Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
326 Posts
Sorry for the "Gre" message, hit the wrong button--ugh! Great that you can do that for real world testing for us. What part of the country are you in? I may be wrong, but even with a heat pump, so far it seems that EVs lose up to 1/3 of their range in the winter where it goes below freezing, maybe somewhat less with Tesla's heat pump? Someone else may know better than I do, however. What should we expect from Kia's heat pump...

I live in the Iowa/Illinois area here in the midwest. All of my driving will be at 75+/- so no regen and all burn. Should get some good real world numbers and differences between drive modes and such.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry for the "Gre" message, hit the wrong button--ugh! Great that you can do that for real world testing for us. What part of the country are you in? I may be wrong, but even with a heat pump, so far it seems that EVs lose up to 1/3 of their range in the winter where it goes below freezing, maybe somewhat less with Tesla's heat pump? Someone else may know better than I do, however. What should we expect from Kia's heat pump...
Kia say the heat pump will save up to 19% of the range lost due to cold weather. So, for every 10 miles you would have lost without a heat pump due to lower temperatures, having a heat pump means you theoretically lose 8.1 miles.

This isn’t a massive saving but if you live in a country with very cold winters, you should see enough benefit to notice it.

Here in the U.K. - not so much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kia say the heat pump will save up to 19% of the range lost due to cold weather. So, for every 10 miles you would have lost without a heat pump due to lower temperatures, having a heat pump means you theoretically lose 8.1 miles.

This isn’t a massive saving but if you live in a country with very cold winters, you should see enough benefit to notice it.

Here in the U.K. - not so much.
Thanks for the data!

I'm the furthest thing from an expert on heat pumps, but I did read that they're not effective at extreme temperatures, they need to be able to find enough heat in the air to "capture" out. They're probably more useful in the UK than in, say, those parts of Canada that see -30 every winter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I checked the car and, although I don't have the whole history as in the app, I can see I have between 6 to 7 Km/kWh of average daily consumption.
Now I just have to figure out what's going on with the app. Where is data coming from...

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Model Y wasn’t the most efficient… but my Ford Mach-E is incredibly efficient. I’m getting 5.7 km per kWh (3.6 miles per kWh) even on 80% 70mph (100+ km/h) highway driving. It’s much lighter than the AWD Model Y.

5.5km per kWh is good but what type of driving? Since you are in colder weather, those numbers are actually great. I’m driving in 15-22C weather in Florida.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts