Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone know the overall charging capacity of the car if you were to charge to 100%? I'm not sure what the actual usable capacity is and I'm trying to see what it would cost to charge so I can run comparisons between my plug-in hybrid for a break-even analysis. My cost is $0.13 per kWh and if the max is 77.4 kWh, then the cost to charge would be just over $10 to fully charge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone know the overall charging capacity of the car if you were to charge to 100%? I'm not sure what the actual usable capacity is and I'm trying to see what it would cost to charge so I can run comparisons between my plug-in hybrid for a break-even analysis. My cost is $0.13 per kWh and if the max is 77.4 kWh, then the cost to charge would be just over $10 to fully charge.
imo for this kind of analysis you are better off using your daily avg miles travelled divided by avg mi/kwh x your elect cost to get your daily cost. Seems like people are reporting high 3's mi/kwh in summer temps and low 3's in winter temps.
So 20 miles / 3.5 mi/kwh x 0.13 = $0.74/day
If you want to use 0-100% then using the 77kwh battery it would cost 77kwh x 0.13 = $10 for a full charge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
imo for this kind of analysis you are better off using your daily avg miles travelled divided by avg mi/kwh x your elect cost to get your daily cost. Seems like people are reporting high 3's mi/kwh in summer temps and low 3's in winter temps.
So 20 miles / 3.5 mi/kwh x 0.13 = $0.74/day
If you want to use 0-100% then using the 77kwh battery it would cost 77kwh x 0.13 = $10 for a full charge.
Ultimately it's not going to be 0-100%, more like 20% to 80% or something to 80%. Cost per mile is probably the way to calculate things and right now my current plug-in hybrid is getting about $0.06/mi. If it costs $10 for say 275 miles of range, then that's $0.035/mi. I guess there's no real sense in trying to figure out a break-even. I also have a free 240V charger a mile up the road from me that's free for 2 hours so I can grab some free charging off of that if I want to save some more money.

I'm curious if I'd be able to get over 300mi of range because I normally drive my plug-in with the climate control off to save energy. Doing that, I can get an extra 8 miles of range (my car's rated to 17mi of EV).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Depends on your driving style. I average 3.1m/kw over 1500 miles. I drive mostly freeway miles at 70-80mph. I did yesterday a shorter (10 miles) city drive and I averaged 4.5m/kw, so very big variance. My mental math says that the 275 miles range is based on an estimated 3.6m/kw. If you can achieve better efficiency --> you get more miles from a full battery. If you average less, then you get lass miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, most of my driving is local and 90% rural driving under 55mph. For highway trips, I aim for 62-63mph in 55 zones and 70 in 70 zones for best efficiency and most highway driving is for work anyway so no need to rush. I feel I can win that game if I had the EV6.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts