Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the manual it appears there is no low conductivity coolant in the EV6 like the ioniq5 which required a ~$1,000 change every 3 years. The EV6 does not require a change until 10 years or 210,000kms. Anyone else aware of why there is such a difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Closest answer here:

Hyundai had fires. they are super safe now.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
128 Posts
I just realized that EV6 has only one coolant recipient, unlike Ioniq5 that has two. I wonder if there are other major engineering differences between the two cars.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Ordered: Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
81 Posts
I just realized that EV6 has only one coolant recipient, unlike Ioniq5 that has two. I wonder if there are other major engineering differences between the two cars.

View attachment 5515
Funny, I noticed this just last week when looking at photos of the two engine bays and wondered the same. I am a little surprised to see this since the e-GMP platform underpins both cars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Funny, I noticed this just last week when looking at photos of the two engine bays and wondered the same. I am a little surprised to see this since the e-GMP platform underpins both cars.
It must be an interesting dynamic between the two companies and engineering teams. Hyundai and Kia collaborate and share platforms, development costs and parts, but in the same time they compete for market share. I wonder how much freedom they have to make changes outside of the obvious styling and cabin finishes. The coolant design is one of them, I think the suspensions is another one where Ioniq5 and EV6 use different tuning. I wonder if there are other major mechanical differences between the two sibling cars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you mean in Inverter Coolant bottle, it seems the Ioniq 5 has an inverter coolant bottle where i think the EV6 does not.

Is the link for an older manual related to the hybrid? They mention the following: "Never remove the engine coolant cap and/or inverter coolant cap or the drain plug while the engine and radiator are hot." I was referring at the Ioniq5 that is based on the E-GMP architecture like EV6.

If Ioniq5 has two coolant bottles that means there are different piping and possible a second pump to keep them totally separate. Typically the inverter, the batteries and the electric motors do need to be cooled. For some reason Hyundai engineers decided to use a separate coolant for some of these, maybe they use a low conductivity coolant for the battery? While Kia engineers decided to use one bottle/coolant for all. Only time will tell which one was right.

·
Registered
128 Posts
EV6 coolant is blue, it could be low conductivity as well? Or is the other way around? I need to check the manual and the label to be sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts