Kia EV6 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
248 Posts
The EV6 may be storing a code that indicates what is happening, but you'll need a code reader.

I haven't had it happen to me (ChargePoint running at 50A nominal, 40A actual). From the discussions, it could be (a) over power limit, or (b) overheating connector.

One person said they had "charging interrupted" happen, and their house voltage was at 252v, right on the edge of what's permissible for a 240v connection. EV6 has a maximum of 48 amps AC charging, so that's 11.52kW vs. 12.10kW. It's possible that 12kW is too much and the EV6 or the ChargePoint trips.

Someone else mentioned a code about the plug overheating. There's a temperature sensor in the J1772 socket that will trip if it gets too hot, which is more likely at maximum power charging.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The EV6 may be storing a code that indicates what is happening, but you'll need a code reader.

I haven't had it happen to me (ChargePoint running at 50A nominal, 40A actual). From the discussions, it could be (a) over power limit, or (b) overheating connector.

One person said they had "charging interrupted" happen, and their house voltage was at 252v, right on the edge of what's permissible for a 240v connection. EV6 has a maximum of 48 amps AC charging, so that's 11.52kW vs. 12.10kW. It's possible that 12kW is too much and the EV6 or the ChargePoint trips.

Someone else mentioned a code about the plug overheating. There's a temperature sensor in the J1772 socket that will trip if it gets too hot, which is more likely at maximum power charging.
I agree with your points but unfortunately I don’t think the car stores a code. I took it to the dealership after it happened, and they kept the car for several days, ran several different diagnostics with techline and didnt find anything wrong at that point. Granted, they could’ve lied or omitted information but I’m not sure how that would benefit them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having a similar issue with mine. Started around mid June. We have two Juice Box chargers installed in our home. Both my husband and I have EV6's. Mine, gets the Charge Interruption every time I charge. On both chargers. His, using the same chargers, no issues. I have a service appointment next week with Kia. Wish me luck

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD Yatch Blue - Ordered Apr 2022, Delivered June 2022 - In 60 days
14 Posts
I am having a similar issue with mine. Started around mid June. We have two Juice Box chargers installed in our home. Both my husband and I have EV6's. Mine, gets the Charge Interruption every time I charge. On both chargers. His, using the same chargers, no issues. I have a service appointment next week with Kia. Wish me luck
Any update from your visit to Kia dealership? curious.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Just found this doing some browsing on the Ioniq forums. Seems like this is a problem with the E-GMP platform.

Question is...how do we get anyone to fix it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I have not. How do I open a case with Kia consumer affairs??

https://ksupport.kiausa.com/ConsumerAffairs. You can call in or do it online. My dealer doesn't want to take my car back for diagnostics and says KIA is aware of this charging issue but doesn't have a fix yet and hopes to have something in August. Unfortunately, idk if we can trust them or confirm it. Maybe someone at consumer affairs does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the infomation. So what happens with your car now? It just sits at the dealership till they figure out how to correct the issue? When does the lemon law kick in?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Thank you for the infomation. So what happens with your car now? It just sits at the dealership till they figure out how to correct the issue? When does the lemon law kick in?
Well no, they don't want me to bring it in...so it sits at home and I continue to drive it. If I wanted to lemon law it, I would need to bring it in for this issue atleast 3 more times or have it sit with them for 30 days+. Honestly, I'm strongly considering getting a Tesla instead as their trade-in estimate is offering me above the EV6's MSRP. So we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had a Tesla. Actually traded it in on my husbands EV6. We definitely prefer the EV6, just wish mine wasn’t having issues. Husbands car is just fine, so far 🤞🏻 Hoping to get an update from the dealership today.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
We had a Tesla. Actually traded it in on my husbands EV6. We definitely prefer the EV6, just wish mine wasn’t having issues. Husbands car is just fine, so far 🤞🏻 Hoping to get an update from the dealership today.
Yeah, I hear you. I want to like the EV6 more, but I also want a car that can actually charge when its warmer than 75 degrees outside. That's kind of important when its the only way to get range. Let me know what your dealer says, maybe if they find a problem I'll take mine back in and reference your results.

If they did find something, ask for the DTC so others can mention the same code to their dealers. Best of luck!

61 - 80 of 129 Posts