Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be test driving an EV6 soon and wanted to ask EV6 owners how they find the climate control buttons. I hate touch screen buttons because I like to feel the buttons while driving, without taking my eyes off the road. Touch buttons force me to take my eyes off the road, which I find distracting and potentially dangerous.

I drove a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and hated the fact that the climate buttons were all touch, for this very reason.

On the EV6, I like that there is a physical knob to control the temperature, but everything else is touch, including the button which switches from climate to media, so that the same knob then controls the volume.

So, can I ask EV6 owners how long they have had the car and how they have found the balance of touch and physical buttons?
Do you find the non-touch knob is enough? Or do you find yourself accidentally pressing other touch buttons
, or taking your eyes off the road to fiddle with the other controls?
I am not one of those people who set one temperature and never change it!

There was also a discussion on how some versions have touch buttons for heated seats, and some have physical buttons. What a mess!

PS On Teslas you can control pretty much anything with voice controls; I contacted KIA UK, which refused to send a PDF owner's manual, but confirmed that voice commands cannot change the temperature or control the vents.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's a very small issue for me. I have learnt to rest my hand on the centre console and then use the controls. The knobs really help but I wouldn't say it's great. I use the kbos for zooming in and out on the nav map and for temperature. I use the volume control on the steering wheel. rather than switch. The voice controls is poor when driving due to background noise. I have used it especially when I can't find something but it's not my go-to control method and as you say you have to guess the commands.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When all is said and done just how often do you change the temperature, fan and other climate controls?

More likely to alter volume, but that is also on the steering wheel anyway.

My Volvo allows voice change of temperature, heated seats and steering wheel heat amongst many others. Does the EV6 voice menu include these?

Bruce

·
Registered
31 Posts
I share your dislike of touch buttons, and also consider them more dangerous than physical buttons. However all new relatively complex cars seem to be adopting them in preference to physical buttons. One of the reasons I chose the EV6 was I considered it the least bad in this respect.

I agree with jongodfrey's comments. You learn ways to cope with them. Being able to control map zoom with a knob rather than messing around on the touch screen is a big gain for me. Until they fix the widespread problems with the heating system you are likely to be interacting with the heating and ventilation controls far more than you might normally expect to.

I would not rely on the voice control to be much help. I have only found three useful commands (satnav voice on and off, and display map). It seems to be incapable of anything else I have wanted it to do.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,467 Posts
When I test drove the car I used the steering wheel to control the audio etc and left the touch pad on the heating settings, could turn the knob up and down with ease to control the temperature and was not too much trouble to alter the fan speed, thinks its like anything new, once you have had the car for a little while you get used to the layout quickly.

Reactions: arnsbrae

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for this extremely useful comment of yours. You have added so much to the discussion with such precious insights that I shall forever be in your debt!

I had, in fact, linked to an online (non-PDF) manual for the EV6 in another post of mine. However, it doesn't provide details on voice control. Kia UK then sent this link: Voice recognition system which doesn't add much, either. I then asked if temperature or heated seats can be controled with voice commands like in a Tesla, and they said no.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When all is said and done just how often do you change the temperature, fan and other climate controls?
Quite a lot, actually! :) And so does my partner. But maybe that's just us and we are not very representative.

I would not rely on the voice control to be much help. I have only found three useful commands (satnav voice on and off, and display map). It seems to be incapable of anything else I have wanted it to do.
Voice control seems to be one thing where Teslas have a clear edge over the competition

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't have an EV6 yet, but I personally do adjust the climate a fair amount while driving in my current car. However, I think the benefit of physical buttons with regards to not taking ones eyes off the road is overstated. I still have to look down even with physical buttons, and I imagine I'm not alone there.

For me in a cold climate, the bigger concern is being able to activate the buttons with gloves on. I suppose a heated steering wheel would help with that though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had, in fact, linked to an online (non-PDF) manual for the EV6 in another post of mine. However, it doesn't provide details on voice control. Kia UK then sent this link: Voice recognition system which doesn't add much, either. I then asked if temperature or heated seats can be controled with voice commands like in a Tesla, and they said no.
I found this, it is from a Stinger forum, but the commands may? work on the EV6.

Unfortunately I can't try them out as I am still waiting for mine🙁

If anything does work, please let us all know.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have an EV6 yet, but I personally do adjust the climate a fair amount while driving in my current car. However, I think the benefit of physical buttons with regards to not taking ones eyes off the road is overstated. I still have to look down even with physical buttons, and I imagine I'm not alone there.
For me in a cold climate, the bigger concern is being able to activate the buttons with gloves on. I suppose a heated steering wheel would help with that though.
I guess we are all different. In my current petrol car, I don't look down. I know there are 3 knobs, I remember what each does, and I can use them without taking my eyes off the road.
But I agree not being able to use gloves is a biggie for me. Maybe I'm in the minority, msot people I know say they don't like to drive with gloves, but I'm used to it

I found this, it is from a Stinger forum, but the commands may? work on the EV6.

Interesting - so if it's the same I should be able to say "warmer" or "cooler", like in a Tesla. Kia UK emailed that's not an option. I'll try in my test drive. But the list you posted doesn't have controls for the heated steering wheel or heated seats.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Interesting - so if it's the same I should be able to say "warmer" or "cooler", like in a Tesla. Kia UK emailed that's not an option. I'll try in my test drive. But the list you posted doesn't have controls for the heated steering wheel or heated seats.
Hmm, didn't notice that, has a load for ventilated seats which is strange about not having heated seat commands.

Maybe you could try "Turn on the driver's heated seat" instead of "Turn on the driver's air ventilation seat"

As I said, don't know if it will work, but all the voice command stuff I found is mainly for Music/Navigation/Phone commands.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 Moon - Passed on my FE
143 Posts
I am definitely unique with regards to controls. I would say almost never touch them. I use CarPlay for everything, auto climate is almost always same temp so doesn't need to be touched. Never listen to radio.

Now that was all in previous cars. I don't have an EV6 yet and never even seen one in person - maybe I will find I use them more for some reason in the EV6 but don't think I will.

There definitely is mixed reviews with the controls in the EV6 from the hundreds of videos I have watched and in these forums. I think most reviewers play with them much more than they would if they owned the car though. At least way more than I ever would.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I test drove the EV6 and loved it. I forgot to try the voice commands because, to be honest, I didn't feel I needed it, since the temperature control was a physical know and not one of those touch screen thingies I hate with a passion!

·
Registered
51 Posts

I got my EV6 today, and during the handover I asked if the salesman knew the voice commands, and nope, nobody knew them.

However, I'd read this list a few days ago, so I tried "Warmer". That set the temperature to 26°C and cranked the fans up. I was chuffed to bits.

Then I tried "Cooler", and it searched for places that sounded a bit like cooler. It came up with suggestions all over the world, with the closest in North Africa. I tried several times, and so did the sakes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.