Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just recently got my EV6 and I'm still learning the ropes.

I was at a charge point at a mall recently and a pretty banged up Tesla Model 3 was there hooked up on the same charger at connection A. I hooked up my cable and swiped my charge card, next thing you know I'm charging the Tesla.

I'm wondering what the hell is going on, swipe my card again to stop charging, unplug my cable, plug in my cable again and swipe my card again, then it said "finished charging" on the A connection and started charging my connection (B).

So after giving it some thought I realized that this guy went to park at a huge parking lot with 4 EV charging spaces at 2 charge points, parked in one of those 4 spots, hooked up his charging cable and then decided not to charge.

Do you guys think this guy meant for someone else to drive up, plug in, swipe his card and then go shopping without paying attention to what the tiny charge point display was saying and get a free charge out of the guy?

Is this something people do?

I thought it was just really weird that's all. One time the AC charger didn't work for me and the DC charger was occupied, so I went to park somewhere else. It seemed like not doing so would make me a jackass. In the 4 spaces at the huge parking lot today, two spaces were filled, one was the Tesla trying to steal a charge, the other one was a Kona not even hooked up.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It depends. Here in North America, most L2 stations don't require a card to activate the charge. Some will require the app or RFID card to unlock the charger from the cradle but once plugged into the car, it will automatically dispense electricity. If it doesn't require an RFID/app to unlock, it's the same as plugging in at home - just plug into the car and it'll automatically dispense electricity. It seems like it's slightly different where you are?

Also with regards to the Kona, we see that here too. It's just a learning curve for some people regarding charging etiquette. Prior, we had special parking spots for low emissions vehicles (hybrids, EVs and other low emission vehicles) so they probably just thought it's the same type of spot without realising that you need to be charging in this case.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, just recently got my EV6 and I'm still learning the ropes.

I was at a charge point at a mall recently and a pretty banged up Tesla Model 3 was there hooked up on the same charger at connection A. I hooked up my cable and swiped my charge card, next thing you know I'm charging the Tesla.

I'm wondering what the hell is going on, swipe my card again to stop charging, unplug my cable, plug in my cable again and swipe my card again, then it said "finished charging" on the A connection and started charging my connection (B).

So after giving it some thought I realized that this guy went to park at a huge parking lot with 4 EV charging spaces at 2 charge points, parked in one of those 4 spots, hooked up his charging cable and then decided not to charge.

Do you guys think this guy meant for someone else to drive up, plug in, swipe his card and then go shopping without paying attention to what the tiny charge point display was saying and get a free charge out of the guy?

Is this something people do?

I thought it was just really weird that's all. One time the AC charger didn't work for me and the DC charger was occupied, so I went to park somewhere else. It seemed like not doing so would make me a jackass. In the 4 spaces at the huge parking lot today, two spaces were filled, one was the Tesla trying to steal a charge, the other one was a Kona not even hooked up.
It seems to be js the way a lot of chargers are set up, in the UK we have some chargers like it as well,

Birmingham Central is Free parking if charging for 3 hours, turned up the other day plugged in swiped my card and the BMW in the other bay started charging, He had just plugged in to get a free parking space and made it look like he was charging to get the free parking. Some people are just jerks and dont realise how this affects others, Had to unplug his cable from charger to get my socket to start then plug his non charging cable back in.

When I left I may have accidentally swiped my RFID card again locking his cable into the charger leaving him with an awkward call to customer services to explain why!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts