Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because this is such a hot-button issue for new EV6 owners, I thought it made sense to put a thread together where we (particularly those of us who unknowingly signed up for princess-and-the-pea matte paint) discuss what we're doing to protect our cars, where we're taking them, and what we're paying. My hope is that it will help avoid any one of us (other than maybe me) massively overpaying for a ceramic coat or PPF wrap because pricing info isn't easy to come by.

I'll go first. Picked up our Steel Matte Gray EV6 FE from the dealership and drove straight to Danvers Hand Wash & Detail, Middleton, Ma, for a full-body PPF wrap. This will cost us (gulp) $6,500. But hey, I didn't get the pretty color to not look pretty, right? Will post pics when it's done.

Who's next?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its just my opinion, but spending $6,500 to wrap this car is just stupid. Yes, stupid. Its money down the drain. You should simply have picked another color or lived with the paint. I have already been to local detailing supply shop and they have plenty of products that clean matte paint and protect it well. And more like $50 for both. there simply is no justification that PPF wrap should be $6,500. And don't tell me about the curves and intircate labor. the people who put on wraps are not even required to graduate high school and have no significant liability to worry about. They are not artists, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In the bay area (california) I have paid $8k for full Suntek ppf on a GT3RS and $3500 for full front end and hips on another RS. I have had ppf done to several cars and $6500 for full ppf sounds in the ball park.

I will have this yacht blue full paint correction, full front end ppf, 5 year ceramic done in March when they make there way back up this way. Paint correction and ceramic is $1500.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
189 Posts
Everything is a choice. Some think that spending $5000 more to get an AWD for a 2 sec faster Zero to 60MPH might not be a good use of money. Others think it well worth the money and want the top of the line. It’s their choice.

I keep my cars for a while and I like to keep them nice. I have some experience when it comes to PPF and Ceramic. I have had multiple cars with both. The ceramic protects the complete surface for years from any contaminants. It stops light scratches and makes the car very easy to clean. PPF does a great job protecting the car from rocks and deeper scratches. I even put it on my Honda, NOT a $60k car. I had it put on the front half of the car. It looks like the day I bought it 5 years ago. No rock chips on the front at all. I did not put it on another SUV (long story, my mistake). Regardless of how much I kept it waxed and washed the front had a lot of rock chips after 5 years.

I had PPF put on the front and rocker panels of my Lexus, then had ceramic put on the entire car. It looks great. I am constantly getting complements on it. It looks better than the day I brought it home. The guy that did the PPF also does the applications for the Ferrari dealer. He is very meticulous and does a fantastic job. It is worth it to me. I did not ask him what his education background was. I pay him to do a job and he does it extremely well.

I am planning to do the EV6 with the same treatment that I did my Lexus. I would do it regardless of the color. The PPF is $2600 for the full frontal with rocker panels and the Ceramic is $1500 for the entire car. The film will be Xpel Stealth and ceramic Modesta BC-M.

I use Atlanta Protective Films in Roswell Georgia for the PPF and Red’s Detail Co in Marietta for the ceramic. I can highly recommend both.

This is the Lexus

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
[QUOTE="EV61ED4ME, post: 20353, member:
I keep my cars for a while and I like to keep them nice. I have some experience when it comes to PPF and Ceramic. I have had multiple cars with both.
[/QUOTE]

I am curious as to how each holds up & protects under high altitude sun & dry air? It is a rare occasion where an outdoor product makes it in very good condition to a warranted lifetime here in Colorado.

·
Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
227 Posts
Great idea for a thread.

I get my gray matte FE back tomorrow from Vogue Autowerks in Kirkland WA. I decided on a Feinlab coating specifically for matte paint. Cost was $800 with a 3-year estimated lifespan (but no warranty.) This included windshield and front windows as well as wheels (with different products) The owner and detailer were both clear that most advertised lifespans are exaggerated, and regular inspections/touch-ups are necessary to keep it going as long as possible.

I spent way too much time reading about ceramic coatings. I suspect (and others on this forum have stated) that it doesn't really matter much if it is matte-specific (although one detailer said the usual ceramic would probably bring the matte to a satin.) But it made sense to me to use a matte-specific if I could find it (e.g., Feinlab, Dr. Beasley's). Before this EV6 I'd never even been to a detailer before and was strictly a auto carwash kind of guy. I guess my life will change. I also think a low power cordless pressure washer is in my future.

Edit:
I ended up talking to a fair number of detailers in person and by phone. I was struck by how friendly and knowledgeable they were -- they just love cars!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its just my opinion, but spending $6,500 to wrap this car is just stupid. Yes, stupid. Its money down the drain. You should simply have picked another color or lived with the paint. I have already been to local detailing supply shop and they have plenty of products that clean matte paint and protect it well. And more like $50 for both. there simply is no justification that PPF wrap should be $6,500. And don't tell me about the curves and intircate labor. the people who put on wraps are not even required to graduate high school and have no significant liability to worry about. They are not artists, etc.
Hah.. All I can do is laugh when people bring traditional education into an argument to prove what somethings worth. Sorry but someones real world education is more important to me. And this is very labor intensive and requires detail oriented skill to be done correctly. Also a reputable company will carry insurance and warranty their work. So you're not just paying some laborer with little education to stick some film on your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does Anyone have any recommendations for a shop/business that does ceramic in the SF Bay Area? I just bought a red EV6 AWD and want to keep it nice… this car is so awesome…. not sure I’m willing to pay 6500 for PPF but I’m definitely willing to spend some money for a ceramic coat. I traded in a 2021 Venza Hybrid which I took real good care off but no amount of wax kept it from having a few 1-2 mm scratches from debris. I felt that paintcoat was so thin that I wouldn’t take much to chip it. Well if anyone has any suggestions it wouldn’t be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
306 Posts
For my FE in Steel Matte Gray, I paid about $1900 for ceramic pro coating + $360 for paint correction on the black parts to address the scratches “circle swirls” on the car from when I picked it up at the dealer. I wanted to do PPF but it was to expensive for me. I’m glad with I went with Ceramic Pro coating which includes a lifetime warranty as long as I get yearly inspections to ensure the coat is up to standards. Any issues with the coat, they will fix. I did it through Fantazy Motorsports in Northridge, California.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ceramic coating and the whole "9H" hardness rating...is not moes scale. It's Pencil scale. That's not very hard...at all. So Ceramic doesn't provide hardly any additional protection over top of paint's hardness. The benefit is it can become a sacrificial layer for the paint under neath when you're ready to polish and recoat. But....you cannot polish on a matte car. So it's not providing any real benefit.

PPF is the only real protection for Matte...and it's mandatory IMO. Touch ups and repaints are never going to look good. And I've never had a car more than a year that I didn't have to touch up at some point due to rock chips, door dings, kids, etc.

You can trust me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. (and previously was a semi-pro detailer (side hustle))

·
Registered
119 Posts
For my FE in Steel Matte Gray, I paid about $1900 for ceramic pro coating + $360 for paint correction on the black parts to address the scratches “circle swirls” on the car from when I picked it up at the dealer. I wanted to do PPF but it was to expensive for me. I’m glad with I went with Ceramic Pro coating which includes a lifetime warranty as long as I get yearly inspections to ensure the coat is up to standards. Any issues with the coat, they will fix. I did it through Fantazy Motorsports in Northridge, California.
Did you ask how they plan on doing that? Because fixing a ceramic coating means polishing it. And....you cannot polish matte.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I talked with an almost local shop that has Ceramic Pro. Silver Package (multi-step paint correction and polish, 1 layer of 9H, 1 layer of top coat, 5-year warranty) was about $1500 and Gold Package (multi-step paint correction and polish, 4 layers of 9H, 1 layer of top coat, lifetime warranty) was about $2100 -- both include film on windows. He recommended the Silver Package. The annual touch-up cost $199. He also said to consider Xpel Fusion Plus ceramic coating--they have had good experience with this coating on matte paint. Did not ask the price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did it through Fantazy Motorsports in Northridge, California.
I think this is a big part of the decision-making process. I'm north of Boston and drive up to New Hampshire and Maine a lot. Six months of the year, the roads are covered in snow, ice, road salt or mud, and it's impossible to keep a car from getting scratched and dinged in those conditions. If I still lived in the Bay Area and my big worry was sun damage, I'd go with ceramic coating, but the bigger worry here is impacts and scratches, which only PPF will help with. I'm fortunate to be in a position where the money isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
306 Posts
Did you ask how they plan on doing that? Because fixing a ceramic coating means polishing it. And....you cannot polish matte.
I'm not sure, they're the pros at it so I'll know more when I get it inspected next year. I agree that PPF provides full protection. At least for now the ceramic coating protects my paint and keeps it clean. It doesn't protect from deep scratches like PPF does with the self healing properties.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If I lived in that climate I would probably take it to a paint shop, spray it with clear POR15 and then an oil based acrylic paint. That way nothing in the climate will ever harm the finish.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Seems to me that PPF on the hood, fenders, doors is optimal and ceramic on the roof and rear end. Videos I have been watching allow the detail shops to simply bring up the car on their computer software, select the pieces they which to be cut from the film roll and the computer cuts out those pieces. So less material and time should save a lot of money and protect the areas most likely to be dinged, scratched and stoned.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts