Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this issue? We plug it in and within 1-2 hours it just stops and says, "The charging for EV6 failed. Please check vehicle". We then plug it back in and it charges for a while then stops again. This is for home charging. We have had the vehicle for 2500 miles and charged fine on the same home charger up until 4 charges ago. Now happens each time.
2022 AWD Wind

What we have done:
1. We had it scheduled from 10 PM to 6 AM 80% charge - changed it to after midnight in case for some reason the date was screwing something up
2. The after midnight to 6 AM change did not improve things
3. Removed the timed charging and just plugged it in and had it charge. It stopped a total of 3 times during last night charge.

Next test:
1. We have it set to charge at the medium setting and plan to do high charge setting as it was set at the factory.
2. I am going to make an appt with the dealership. I tried to contact Kia Connect but they deferred me to the dealership to trouble shoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone have this issue? We plug it in and within 1-2 hours it just stops and says, "The charging for EV6 failed. Please check vehicle". We then plug it back in and it charges for a while then stops again. This is for home charging. We have had the vehicle for 2500 miles and charged fine on the same home charger up until 4 charges ago. Now happens each time.
2022 AWD Wind

What we have done:
1. We had it scheduled from 10 PM to 6 AM 80% charge - changed it to after midnight in case for some reason the date was screwing something up
2. The after midnight to 6 AM change did not improve things
3. Removed the timed charging and just plugged it in and had it charge. It stopped a total of 3 times during last night charge.

Next test:
1. We have it set to charge at the medium setting and plan to do high charge setting as it was set at the factory.
2. I am going to make an appt with the dealership. I tried to contact Kia Connect but they deferred me to the dealership to trouble shoot.
I have the exact same problem. Same car - 2022 EV6 RWD Wind, with about 3500 miles after 3 months use.
It started recently that after plugging in at home Level 2 charger, it charges for a while, like 1 hour, then I got a msg from the App saying charging failed/stopped, pls check your vehicle. Then I disconnect the charger, re-plug in, it starts charging again then stops after some time like 1-2 hours.
I hate the fact that when the purchase is vehicle did not include the charger. I purchased a popular one on Amazon. Now I don’t know whether it’s the vehicle’s or the charger’s problem. So dumb on KIA.

What should I do?? I’m going to charge the car at a fast charging station (Electrify America) to see if it will charge without any interruption/issue/failure. But then the charging volt will be different from that of home charger. Still won’t be able to find out there exactly the problem is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. It is unfortunate but it helps to know others having the same problem. Please let me know here if u figure anything out and I will do the same. I have an appt on Fri with the dealership.

We did a fast charge today and no problem but it was only probably 20 min charge which the problem does not occur for probably an hour so not helpful.

We have a level 2 charger at work so we will try that tomorrow, we will arrive with only 30-40% so we can experiment with a multi-hour charge.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it only happens on your home charger it’s probably a bad connection at the circuit breaker,socket,plug,or charger .All these connections use tension screws which can loosen through heat cycles during use,if one gets loose it over heats reducing output until either the charger or car shuts down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update:
Charged the car at work and it was fine.
Charged the car again at home and it stopped charging after 15 or so minutes. Just said, charging stopped or whatever. The tesla charger with the teslatap still had a green light on it so it was not the charger. There was no fault on the car dash BUT at the charging port it was blinking with all lights flashing. I looked it up in the manual and it could mean the charging port or internal temps getting to hot.

I am going to call tesla tap tomorrow.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
191 Posts
Just an update:
Charged the car at work and it was fine.
Charged the car again at home and it stopped charging after 15 or so minutes. Just said, charging stopped or whatever. The tesla charger with the teslatap still had a green light on it so it was not the charger. There was no fault on the car dash BUT at the charging port it was blinking with all lights flashing. I looked it up in the manual and it could mean the charging port or internal temps getting to hot.

I am going to call tesla tap tomorrow.
I just started having this problem last night with a hardwired Wallbox Pulsar Plus 40A. The car is a Wind AWD with Tech Package with 1200 miles. It has been charging for 1.5 months without issue. Wallbox ran diagnostics and looked through the logs and there were no issues. All 4 charging lights were flashing in unison. Where did you find an explanation for this light behavior in the manual? I could not find it.

I tried charging at 120V/16A with my Shell Recharge 120/240V 40A Portable charger and it did not trigger a failure in charging after 1 hour.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
299 Posts
I had this happening at work as well on a 40 amp charger. Is working fine at home with the Webasto charger plugged into 11V.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just started having this problem last night with a hardwired Wallbox Pulsar Plus 40A. The car is a Wind AWD with Tech Package with 1200 miles. It has been charging for 1.5 months without issue. Wallbox ran diagnostics and looked through the logs and there were no issues. All 4 charging lights were flashing in unison. Where did you find an explanation for this light behavior in the manual? I could not find it.

I tried charging at 120V/16A with my Shell Recharge 120/240V 40A Portable charger and it did not trigger a failure in charging after 1 hour.
If you look in the manual page 1-35 you will see that (See attachment, I took a pic). It is listed under title of "Charting status indicator lamp for portable charger". Mine charged for 2000 miles without issue. The teslatap is warmer than the rest of the tesla charger wire.

Please check the temp of your Wallbox at the thing that plugs in, just curious if it is warm. The charger I have at work was not warm at all. For my tesla charger I even lowered the Amp from 48 to 40 AMPS.

Please please keep me updated with what you find out and I will do the same.

Thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
How many amps is the Webasto? Thx for adding this, helps with my discussion with Kia
Webasto charges at 12 Amps when connected to 110V. There are 4 LEVITON EVR40-B2C 40A EVSE at work. They gave me trouble since day one. I tried all of them and they all trigger a charging fault, sometime after 5-10 minutes, sometimes after about an hour. They are a few years old and there are other cars plugged in every day. I saw Tesla obviously, Bolt, Mack-e and a Volt.

I also have an Emporia 48 Amps in the box, I hope I can hard wire it this weekend and do more testing.

So far it never faulted at 110V and the car was only once charged to 100% using a DC charger by the dealer upon delivery. And it faulted frequently when charging using L2 LEVITON. I will need to test other L2 charger brands before I can take it to the dealer for diagnosis. I tried reduced charging and the lowest charging setting too with same results. These could be early signs of a recall.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you look in the manual page 1-35 you will see that (See attachment, I took a pic). It is listed under title of "Charting status indicator lamp for portable charger". Mine charged for 2000 miles without issue. The teslatap is warmer than the rest of the tesla charger wire.

Please check the temp of your Wallbox at the thing that plugs in, just curious if it is warm. The charger I have at work was not warm at all. For my tesla charger I even lowered the Amp from 48 to 40 AMPS.

Please please keep me updated with what you find out and I will do the same.

Thx!
Thanks for the pic. The charging lights I was referring to are the 4 next to the charging port on the EV6. All 4 were flashing in unison. There is no mention that I could find of this in the manual.

The Wallbox gets warm but not too hot to touch. I am going to check the tightness of all the wire screws in the Wallbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In this thread and others on this forum, I think we can safely conclude that the it’s the vehicle’s problem.
I charged at home L2 again, at 9:40pm. At 11:10pm I got a msg from the app saying charging failed. Charged from 14% to 33%. Re-plug-in, it starts charging again. And I expect it to stop after a couple of hours.

it’s been like that again and again recently.
Car Vehicle Light Product Black

Azure World Font Aqua Publication

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just had the same issue last night. AWD Wind w/ Tech. Had the car for almost 3 months w/ about 6k on it. Have been charging nightly w/ a Grizzle-E 40 amps on a 50 amp breaker. Never had an issue until this morning when I had a message on my phone that charging was interrupted. Looks like it charged for an hour and stopped.
Unplugged the car and replugged it in and it worked for about 45 minuted until I had to leave for work.
I don't think it's my wiring as I used this 50 amp w/ 14-50 for a Tesla for 3 years with no issues.
Will see what happens tonight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In this thread and others on this forum, I think we can safely conclude that the it’s the vehicle’s problem.
I charged at home L2 again, at 9:40pm. At 11:10pm I got a msg from the app saying charging failed. Charged from 14% to 33%. Re-plug-in, it starts charging again. And I expect it to stop after a couple of hours.

it’s been like that again and again recently.
View attachment 7354
View attachment 7355
but what do we do to get Kia or someone to resolve it? It doesn’t appear they acknowledge any issues and others on the forum are very convinced it’s a power/wiring/installation issue.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We can take the cars to the dealers for diagnostic, and we can contact Kia as well. There is so much they can hide this under the rug until is going to blow up in their face like it did for Ford.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We can take the cars to the dealers for diagnostic, and we can contact Kia as well. There is so much they can hide this under the rug until is going to blow up in their face like it did for Ford.

My local dealer has not been very responsive to my nagging and didn’t find an issue the first time I took it in for service, but maybe I need to try again? I did open a consumer affairs case so maybe Kia will be more responsive? Have you done anything yet, just curious!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Personally I have not done anything yet, I'm not driving my car much and I can get by charging twice a week with the L1 charger. For longer trips I will be either use my older ICE car or DC chargers. From what I read on forums and reddit if this only happens on L2 chargers at 220V it must be the ICCU module that converts from AC to DC not the battery or the BMS. I'm confident that if more customers report the problem Kia will be taking care of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally I have not done anything yet, I'm not driving my car much and I can get by charging twice a week with the L1 charger. For longer trips I will be either use my older ICE car or DC chargers. From what I read on forums and reddit if this only happens on L2 chargers at 220V it must be the ICCU module that converts from AC to DC not the battery or the BMS. I'm confident that if more customers report the problem Kia will be taking care of it.
I’m leaning towards the same conclusion or something similar with it being some kind of heat sensor near the port that is cutting current to protect itself. In any case, maybe my nagging to Kia and providing them with these kind of threads will get us to a solution. Hopefully others open cases or contact their dealer as well for the benefit of others.

·
Registered
191 Posts

This is a bit hyperbolic. At this point Kia is not hiding anything from anyone. I am running more tests on my situation and will take it to the dealer for the issue if it cannot be resolved.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts