Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line e-AWD
43 Posts
Thanks for this post, and hi from another Illinois resident! I considered some of the cars you did as well, and am glad you seem to like the Kia more than the Tesla - I've heard enough Autopilot and build quality horror stories to also prefer the Kia.

As for tax rebate - did you consider the Illinois EV rebate program too? It's an extra $4k but you have to file it within 90 days, so I suppose if you're debating between two cars and one of them has a long wait list, you can't file it in time. Not sure how long you've had your EV6 so maybe you are still eligible.

Unlocking was the same easy matter on the Tesla and again better than my Kia which requires the same routine as locking it
While locking is annoying (my cheaper, older Bolt does it, after all) ... for unlocking you can set it to be automatic I think? At least for the GT-Line trim. If I approach the driver side door, that door unlocks, if I approach the passenger side door, all doors unlock. I can automate the trunk door as well but chose not to.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD Yacht Blue
210 Posts
Steering assistance and stop-n-go works well for me. IIRC, steering assistance requires a route set in the onboard Kia navigation. Steering assistance on higher speed curves, such as transitions between highways, can be as exciting as a roller coaster.
I don't think you need a route set in Nav for steering assist, but for it to slow down before a turn, it needs the Nav on as it sees the upcoming turn in your route through the mapping, not radar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks for this post, and hi from another Illinois resident! I considered some of the cars you did as well, and am glad you seem to like the Kia more than the Tesla - I've heard enough Autopilot and build quality horror stories to also prefer the Kia.

As for tax rebate - did you consider the Illinois EV rebate program too? It's an extra $4k but you have to file it within 90 days, so I suppose if you're debating between two cars and one of them has a long wait list, you can't file it in time. Not sure how long you've had your EV6 so maybe you are still eligible.

While locking is annoying (my cheaper, older Bolt does it, after all) ... for unlocking you can set it to be automatic I think? At least for the GT-Line trim. If I approach the driver side door, that door unlocks, if I approach the passenger side door, all doors unlock. I can automate the trunk door as well but chose not to.
I got my EV6 in early February and there was no Illinois rebate at that time. The car did qualify for the full $7500 federal rebate.

The Wind trim, even with Tech Package, does not unlock or lock the doors automatically. A door handle press or the key fob must be used to both lock and unlock the doors. I can set the truck to auto open on approach, but I have that disabled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you’re talking about the EV6’s HDA2, we must be driving very different cars. Mine activates with a single push of a button on the steering wheel, no need to move my hand to a stalk. Simply get to the speed I want and touch the button. It stays in the lane around curves and has never disengaged without me pushing one of 2 buttons or touching the brake pedal.

It also works great in traffic, slowing to a stop and automatically starting back up when the car in front moves away. Honestly, it did take a bit of getting used to HDA2 in traffic, because I always wanted to slow earlier. Changing the radar distance has helped.

I had Chevy’s version of “adaptive cruise control” in my 2017 Volt. It was way better than the same in my wife’s 2017 RAV4. But both are light years behind the EV6 and it’s likely years behind FSD.

If I’ve misread or misunderstood what you are saying, I apologize. And what you experience is definitely yours to experience.
With my Teslas, I just enter and highway or start driving down whatever road I am on, and once I hit the desire speed, I press the stalk and lane keep assists activates as to ACC. With the EV6, indeed it is likewise just a push of the button on wheel, but then I need to activate cruise control, set the speed. But the main issue is that I can drive up the canyons in Salt Lake without touching my wheel in my Tesla, while the EV6 will not track around any of the multitude of curves in the road. And this is not to mention all the other self-driving abilities of the Tesla like stop-sign and traffic light recognition, and automatic lane change when there is slow moving traffic. There are so many things to like about the EV6, but HDA2 is not one of them. Hopefully there will be updates to improve its performance, other than when it does an adequate job on an interstate divided highway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
With my Teslas, I just enter and highway or start driving down whatever road I am on, and once I hit the desire speed, I press the stalk and lane keep assists activates as to ACC. With the EV6, indeed it is likewise just a push of the button on wheel, but then I need to activate cruise control, set the speed. But the main issue is that I can drive up the canyons in Salt Lake without touching my wheel in my Tesla, while the EV6 will not track around any of the multitude of curves in the road. And this is not to mention all the other self-driving abilities of the Tesla like stop-sign and traffic light recognition, and automatic lane change when there is slow moving traffic. There are so many things to like about the EV6, but HDA2 is not one of them. Hopefully there will be updates to improve its performance, other than when it does an adequate job on an interstate divided highway.
Autopilot also avoids collisions...will actually move over a lane if you are about to get side swiped by a car in the other lane that moves over unexpectedly. Its so good that it provides a false sense of security so a lot of people just stop paying attention which leads to trouble. I think Kia's solution is very good but doesn't give that same sense of feeling as the Tesla system so I pay much more attention. Of course, its also Tesla's fault for advertising their safety system as "full self drive" or "autopilot". It should be called co-pilot.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line e-AWD
43 Posts
With the EV6, indeed it is likewise just a push of the button on wheel, but then I need to activate cruise control, set the speed
It defaults to your current speed, I think. IIRC Tesla let you tell it the speed delta you want compared to the speed limit, which is admittedly nice. I just got into the habit of getting to the speed I want before activating ACC/HDA.

Once you activate it, you can resume the previous set speed anytime during the same trip without first getting to that speed again.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
459 Posts
Interesting! Makes me wonder if that's also only in the premier trim for the Bolt. Seems like a weird feature to reserve to the top trim.
I seem to recall that on my 2017 Volt, it required Premier trim to get the push the little chrome button to unlock and walk-away auto-lock features/functionality. Probably the same on the Bolt. Guess I could look it up, but I traded the Volt for the EV6 and have no interest in buying a Bolt. So, nah. LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts
I seem to recall that on my 2017 Volt, it required Premier trim to get the push the little chrome button to unlock and walk-away auto-lock features/functionality. Probably the same on the Bolt. Guess I could look it up, but I traded the Volt for the EV6 and have no interest in buying a Bolt. So, nah. LOL
Still an owner of a Volt and yes your memory is correct, that is how it works for the Volt.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line e-AWD
43 Posts
I seem to recall that on my 2017 Volt, it required Premier trim to get the push the little chrome button to unlock and walk-away auto-lock features/functionality. Probably the same on the Bolt
I had that Volt too! Couldn't find the one with ACC in stock, though I hear the EV6's is much superior anyway.

Returned the lease early to get the Bolt since we needed a car seat and the Volt ... suffice to say does not make it that easy to get things in and out of the doors. Otherwise it was a great car. Especially since we could not get a home charger at the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts

The 2022 Illinois EV rebate has two phases: the first is for vehicles purchased from July 1, 2022 through Sept 30, 2022, and the second is from Nov 1, 2022 through Jan 31, 2023. Unfortunately, we took delivery in May. Don't know why there are gaps. Also, no rebates for home chargers are currently in the mix.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts