Kia EV6 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Appreciate all of the forum information it is helpful. We are personally using a Grizzl-E Level 2 EV Charger on a Kia EV6. Same issues. Didn't have any issues with the charging until we've been hitting temperatures of 90+ degrees outside.

The charging process will cycle between charging and charging interrupted. DC chargers have not been an issue.

I will add my report to KIA Consumer Affairs link that has been shared above, as well.

Hopefully we can push a solution for Kia.

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Nope. The tech was off yesterday. I did get a call from Kia customer care. Told me there was a case opened up for me and wanted to know if I had questions. YES, when will my car be done!! She assured me I should have more information tomorrow. I will update when I can.
Hey! Just wanted to know if you ever got the car back and what the dealer said.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Still at the dealership. Been there 22 days now. Kia consumer affairs has been in contact with us every few days. Says the part is in, now just waiting for a tech to install the part.
Can you share some additional details about the part and the DTC? This could be the solution to others charging problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Just saw this on an Inoniq reddit thread, I wonder if anyone's dealer would be willing to try this out on the EV6.

I'm having the same issue in a hot Florida garage. Another Ioniq 5 owner recently reported the following: "So, I just got a call from the service department at my dealer. They told me that there are temperature sensors in the charging port assembly that have been malfunctioning. Hopefully, installing a new charging port unit will fix the issue. The part will come in about four or five days."

·
Registered
115 Posts
There are various problems with the AC charging system of car. All the chargers are fine. Even if the car won't charge on AC chargers, it will charge on DC fast chargers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
There are various problems with the AC charging system of car. All the chargers are fine. Even if the car won't charge on AC chargers, it will charge on DC fast chargers.
Yeah? I think we’ve all established that lol. It’s just a matter of getting Kia to admit a problem and find a fix. Kind of hard to own an EV if you can only DC charge which has its own reliability issues.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
248 Posts
That's been my theory: an over temperature reading at the socket, either due to a too sensitive temperature sensor, or a socket defect that was causing it to actually overheat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I posted under a different thread, but same issue here. Have over 2K on the car and just in the last month or so starting having charging issues. Our other EV has had no issues, so I doubt it's the charger. All the same problems as listed here (AC, L2 240V), in a hot 80-90F garage. I submitted a ticket to KIA using the link provided here.

So is this something that will be a recall, or do we have to pester a dealer?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I posted under a different thread, but same issue here. Have over 2K on the car and just in the last month or so starting having charging issues. Our other EV has had no issues, so I doubt it's the charger. All the same problems as listed here (AC, L2 240V), in a hot 80-90F garage. I submitted a ticket to KIA using the link provided here.

So is this something that will be a recall, or do we have to pester a dealer?
No one knows. Frankly no one at Kia or Hyundai has acknowledged this as a problem. There’s one person here who’s getting something replaced to “fix this”, but they haven’t told us what the part is or what the DTC is. So it’s all a giant waiting game. You can pester the dealer, just be prepared to sit without your car for 15+ days and maybe not come to a resolution.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No one knows. Frankly no one at Kia or Hyundai has acknowledged this as a problem. There’s one person here who’s getting something replaced to “fix this”, but they haven’t told us what the part is or what the DTC is. So it’s all a giant waiting game. You can pester the dealer, just be prepared to sit without your car for 15+ days and maybe not come to a resolution.
Not that this is any real solution.. but has anyone tried running a fan on the plug while charging to see if it helps?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Not that this is any real solution.. but has anyone tried running a fan on the plug while charging to see if it helps?
No, but there is a person who had success putting a fan in front of his Ioniq5 BUT he also set the charging speed to medium, which I suspect is the real solution. Personally, I think you’d be better off lowering the ChargePoint to the 50A breaker setting or setting the EV6 to medium or reduced. Those changes, in combination with not charging when it’s extremely hot outside/in the garage, seems to do the trick for most of us. If you’re having issues with all L2 chargers but your DC works fine, you’ve probs got a faulty part that does need replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's been my fix thus far is to reduce to 'medium' charging on the car, and that seems to work. We don't drive it all that often/far, so reduced level is fine for us. I may try the fan trick just to see if it helps. If it does, my guess is the temp sensor is faulty in the port. Now to convince a dealer of this!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
That's been my fix thus far is to reduce to 'medium' charging on the car, and that seems to work. We don't drive it all that often/far, so reduced level is fine for us. I may try the fan trick just to see if it helps. If it does, my guess is the temp sensor is faulty in the port. Now to convince a dealer of this!!
Yeah - I don't think pointing a fan at the charger handle is the solution but you're welcome to try. If our car is anything like the Ioniq from a charge port standpoint, theres actually several sensors. Three Temperature sensors in the Ioniq 5 charge port

101 - 120 of 129 Posts