Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I looked these numbers I doubletaked - 6.34 km/kWh which is 3.9miles/kWh... which lines up with your numbers (50miles with 12.92 kWh used). That's crazy efficient. Usually 2.8miles/kWh is the average for an EV on the highway going 70mph. City driving I'd get 3.5 miles (not km) per kWh with my ID.4 Pro which was pretty efficient.... not as much as a Model 3 though (lighter, etc)

What speed were you going?

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
The video shows the actual average speed was 71.9 mph (7:20/7:59), he only aimed at 133 kph, but there were various slowdowns etc. So, relative to the Model 3 LR in the chart above, which shows about 300ish mile range at 72 mph, the 190 mile range in the EV6 is not good. But, is this chart above theoretical or actual tested Model 3 range? I have trouble believing it is actually measured Model 3 range...but don't really know...

·
Registered
70 Posts
The video shows the actual average speed was 71.9 mph (7:20/7:59), he only aimed at 133 kph, but there were various slowdowns etc. So, relative to the Model 3 LR in the chart above, which shows about 300ish mile range at 72 mph, the 190 mile range in the EV6 is not good. But, is this chart above theoretical or actual tested Model 3 range? I have trouble believing it is actually measured Model 3 range...but don't really know...
Yes. The EPA range is 353 but real world is 310. The real world miles per kWh is considered the gold standard for efficiency.

Tesla Model 3 is so refined (almost flawless product IMO - but it is a sedan) that this isn't surprising. The Model Y (EV6 comparable) isn't as refined.

EDIT: Not an apples to apples comparison because the video is driven in cold weather (under 10C) which drastically reduces range. You can lose 50% of your range in near freezing temps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In addition to temperature and wheel size, wouldn’t tire width (contact patch area) and vehicle weight also factor into consumption?

Yes... i.e GT models of Mach-E have worse range than the other trims with jokingly "bicycle tires." EV6 GT line may use wider tires for better handling/grip which would reduce range by a certain percentage. Weight is important but with all EVs being close in weight (4000-4500lb) I think we can compare them without weight numbers.

Temps and travel speed are the two biggest factors.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes... i.e GT models of Mach-E have worse range than the other trims with jokingly "bicycle tires." EV6 GT line may use wider tires for better handling/grip which would reduce range by a certain percentage. Weight is important but with all EVs being close in weight (4000-4500lb) I think we can compare them without weight numbers.

Temps and travel speed are the two biggest factors.
More reason why comparing to an model 3, is not apples to apples

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seems like having various slowdowns is not good for comparison either. A constant 72 is going to be a lot better than 72 average with speed up and slow down.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
293 Posts
I drive 190 miles every day in my drive to and from work so I'll have REAL WORLD, cold winter numbers to give on day 1 for us all. LOL I'll test all sorts of things like climate control, battery maintenance, and different speeds to have one dataset for us to review.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I drive 190 miles every day in my drive to and from work so I'll have REAL WORLD, cold winter numbers to give on day 1 for us all. LOL I'll test all sorts of things like climate control, battery maintenance, and different speeds to have one dataset for us to review.
Dude.... 190 miles? I lost my mine doing a round trip of 130 miles. Switched jobs for more money and telework. I will say, was doing those 130 miles in a Bolt here in New England, it did that quite well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry for the "Gre" message, hit the wrong button--ugh! Great that you can do that for real world testing for us. What part of the country are you in? I may be wrong, but even with a heat pump, so far it seems that EVs lose up to 1/3 of their range in the winter where it goes below freezing, maybe somewhat less with Tesla's heat pump? Someone else may know better than I do, however. What should we expect from Kia's heat pump...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts