Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried using a 350 kW Electrify America charging station over the weekend to see how fast my FE could charge. The battery was at 46% when I started the session. After 15 min 19 sec, it had increased to 60%, with a charge of 13kWh. This seems a lot slower than the sppeds Kia was advertising for fast charging. Am II missing something?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried using a 350 kW Electrify America charging station over the weekend to see how fast my FE could charge. The battery was at 46% when I started the session. After 15 min 19 sec, it had increased to 60%, with a charge of 13kWh. This seems a lot slower than the sppeds Kia was advertising for fast charging. Am II missing something?
Seems like a broken charger...
Check ABRP (A Better Route Planner) as people will post up to date status of chargers.

Are you sure you plugged in a CCS charger and not the J1772 (which is AC)?
Sorry if my questions are dumb...We're getting our car back from the spa (PPF and Ceramic) tomorrow so we'll be following your lead with similar charging experiments :)
Also, what was the outside temperature?
There is a "Charging curve" where the charging may start slow and then speed up.
You may need to be patient to watch it climb, and finally you'll likely see that curve behavior more when you're at 10% instead of 50%...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like a broken charger...
Check ABRP (A Better Route Planner) as people will post up to date status of chargers.

Are you sure you plugged in a CCS charger and not the J1772 (which is AC)?
Sorry if my questions are dumb...We're getting our car back from the spa (PPF and Ceramic) tomorrow so we'll be following your lead with similar charging experiments :)
The EA session summary shows it was a CCS 350 kW connector. The maximum charging speed was 68.9 kW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The cold can frequently impact the DC fast charge time of Ioniq 5 and EV6. There's a bunch of youtube videos on this, but this one was pretty comprehensive with the Ioniq 5 (filmed mostly in Colorado):

It'll be a bit different with the battery heater that your EV6 FE has, but still I would not expect to see the max speeds advertised unless the conditions are absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did a 48%-79% charge yesterday on a 350kw EA station in Indiana at 30F. Max charging speed was 136kw. Took 23 min to charge. From all the videos i have watched, charging speed and range are going to be way different Spring/Summer/Fall vs Winter

·
Registered
67 Posts
It also severely matters how warm your battery is. Need to have driven for quite a while prior to DC charging to see max speeds. This is why preconditioning is so important. I hope we get that in our 2022 vehicles eventually

·
Registered
41 Posts
Temperature outside of 85 deg F - 29.5 deg C I just charged 32 kW from 13%-56% in 11 minutes. I walked away so not sure on peak charging speed. 350 kW EA station in Santa Clarita with only 1 other car at the station.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Remember, Kia only said how fast it could charge, not how much electricity Electrify America will supply. Its like going to a gas station, when only a couple of customers there, the pumps are fast, when every pump is pumping, they seem to slow down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I suggest some here watch a few of the Bjorn Nyland videos on ‘coldgating’. It’s usually not the charger, but the fact that the car’s battery is too cold to accept a relatively fast charge. Even having the heater doesn’t guarantee the battery will be at a suitable temperature for anything approaching a fast charge.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line (AWD) White
110 Posts
Notice the small numbers by the advertising...
Wood Beige Flooring Pattern Font

So the fine print way down on the pages contain these disclaimers
Azure Purple Rectangle Font Aqua

So yeah... they have said that its not always possible to get those numbers... it depends...

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
I just logged an amazing charging session at EA today using one of their 350kW units with an outside temp of around ~70 degrees and a decent amount of driving beforehand to warm up the battery, checkout the summary! View attachment 4520
you use up your free kWh’s already?

where are you located that they charge per minute rather than by kWh? All the EA units around me are $0.43/kWh if you’re not a monthly pass member.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you use up your free kWh’s already?

where are you located that they charge per minute rather than by kWh? All the EA units around me are $0.43/kWh if you’re not a monthly pass member.
I'm in Georgia and so far from what I can tell all the public fast chargers are priced by the minute rather than by actual energy amount used! So the faster charging EV you have the better value it is, only $0.32/min at EA stations and with how fast the EV6 charges it barely costs anything to fill up, saving my free charging credit for road trips when I travel to other places that charge by kW instead of by time.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
I'm in Georgia and so far from what I can tell all the public fast chargers are priced by the minute rather than by actual energy amount used! So the faster charging EV you have the better value it is, only $0.32/min at EA stations and with how fast the EV6 charges it barely costs anything to fill up, saving my free charging credit for road trips when I travel to other places that charge by kW instead of by time.
I just looked at their website. Very few states are per minute. You’re lucky!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i use the EA chargers weekly driving from OKC to Denton. TX -- I've seen mine charge at a rate of 230kWh before...when the battery was really low. as it approaches 80% it slows to ~120kWh...and over 80% will really slow down. I had mine go from 8% - 90% in ~30 mins.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here in CA we can only wish for per-minute charging; if I hadn't any free EA charging credits left my recent EA charging session would have cost me $23.65 for 55 kWh.
See, this doesn't really bother me at all. That's still ~15% cheaper than gas in my previous car even at $4 a gallon which we haven't had in CA since early pandemic. Not that I was driving an insight, but it just doesn't feel like a cost worth thinking much about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts