and intended breaker size.
Do not change breaker for bigger size if wire is not sized properly.

#12 ·
Example
Most commercial places and some residential areas are running at 210 V US split phase
Now there is Voltage under load that is usually 2-4 V lower than not loaded circuit.
208 X 48 =9.984 KWh
240 X 48 = 11.424 kWh
246 X 48 = 11.808 kWh
breaker rating under load should have never exceed 80% of breaker specifications.
Example
Wiring should be properly sized depending on length of wire run and intended breaker size.
I learned this past weekend, as I was wondering for a while why I wasn't getting 9.6KWh with my 50A breaker that should have been giving 40A useable.
And then as I was getting solar installed I asked the electrician and he explained that in most of NYC we are 208 and not 240....
So if you are in NYC, keep that in mind.

#13 ·
Example
208 X 48 =9.984 KWh
240 X 48 = 11.424 kWh
246 X 48 = 11.808 kWh
Example
Thanks for trying. I still don't really understand 😭

#8 ·
It's 120V per leg. It may dip a couple of volts under heavy load at a receptacle, but nothing near 110V. And to ensure minimum line loss, I used 6 gauge wire on the short 15 foot run from the breaker panel to the NEMA 14-50R receptacle in the garage. At 15 feet, that'll limit line loss to 3% at the full 50 A draw. I do all my own electrical work so I'm very familiar with my service panel, line voltages, wire gauges, etc...

#16 ·
Got a question for the hive mind. I have a Charge Point Flex (50 amp) that is hardwired to a 60amp circuit. I've been noticing here in the summer that the car will shut down charging after a time. I usually get 10.5-11kw of charging, but I have heard the cooling fan in the car kick on super high during charging. It's hot in the garage, maybe 85-90F. I tried reducing the charge setting in the EV6 to 'reduced' which gets me roughly 9.5kw, but it seems to complete the charge without kicking off. As best I can tell, it's the car, not the charger that is interrupting the charge.

Anyone else experience this issue?

#17 ·
I am running a 60 amp breaker and have it set that way in CP. No issues I am getting about 11kw without issue. Weirdly the graph doesn't match the time it says it took the charge in charging details though. Says it took 22hr 4min to do 46.56kw but graph only show it charged for a little over 4 hours which adds up to the speed I am getting

#28 ·
I get anywhere from 8.9-9.1 with the same setup here in OH. I had the 240 installed in my garage at the time the house was built, and there is probably 80-100 foot run of wire going from the electric panel to the outlet. I don't know what gauge wire was used, but I had specified it was for car charging and it is a 50 amp circuit. I assume this distance is why I see reduced kw. Are there any other reasons not discussed above?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.