Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an EV6 Wind AWD, and do not have a Level 2 charger set up at the house yet. I left the car plugged into the 120V AC Level 1 charger most of the day yesterday, and when I went to bed it was at about 67%. When I woke up it was over 80%, but I found that the driver and passenger side windows had opened on their own. The car was outside and it had rained so this was a bit concerning. Is this some sort of heat management issue or a bug?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
I recently acquired an EV6 Wind AWD, and do not have a Level 2 charger set up at the house yet. I left the car plugged into the 120V AC Level 1 charger most of the day yesterday, and when I went to bed it was at about 67%. When I woke up it was over 80%, but I found that the driver and passenger side windows had opened on their own. The car was outside and it had rained so this was a bit concerning. Is this some sort of heat management issue or a bug?
If it was just the front windows that were opened, it's conceivable that you inadvertently opened the windows with the key fob. Holding the unlock button on the smart key opens the front windows. There's no way to close the windows from the smart key, however.

Obviously, the car shouldn't be opening the windows of its own volition.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it was just the front windows that were opened, it's conceivable that you inadvertently opened the windows with the key fob. Holding the unlock button on the smart key opens the front windows. There's no way to close the windows from the smart key, however.

Obviously, the car shouldn't be opening the windows of its own volition.
Agree!

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Yacht Blue
160 Posts
Holding the unlock button on the smart key opens the front windows. There's no way to close the windows from the smart key, however.
Thanks for that little nugget of info! A shame they can't be closed remotely but opening them remotely will come in handy this Summer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for that little nugget of info! A shame they can't be closed remotely but opening them remotely will come in handy this Summer.
Pretty much my experience with previous cars i have owned........they will open remotely but not close.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
222 Posts
Like the OP, I accidentally did this in my 2017 Volt. Only problem, I was parked in a public lot and it was open all day! Fortunately, nothing was missing or seemed to be disturbed. I immediately turned the feature off. Did the same thing on the EV6 when I discovered it had the same feature.

I agree it would be nice in the spring, summer, and fall, depending on your location, but not for me and my peace of mind. I don’t want to be surprised again. If Kia Connect could notify me windows were open like it does when the doors are left unlocked, I might turn it back on.
Font Gas Circle Terrestrial plant Darkness

·
Registered
987 Posts
Also, the manual states that remote opening the windows unlocks the car. Why would it do that? It should be able to open the windows without unlocking the doors.

Font Document Number

Page 5-41, the last bullet point.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You are doing this with the remote… just lock it after if it’s a problem…
Right. But because there aren’t physical door locks, there isn’t a visual notification that the doors are unlocked.

Also, my current car doesn’t unlock the car when the windows are remotely opened.

Not a big deal but something owners should know.

Edit: I was wrong. My car does unlock before the windows roll even if I I press and hold the button once.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
The handles stick out when they are unlocked
Only on some trim levels. In the US, the GT-Line does this, but the Wind does not.

Whether this is good or bad is a matter of opinion.

"Hey, look, that moron left his car unlocked; the door handles are sticking out." (Been there, done that, thankfully still got the t-shirt.)

"Oops, I left the car unlocked; the door handles are sticking out. I'll lock it now." (Done this too.)

Minus the door handle actuators, the good news is nobody else knows your car is unlocked. The bad news it's not obvious to you either. It would be nice if the car locked itself when you walk away, but that's for another thread.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can close them remotely. I can’t remember off the top my head but it’s the opposite button for opening them. (Lock/unlock)
Everywhere except the USA, because regulations. Outside USA, press+hold unlock opens the front windows, press+hold lock closes them. Certainly not unique to Kia, but I had to code my USA BMW to get the roll-up functionality that's enabled everywhere else. Especially stupid given that all of the one-touch motor controllers have pinch protection (watch out though, the rear windows DO NOT, and also on the kia, if you hold the front window switches, pinch protection is disabled and they'll jam right down on your SO's arm. Makes me very annoyed that the rear windows aren't one-touch in this car, because Dog.)

Right. But because there aren’t physical door locks, there isn’t a visual notification that the doors are unlocked.

Also, my current car doesn’t unlock the cat when the windows are remotely opened.
This is equally true of any car throughout most of history without self-presenting flush handles though. My old car has the same hold lock/unlock to close/open windows, and does the same "lock/unlock at the same time" behavior. I think it makes perfect sense that holding the unlock button would unlock the car, especially since you're defacto-unlocking it by rolling the windows down.

How do you trigger your current car's windows? Buttons other than lock/unlock?

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's definitely not what you have to do for the EV6, or for my previous BMW. Click the unlock button, and the car unlocks. Then if you keep holding, the windows roll down. Ditto in reverse (except USA).
I will check. I may be eating my Sunday hat.

Edit: Yup, I’m eating my hat. Sorry. My cat did unlock before the the windows rolled down. I was wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts