Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I'm reading the bottom plot correctly, it took an hour to get from 0 - 100% state of charge? I recall the video showing around 48 minutes when the charging stopped and it showed 81.6 kWh delivered to the vehicle, which is a bit higher than the rated 77kWh for the battery. I know manufacturers typically leave a but at the top and bottom unused but seems it allowed the vehicle to dip into this on this test.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
119 Posts
If I'm reading the bottom plot correctly, it took an hour to get from 0 - 100% state of charge? I recall the video showing around 48 minutes when the charging stopped and it showed 81.6 kWh delivered to the vehicle, which is a bit higher than the rated 77kWh for the battery. I know manufacturers typically leave a but at the top and bottom unused but seems it allowed the vehicle to dip into this on this test.
Waynerm002, what you saw was that it "delivered" 81.6 to the car. The battery pack will usually only truly accept 90-92% of what is sent from the stand. At 90%, that means that the pack took around 73.4kwh before it shut off. That's with the little juice it still had in the bottom and whatever room it left on the top. If charge efficiency was 95%, that would put it spot on a full tank!

·
Registered
125 Posts
One would hope that it was a full charge at the time it shut off. The good thing is that in normal usage, you would be charging well before you get to 0% or at least that wouldn't be a common practice. Best charging practice is something ICE drivers switching to EVs will have to learn, to not degrade the battery performance quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Waynerm002, what you saw was that it "delivered" 81.6 to the car. The battery pack will usually only truly accept 90-92% of what is sent from the stand. At 90%, that means that the pack took around 73.4kwh before it shut off. That's with the little juice it still had in the bottom and whatever room it left on the top. If charge efficiency was 95%, that would put it spot on a full tank!
Plots of charging curves for Kia EV6 Prototype This is based on video https://youtu.be/06Zxt-oMKYI

View attachment 423
View attachment 424
The charge speed curve for the Ioniq 5 is completely different to the EV6 as shown below
Rectangle Azure Slope Font Plot

I have ordered a GT line AWD with the plan to tow a 1600Kg Caravan. In a YouTube video by Bjorn doing the 1000k challenge in the Ioniq 5, he was concerned that after rapid charging at an Ionity charger, the temperature rose to over 45 Deg C and when he moved off, the power was limited from 250Kw to 60Kw. This concerned me as he said he struggled to get to 70mph and only got full power back when the temperature dropped. If this happens whilst towing, it could cause you to stall especially if going uphill!
I wonder if Hyundai have gone for maximum charge rate with restricted power when driving if the battery overheats, and KIA to reduce charge rate for short periods to keep temperature levels below maximum and maintain full drive power. I hope this is the case.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts