Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an electrician coming out to look at my entire box. The house was built in 97 so im sure it needs some updating.
I was charging at a public charger today and I still got a Charge Interrupted message. I was almost 100% sure it was my setup, but now.........?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have an electrician coming out to look at my entire box. The house was built in 97 so im sure it needs some updating.
I was charging at a public charger today and I still got a Charge Interrupted message. I was almost 100% sure it was my setup, but now.........?
That’s not good. Was it a DC charger or an AC? What khw was it outputting?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah, that shouldn’t be happening unless the charger was having an issue. I’d keep an eye on it and if it happens in public again, go to your dealer. What I did was ask them diagnose but then give me the car back as long as it was safe to drive until parts came in. Granted in my scenario they had the car for 3 days, ran some diagnostics and came back clean, but in the event they needed a part, I’d atleast be able to have a car instead of letting it sit in a shop for months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, that shouldn’t be happening unless the charger was having an issue. I’d keep an eye on it and if it happens in public again, go to your dealer. What I did was ask them diagnose but then give me the car back as long as it was safe to drive until parts came in. Granted in my scenario they had the car for 3 days, ran some diagnostics and came back clean, but in the event they needed a part, I’d atleast be able to have a car instead of letting it sit in a shop for months.
I will definitely have it checked out. For the mean time I changed the Charging Current to Reduced. I'm only getting 6.5 kWh, but it is charging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking to get a Home Flex and reading this makes me a bit hesitant. That being said, does anyone have a heat gun and measure the temperature of maybe the cable and see the type of heat it's outputting? Then compare it to a DC fast charge and see if overheating is really the culprit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking to get a Home Flex and reading this makes me a bit hesitant. That being said, does anyone have a heat gun and measure the temperature of maybe the cable and see the type of heat it's outputting? Then compare it to a DC fast charge and see if overheating is really the culprit?
I can't help you there. I just reduced the current and it charged. The next day I turned up the amps on my charger so now I'm getting 8.3 kwh. It's not the 11kwh I was getting before, but I have not had any interruptions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I can't help you there. I just reduced the current and it charged. The next day I turned up the amps on my charger so now I'm getting 8.3 kwh. It's not the 11kwh I was getting before, but I have not had any interruptions.
So you upped the amps on the charger but still have the car set to reduced? That sounds like it’s worked for others on Reddit, not ideal but might be the best solution until Kia issues a software update or recall to fix whatever this is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Add me to the list, problem with flex started around the same time, I have a 60 amp service, worked for months then all of a sudden started getting charge interrupted error. What's interesting is I called Chargepoint, they remotely rebooted the unit and now I am charging @ 8.73 so guessing they changed the settings from output of 48 amps to output of 40 amps which tells me Chargepoint knows they have an issue with the flex overheating while set at 60 amps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Add me to the list, problem with flex started around the same time, I have a 60 amp service, worked for months then all of a sudden started getting charge interrupted error. What's interesting is I called Chargepoint, they remotely rebooted the unit and now I am charging @ 8.73 so guessing they changed the settings from output of 48 amps to output of 40 amps which tells me Chargepoint knows they have an issue with the flex overheating while set at 60 amps.
I don’t know if I can solely blame the ChargePoint. I’ve got a family member with a Volvo C40 who can charge using their home flex at 60A without issue. however, I’ve gotten the charge interrupted error using their device. Maybe the Volvo has the same issue but doesn’t send any alerts? Who knows. It’s definitely weird and I don’t understand why it takes months to manifest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree with your assessment. The fact that it's not only happening to EV6 but also to the Hyundai Ioniq 5 seems to be an issue with the car and likely some temperature monitoring logics they've added within the software. Hence why I think it would be an interesting test to compare the ambient temps for a DC fast charge to the a level 2 charger to see which one gets hotter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to the list.
Was charging to 100% since 4/22 (received the EV6) then started getting "Charge Interrupted!" as of 6/11.
Had the home flex Professionally installed on a 60A breaker, hard wired.

Removed & re-added my home flex at 50A and will see how that goes.

It's gotten warmer here near SLC, UT, but not that warm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
What version is everyone’s homeflex on? I just received a replacement box and it’s on 5.5.2.5 vs 5.5.1.10 which the old box was on. Haven’t tried 60a yet, but maybe there’s a code fix for this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can add me to the list. It was good at 60 amps, 11.1kwh until recently. Dropped it down to 50 amps and I will still get charge interrupted. With the heat increase we have had in Texas I am guessing that is the issue since the hard wiring is running along an outside wall.
I could be having issues because my installer used 8 gauge wire instead of 6. Too many amps going through.
Have your installer do it again the right way. 8 gauge is too small and could be a fire risk. I hope he has good insurance.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts