Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a 300 mile round trip to Worcester from SE London yesterday. Car was awesome. Warm, easy to drive, great with Android Auto/maps/podcasts.

Fully charged before left so started 100%. 145 miles to destination and arrived with 45% battery with carscanner showing used 47kWh.

So a bit of a top up needed to get back home the same day. Didnt stay long enough at destination (dropping family off) so not worth a granny cable top up, so looked at zapmap, ABRP and the EV6 screen to find where to charge on the way home.

I didnt want a northern detour via the Rugby 350kw chargers, so picked Instavolt Banbury (Ermont Way) as 8 stalls each 125kw.

The car showed 7 stalls full which was interesting - I turned up to find all 8 full and 1 other car waiting.

Wheel Car Tire Building Vehicle

So some interesting British etiquette with people sitting for ages in their cars to get the last few percent to 100%. Had thought about explaining that you save so much more time charging to 80% and if you need more, stop again (they should have that on the signs) but decided to leave them to it.

So about 15min waiting for 2 cars to move and then able to charge, to find that although 8 stalls and 8 charging pillars each pillar shares its 125Kw with its neighbour. And with all in use my 230Kw car couldnt get the 125 but shared 125 with my MokkaE neighbour who was taking 60Kw. So I started at about 50Kw and moved up to 80KW when they passed 80% and slowed down. And as I was in a rush, it wasnt brilliant to see the car take the 4Kw for the battery heater ahead of topping up the battery.

So having waited for 15m I then added 20% battery in about 15mins (not quite 10% to 80% in 18...)

I know the above sounds like a long whine, but a few learnings.

1. Get to know which operators/devices share charge with neighbour - the Instavolt setup looked brand new but I guess 8x125 at the same time is a big ask - 125Kw sounds much better than 50Kw but if all full you'll only get 50. Am going to comment on zapmap as I think this helps.
2. If you can, find a stall with an empty neighbour (I couldnt)
3. Find an app or use the car to get a real time "how full the charger stalls are" - which is always hard when you might be 30-60m away and also when driving
4. People are very good at queuing in the UK
5. It would be great to turn off the battery heater if you just want a quick top up
6. Of course it will be even better when the "battery preheat before arriving at charger" is implemented

In summary - it all works, but needs much more planning (of course) than pre EV days - I am a tad concerned that the enroute charging is going to be overwhelmed by the ever increasing number of EVs on the roads. The car is awesome and am still learning but it does seem harder than expected to get a quick charge as part of a journey.

Car scanner charging below - red is charging (50kw max 80kw)green is state of charge 31%-51%

Regards

Mark.

Rectangle Font Line Slope Technology

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sounds like we really need ultra fast chargers to do what they say. Charge at faster speeds , queues go down faster, it then becomes more like adding Petrol/Diesel to a car and not soo much like charging up for hours on end. More chargers of course, I see them popping up everywhere, but when will shops/ cafes/ park and rides learn that 7kw chargers are just too slow for the modern EV.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,467 Posts
Great help with the information, I think as more chargers are added to meet demand hopefully the rate of new EV cars to chargers will mean delays are not too bad.

The only issue I see is when you go to shopping centers and you need a charge but all the chargers are being used by people off shopping, your never know how long these people will be as they are not sitting waiting in there cars so you may find your not able to charge your car or have to potentially wait hours for one to come free.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have started to notice something even worse. Shoppers with none electric vehicles are parking in the bays when there is nowhere else preferential and I don't even mean available. I

Reactions: Logicpro8

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,467 Posts
I have started to notice something even worse. Shoppers with none electric vehicles are parking in the bays when there is nowhere else preferential and I don't even mean available. I
Problem is its no against any laws so the only people who could enforce the issue is the company responsible for where the EV charging station is placed and your not get many who would want to be involved or bothered.

You have to rely on some common sense and not everyone does.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have also seen this unfortunately..Also, a well talked about subject…. Going to say the park with the kids today… one charger is there. Granted it’s a 7kw slow changer, BMW i3 is sitting there, chargers showing 97%… driver nowhere to be seen. God knows how long they have been hogging the charger. Another EV driver rocks up with say 5% battery and could really do with a charger.. they have to wait for Mr BMW to move first. We were 90moms at the park/ estate with the kids. Maybe the BMW driver was as well. That's a long wait for the EV with 5% if they want to charge. Really bad. Either way, there has got to be more understanding between ICE drivers and EV drivers, stay in your car while charging or don't be too long if you need to visit the shops etc. Someone else might be in need or a charge. ICE drivers stay out of the EV bays. Or I'll go round to petrol stations and park at a pump and hog it :). Kidding, hope I'll never have to go to one of those again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.