Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia E-Niro and Kia EV6. In all these cars, I couldn't get Android Auto to work.
I had brought two USB-A to USB-C cable: one by Anker, the other by U-green, which I both use for both data transfer and charging.
On the Ioniq 5 and E-Niro, the car showed "Android auto" with two arrows pointing upwards (on the right half of the screen - nothing on the left half), but nothing else happened. The phone displayed a message "continue setup on your car screen" but I couldn't understand how to set up what - I tried to touch swipe pinch press other buttons but nothing.

On the EV6 the same happened the first 3 times. The 4th time I got a message asking me if I wanted to authorise the car to read my messages, I pressed yes, but then nothing happened.

When I asked the Kia representative he said I need a special cable, but couldn't elaborate on what that meant. I understand that some cables are only for charging and don't transfer data, but I have verified with my PC that both these cables transfer data.

Could you please help me understand if I really need a special cable (which I honestly doubt) and what the setup process is? After the Android auto logo with the two arrows popped up, what should I have done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have tried the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia E-Niro and Kia EV6. In all these cars, I couldn't get Android Auto to work.
I had brought two USB-A to USB-C cable: one by Anker, the other by U-green, which I both use for both data transfer and charging.
On the Ioniq 5 and E-Niro, the car showed "Android auto" with two arrows pointing upwards (on the right half of the screen - nothing on the left half), but nothing else happened. The phone displayed a message "continue setup on your car screen" but I couldn't understand how to set up what - I tried to touch swipe pinch press other buttons but nothing.

On the EV6 the same happened the first 3 times. The 4th time I got a message asking me if I wanted to authorise the car to read my messages, I pressed yes, but then nothing happened.

When I asked the Kia representative he said I need a special cable, but couldn't elaborate on what that meant. I understand that some cables are only for charging and don't transfer data, but I have verified with my PC that both these cables transfer data.

Could you please help me understand if I really need a special cable (which I honestly doubt) and what the setup process is? After the Android auto logo with the two arrows popped up, what should I have done?

Thanks!
I was having the exact same issue. The dealer updated to the Nov21 infotainment software and said they'd tested and it was working fine. It didn't work for my android phone and another I borrowed to test, so I took it back. The technician asked me to show him the problem and sure enough it didn't work with my phone (same issue again as you described). He plugged his phone in and his worked! Plugged mine back in and he asked me to go to the screen showing the android version etc so he could take a photo to report back to Kia. When I went to the version screen the AA burst into life on the head unit, and it's been fine since!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I must say I feel less clumsy and useless now! :)

So what should happen with a compatible phone? You plug it in, you see the Android Auto logo, then what, exactly?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks - I must say I feel less clumsy and useless now! :)

So what should happen with a compatible phone? You plug it in, you see the Android Auto logo, then what, exactly?
To the left of the logo you should see your android apps (that work with AA) (or the map if you configure the AA settings on the phone to display map on connection)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think you need to offer the gods of data comms a sacrifice...
I had already sacrificed my firstborn to the gods of bluetooth - I was hoping I could save at least my second child instead of sacrificing him to the god on wired data communication...

On a more serious note, on cars which connect to Androidauto with bluetooth, how does the car know which phone to connect to, if it is paired to two phones and both enter the car at the same time? E.g. husband and wife. Our current car's bluetooth (not Android auto) becomes very temperamental because of this, so it's probably not a bad thing that there's a cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts