Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That dip happens every time I charge at home. I have a whole house energy monitor which shows it like this:
View attachment 7546
I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus. When I asked a friend of mine (who owns 4 Bolts) about this, he said all the Bolt owners see it, and in their forum they believe it is an intentional pause to detect thermal runaway issues during charging.

The extra peaks before, during, and after the major load are my air conditioning units.
Well that is super cool to see! I believe that is the Sense monitor. Bad a$$ to be able to collect data like this.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well that is super cool to see! I believe that is the Sense monitor. Bad a$$ to be able to collect data like this.
Yes, it is a Sense monitor. It identifies various loads (devices) by their electrical signatures, and then can track the exact usage for that device. If selected, it will list the device on a timeline for you ("coffeemaker was on twice today"). Unfortunately, it doesn't identify everything, with the extra usage labeled 'other'. It hasn't yet learned the Wallbox so when it is running the 'other' bubble is quite large.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, it is a Sense monitor. It identifies various loads (devices) by their electrical signatures, and then can track the exact usage for that device. If selected, it will list the device on a timeline for you ("coffeemaker was on twice today"). Unfortunately, it doesn't identify everything, with the extra usage labeled 'other'. It hasn't yet learned the Wallbox so when it is running the 'other' bubble is quite large.
Thanks DMiller, what is really weird is that when scheduled charging is enabled, all I see is a consistent amount. The falls only happen when its turned off...but glad to hear its not abnormal.

·
Registered
438 Posts
For those interested in power monitoring, this one is probable the gold standard.
Amazing amount of configuration and reporting ability.

Local guy in the USA

I am not affiliated in any way, just a very happy user.

IoTaWatt™ Open WiFi Electric Power Monitor
Got two of those pared with EmonCMS. Buyer of my place actually requested I include the IotaWatts, so they are known out there. Guess I'll be getting some new ones for my new place.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
196 Posts
Mike, what do you think about this charge curve? The dip seems weird to me. It goes from like 9.6KWh to 1.5KWh and then back up to 9.6KWh. View attachment 7407
That is interesting but I am not sure what to make of it. It could be a thermal issue but I would think a brief dip in amps would not give it enough to time to cool enough to then charge for another 1.5- 2 hours straight.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
196 Posts
Sorry was out on vacation. I got back last night and lowered the amperage in the Wallbox app from 40A to 30A and it successfully charged for 4 hours without failing. Additionally, while on vacation I used the Shell Recharger 240V/40A Portable charger to successfully charge 2 times for multiple hours. The Shell unit was plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle charging at 225V/32A. I am going to set the Wallbox back to 40A tonight and try charging once again to test if lowering the charging to 32A is the solution until the potential thermal issue can be resolved.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone have this issue? We plug it in and within 1-2 hours it just stops and says, "The charging for EV6 failed. Please check vehicle". We then plug it back in and it charges for a while then stops again.
I had a similar issue with the level 2 charger at work. I couldn't get it to work. It would start charging, then after a minute or 2, would say charging interrupted. I lowered the charging speed on the car to medium and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I had an issue with the 40 amp charger. I lowered the charging speed to medium and it worked instantly. Try that.
Yeah, agree with your solution.

Definitely put a ticket in on this with Kia. I did and they said that they are aware and working on a fix. It is good if more people put tickets/complaints in so they fix this faster.

Here is a link:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Can you paste in what they told you? My ticket was basically blown off.
Seems their first response below lets me know they do realize there is a problem and they are working on the fix. I am happy that there is an ability to easily put complaints in with Kia and happy for this forum as I would have been frustrated if I felt I was the only one. It feels that the dealerships are not helpful as they seem not very knowledgeable about EV's yet.

Here's the responses:

"Thank you for contacting Kia Consumer Assistance. We have received your email advising you were having Battery Charging issues when charging at home on your Level 2 Charging Station, but you have adjusted the Amperage of the charger and that fixed the issue. We are aware of other customers having to change the Amperage on their Charger also. If you have any other issues, please let us know or take vehicle to your Local Kia Sales department for more assistance. Thank you for the information.
Sincerely,
Kia America"

My follow up question: Are they working on a fix? I want to be able to charge it fast, at the max it will allow for level 2 charging at home. If they are working on a fix, do you know when that will happen? Will it be over the air update or will I have to bring it in to the dealership?

Kia's response:
"I have not been told of a fix yet. But all issues are being reviewed. Kia will advise customers when a Fix is available. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Kia America"

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seems their first response below lets me know they do realize there is a problem and they are working on the fix. I am happy that there is an ability to easily put complaints in with Kia and happy for this forum as I would have been frustrated if I felt I was the only one. It feels that the dealerships are not helpful as they seem not very knowledgeable about EV's yet.

Here's the responses:

"Thank you for contacting Kia Consumer Assistance. We have received your email advising you were having Battery Charging issues when charging at home on your Level 2 Charging Station, but you have adjusted the Amperage of the charger and that fixed the issue. We are aware of other customers having to change the Amperage on their Charger also. If you have any other issues, please let us know or take vehicle to your Local Kia Sales department for more assistance. Thank you for the information.
Sincerely,
Kia America"

My follow up question: Are they working on a fix? I want to be able to charge it fast, at the max it will allow for level 2 charging at home. If they are working on a fix, do you know when that will happen? Will it be over the air update or will I have to bring it in to the dealership?

Kia's response:
"I have not been told of a fix yet. But all issues are being reviewed. Kia will advise customers when a Fix is available. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Kia America"
That’s much better than my response. They basically called me and told me the car would need to be taken back to the dealer for diagnosis, completely missing the point of my issue lol. But hey, your response is somewhat promising. Let’s hope we hear more soon! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
73 Posts
"Thank you for contacting Kia Consumer Assistance. We have received your email advising you were having Battery Charging issues when charging at home on your Level 2 Charging Station, but you have adjusted the Amperage of the charger and that fixed the issue. We are aware of other customers having to change the Amperage on their Charger also."
To be clear, my solution didn't mean lowering the amperage on the charger. I tried that. I lowered it from 40 to 32, then kept moving down. It still wouldn't work. Only after I went to the vehicle's settings and lowered the charging speed on the vehicle itself, did it finally work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To be clear, my solution didn't mean lowering the amperage on the charger. I tried that. I lowered it from 40 to 32, then kept moving down. It still wouldn't work. Only after I went to the vehicle's settings and lowered the charging speed on the vehicle itself, did it finally work.
Yeah, but that’s essentially the same workaround. We’re reducing the amount of amperage the vehicle therefore reducing heat. It’s all relative, different ways to skin a cat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, but that’s essentially the same workaround. We’re reducing the amount of amperage the vehicle therefore reducing heat. It’s all relative, different ways to skin a cat.
But it didn't actually reduce the amperage. I just looked since I'm charging right now. On my 40amp charger, Its currently running at 43amps, 9-10 kw. This is on the medium charging setting of the EV6.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, its a bad solution. By the explanation from Kia, the customer would keep trying to lower the amps on the charger, and getting the same result. Need to lower the charging speed on the car, which they don't mention. Final result may be the same, but the process is different, and one leads to a solution while the other does not.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also, its a bad solution. By the explanation from Kia, the customer would keep trying to lower the amps on the charger, and getting the same result. Need to lower the charging speed on the car, which they don't mention. Final result may be the same, but the process is different, and one leads to a solution while the other does not.
It is mentioned, it’s in the manual and on the charge setting screen in the infotainment system.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts