Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Going to check with the dealer after the bank holiday but want to check what actual owners/future owners think first.

I was having a look around under the bonnet and noticed that the dealer has put a good bit less than the ‘minimum’ coolant in the vehicle when they handed it over (yes I should have checked this before I took ownership).
I’d say it’s sitting a good inch under the minimum level marker.

is this a big deal of EV as it is for ICE vehicles?
It’s not showing as an error on dash so just happened upon it.

And if I’m to top it up myself (which I imagine my dealer will suggest) does it take any basic coolant?

·
Super Moderator
540 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may help, does not say what coolant to use.

This may explain what it does,

Great thanks for the help. Will contact my dealer about it. Just seems strange they put some in but not the required amount.
was wondering if this is an ev specific thing that was done on purpose.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
57 Posts
Great thanks for the help. Will contact my dealer about it. Just seems strange they put some in but not the required amount.
was wondering if this is an ev specific thing that was done on purpose.
It's almost certainly special non conductive coolant, and you MUST use the same type to top up, and most definitely DON'T ADD WATER!

If the filler cap has a hand with a stop sign and a picture of a mechanic with a spanner, you need to get your dealer to attend to it. The fluid level is more likely to drop if you ordered a car with heat pump and they didn't fully run the special bleed process when they built the car.

John.

White Automotive tire Sports equipment Sleeve Automotive design

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's almost certainly special non conductive coolant, and you MUST use the same type to top up, and most definitely DON'T ADD WATER!

If the filler cap has a hand with a stop sign and a picture of a mechanic with a spanner, you need to get your dealer to attend to it. The fluid level is more likely to drop if you ordered a car with heat pump and they didn't fully run the special bleed process when they built the car.

John.

View attachment 1328
Awesome thanks very much. I don’t have a heat pump and the coolant is pink.
But as car is only a month old I think I’ll take to the dealer anyway.
I should be due an upgrade soon anyway to fix preheat if they ever acknowledge it’s a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
found the same issue on my EV6 in Ireland. In with dealer now to get it topped up and yes it is special non conductive coolant that is required

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found the same issue on my EV6 in Ireland. In with dealer now to get it topped up and yes it is special non conductive coolant that is required
Ah ok good to know. When I left mine in they said there is an issue with pipes and they can hear liquid sloshing about where they shouldn’t!!
All from needing a bit of coolant topped up!
I’ve to wait until 19th for replacement part apparently.
Will be worth if I can get the car back in decent shape with heating working etc.

here’s hoping you don’t have the same issue.

just also can I check, was your coolant pink?
I know you mentioned non conductive coolant and I’m wondering how to know what coolant was put in there in the first place. It looked like regular stuff but I can’t tell the difference!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah ok good to know. When I left mine in they said there is an issue with pipes and they can hear liquid sloshing about where they shouldn’t!!
All from needing a bit of coolant topped up!
I’ve to wait until 19th for replacement part apparently.
Will be worth if I can get the car back in decent shape with heating working etc.

here’s hoping you don’t have the same issue.

just also can I check, was your coolant pink?
I know you mentioned non conductive coolant and I’m wondering how to know what coolant was put in there in the first place. It looked like regular stuff but I can’t tell the difference!
No idea to how to tell the difference :) Service guy just mentioned that I did the right thing bringing it back to them as if I had filled up myself with the incorrect coolant it could have caused a lot of issues.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
627 Posts
No idea to how to tell the difference :) Service guy just mentioned that I did the right thing bringing it back to them as if I had filled up myself with the incorrect coolant it could have caused a lot of issues.
Taste it. They will taste different.

True story. Oxidation and corrosion if it's not the right stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts