Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a bizarre set of circumstances we have when buying an EV today: 1) you have to comb the entire country; 2) be ready to pivot on a moment's notice; 3) accept any color; 4) no bargaining; and 5) oh yes, be ready to retrofit your garage.

Our washer/dryer is right next to our garage, so I am hopeful that an electrician can make easy work of adding a charger, but I don't know the first thing about how to make this happen. Can I hire any old qualified electrician or is this specialized expertise? What do I need to make sure to ask? What do I watch out for? And what's up with the Level 1/2 cables that most cars come with but the EV6 does not? Do I need to buy them? And what does Level 1 and 2 mean, anyway?

As you can see, I have lots of questions. As I wait. And then might get on a plane to who knows where to buy a car yesterday...

·
Registered
36 Posts
To start, if you want something wired specifically for the charger it would need to run from your electric breaker panel. Where that is will depend on how hard/how much it will cost.
If you want to unplug your dryer or have a free dryer outlet there already, you can plug in a portable charger and no electrician needed

·
Registered
89 Posts
To start, if you want something wired specifically for the charger it would need to run from your electric breaker panel. Where that is will depend on how hard/how much it will cost.
If you want to unplug your dryer or have a free dryer outlet there already, you can plug in a portable charger and no electrician needed
Just be aware that the dryer probably only has a lower (20-30?) amp fuse at the panel, so it would still be a slower charge than he can get with a proper install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to those who have already responded. What about this cable that most cars come with but the Kia does not? Is that a separate purchase, apart from the installation? Do most of you own a Level 1 and a 2 cable? How is it used? Where does one buy it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Correct it does not come witn and it depends what you want to do. Hardwire/not removable or something portable you can plug in and unplug to take with you on a trip?
Search for hardwired or portable evse, lots of options but charge point is probably most popular.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a hardwired chargepoint. I kept my level 1 charger from my old plug in hybrid, but I have never ever used it since I installed the chargepoint. I only carry it in case of emergencies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s the thing I’m not clear on: why do I need to buy a cable at all? Won’t the charger that I install in my house have a cable? And if I go to an Electrify America station, won’t it have a cable? Why do people buy a cable? Is it just for the odd times when you might need to charge at someone else’s home? Is it like owning jumper cables?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Correct the hardwired charger will come with a cable. You keep saying "cable" but there is no such thing. You can't just buy a cable by itself. All the cables are attached to a charger, either hardwired at home, hard wired publicly or portable. Your only decision is which charger you want, not what cable.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 Wind AWD
14 Posts
I believe so. My Grizzl-E charger came with a 24 ft "cable". The charging stations obviously have a cable. There was a level 1 charging plug in my trunk so I plan on keeping an extension cord in there as well for use in an emergency. Will any outdoor extension cord work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for correcting my bad syntax! So the type of charger that doesn’t come with the Kia is a portable charger that is optional if one has a charging station at home, is that right?

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
Heres a simple chart that shows typical charge rates and range gains based on charger level type, level 1 is obviously super slow. Various factors will impact these numbers, actual breaker size/charge current, temperatures, etc.

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here’s the thing I’m not clear on: why do I need to buy a cable at all? Won’t the charger that I install in my house have a cable? And if I go to an Electrify America station, won’t it have a cable? Why do people buy a cable? Is it just for the odd times when you might need to charge at someone else’s home? Is it like owning jumper cables?
Yes. People carry the level 1 or travel charger if they are away from home and need a charge. I have one with 3 adapters for different wall plugs so that it can also act as a Level 2 charger. I also bought a Tesla to J1772 adapter if I encounter a Tesla destination charger at a hotel and need to charge. It does NOT work on the Tesla superchargers. Also, I admit that I am the King of Overkill and may rarely need any of these. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
OP--if you find that your driving needs/habits are such that you don't see yourself driving more than ~40 miles daily and/or between charges, then you can probably get by with a Level 1 charger that plugs into your average 120V outlet; if OTOH you find that you'll typically drive way more than 40 miles between charges and/or you're the type who doesn't like having to wait more than 8 hours for their EV to charge up (while plugged in at home) and give you enough range to cover you until the next time you charge, then go with a Level 2 charger. There are portable Level 1/2 chargers that can plug into both 120V and 240V sockets (may need a plug adapter)--there are a few that can do 32A or higher but the majority of the portable Level 1/2 ~$200 chargers offer up a max of 16A charging.

Folks go with wall-mounted Level 2 chargers because those can do 40A or 50A, as well as offer remote monitoring (via Wifi or BT); needless to say, these types of chargers are not portable (i.e., not meant to be used as "travel" chargers).

If Kia had included a charger with the EV6 (here in the U.S.) it would most likely have been a Level 1 charger meant to be plugged into a 120V outlet. If you don't see yourself driving a lot of miles each day then you could get by with a portable Level 1/2 charger, in which case just make sure that it is UL (or CE)-listed.(the Shell one is a pretty decent compromise in that it can do 40A, although IIRC there is some debate as to whether it is UL-listed), Dunno if you have a budget when it comes to chargers but let's just say that wall-mounted Level 2 chargers will cost more than portable Level 1/2 chargers, and that chargers capable of higher amperage will cost more than those that offer fewer amps.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Heres a simple chart that shows typical charge rates and range gains based on charger level type, level 1 is obviously super slow. Various factors will impact these numbers, actual breaker size/charge current, temperatures, etc.

View attachment 3969
Nice graphic. That DCFC needs to be updated though. <90kW is now <350kW and <125A is now <500A

also, 11kW is more than 20 miles an hour (that’s 32A/6.6-7kW right?)

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD in Aurora Black Pearl
37 Posts
I have a level 2 ChargePoint (240V, 50A) charger in my garage and just bought a Webasto Charging Systems TurboCord Dual 120/240V Plug-In portable cord that I will keep in the car to use when I travel to visit family. The TurboCord can plug into a regular 120 outlet or a 240 dryer outlet if one is available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dryer 30 amp max with NEMA 14-30, I bought a Splitvolt unit to manage the auto switching when drying my clothes and charging the car, bought a Juicebox 32 (my utility company gave $500 rebate for this unit). Super simple plug and play. I can only charge max at 24 amp but not a problem because I only drive about 100 miles per day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts