Kia EV6 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
248 Posts
I'm really thinking it's the temperature sensor in the socket. Either it's too sensitive, or it really is getting too hot, especially at 48A. If it's getting too hot there's a problem with either the car's socket or with the EVSE plug.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I'm really thinking it's the temperature sensor in the socket. Either it's too sensitive, or it really is getting too hot, especially at 48A. If it's getting too hot there's a problem with either the car's socket or with the EVSE plug.
That's a very similar conclusion to what our Ioniq 5 friends are reaching. However, I'm not sure how to get a fix for this issue without Kia being interested acknowledging it as a problem and figuring out a fix. Like I was telling the previous poster, my dealer doesn't want my car back in for more diagnostics, they said Kia was aware and looking at a fix. But...its a dealer...so very hesitant.

I'm super annoyed because now I'm getting the issue at 48A and 40A. If it continues, it'll need to lower it even more and then a charge will take all night. Eventually, it won't be worth it..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nope. The tech was off yesterday. I did get a call from Kia customer care. Told me there was a case opened up for me and wanted to know if I had questions. YES, when will my car be done!! She assured me I should have more information tomorrow. I will update when I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick sharing notes. Like some of you, I thought it maybe due to heat. Changed the location so there is a 1” clearance behind charging unit for heat sinks to cool. Still getting charge interruptions. ChargePoint home at 48amp (10.9kw). Pls share your updates. Leaning towards it’s a car issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Quick sharing notes. Like some of you, I thought it maybe due to heat. Changed the location so there is a 1” clearance behind charging unit for heat sinks to cool. Still getting charge interruptions. ChargePoint home at 48amp (10.9kw). Pls share your updates. Leaning towards it’s a car issue.
Yeah, I agree that it’s a car issue, but I think it’s related to the ability for the AC/DC converter to dissipate heat or a overly sensitive charging port sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now my charge is interrupted or failing at the 9kW/hr charging level on my charge point. Has Kia made any comments about this yet, MULTIPLE people are reporting this issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
The J1772. There's a temperature sensor in the socket, and one theory is that the socket gets too hot.
When I’ve experienced the issue, the J1772 was pretty warm. Definitely not burn your hand or anything, but it was putting off a good amount of heat, which makes sense given it’s 40 or 48A constantly for a few hours.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Nope. The tech was off yesterday. I did get a call from Kia customer care. Told me there was a case opened up for me and wanted to know if I had questions. YES, when will my car be done!! She assured me I should have more information tomorrow. I will update when I can.
I'm heading to my local dealer later this afternoon to fix my crunchy door handle sound (what a weird TSB), curious if you had any updates I could share with them regarding the intermittent charging issues? :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
As an update, I finally got to an electrify America fast charger and added 46kwh in 32 minutes with no errors to report. I've been charging at home at 9.2 without issue. I really think it's an issue with the home flex

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
As an update, I finally got to an electrify America fast charger and added 46kwh in 32 minutes with no errors to report. I've been charging at home at 9.2 without issue. I really think it's an issue with the home flex
I don’t think it is honestly. There’s people on the Ioniq5 forums complaining with grizzl-e, and JuiceBox EVSEs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't seen those. I have bigger fish to fry in the meantime. I ran over a heavy tarp blowing on the freeway and broke a parking sensor on the front bumper. Dealer says the bracket that holds the sensor is broken. But since the bumber is a single molded piece, I have to replace the entire bumper and they don't have any spare parts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I haven't seen those. I have bigger fish to fry in the meantime. I ran over a heavy tarp blowing on the freeway and broke a parking sensor on the front bumper. Dealer says the bracket that holds the sensor is broken. But since the bumber is a single molded piece, I have to replace the entire bumper and they don't have any spare parts
Sorry to hear that. If you check some of the other threads on this forum, there is an person who got a response from Kia Affairs that they’re aware of charging issues and are looking into it. Seems like that’s an admission of a car problem rather than a EVSE problem. Best of luck with your bumper, seems like you’ll be waiting a while…

81 - 100 of 129 Posts