Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
827 Posts
Basically, it's based on the kkWh available in the pack multiplied by the recent efficiency. But the car's estimated range will also adjust slightly due to other factors, like if the HVAC is on and selected drive mode. So yes, driving style and conditions will affect range, both estimated and actual.

· Registered
342 Posts
I am finding now that the cold is here I don't get a charge above 265 miles. I do drive 80 on the highway and I think that's a factor . I refuse to take this care on a long trip fearing the charging I will have to do and I bought the RWD wind for RANGE!!
Nothing to see here. This is totally expected. Having to charge on a long trip is also normal. Your expectations in cold conditions are unrealistic.

· Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
302 Posts
I am finding now that the cold is here I don't get a charge above 265 miles. I do drive 80 on the highway and I think that's a factor . I refuse to take this care on a long trip fearing the charging I will have to do and I bought the RWD wind for RANGE!!
I did a couple shorter trips. 80 miles or so to get a feel for it...then I did a 400 mile one without issue.

I used ABRP to plot my stops/charging and it worked surprisingly well...and accurate.

· Registered
90 Posts
Nothing to see here. This is totally expected. Having to charge on a long trip is also normal. Your expectations in cold conditions are unrealistic.
I am aware the car needs to be charged on a long trip, why I wont use it on one to wait 30 plus mins for a "DC fast charge" I will never only own an electric vehicle . RAM or explorer for road trips

· Registered
342 Posts
I am aware the car needs to be charged on a long trip, why I wont use it on one to wait 30 plus mins for a "DC fast charge" I will never only own an electric vehicle . RAM or explorer for road trips
I'd have more faith in taking my EV6 on a road trip than a RAM or Exploder. Terrible reliability with those vehicles. Taking 20-30 minutes to charge the EV6 on a road trip is wonderful! Gives me a chance to chill, get a bite to eat, catch up on emails, Txt, etc. On the interstate, setting the cruise along with LFA and HDA is an amazing experience! Very relaxing!

· Registered
605 Posts
There are ZERO EVs that are going to get their rated range in the wintertime and 80 mph cruising.

Many EVs give up more range in the cold than the EV6 does.

So if the car was returning 300 Miles range you'd be comfortable taking it on a trip but at 265 you're not?

· Registered
Yacht Blue GT Line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Basically, it's based on the kkWh available in the pack multiplied by the recent efficiency. But the car's estimated range will also adjust slightly due to other factors, like if the HVAC is on and selected drive mode. So yes, driving style and conditions will affect range, both estimated and actual.

So if users changes on the car the average miles go back to a normal level, or will it reset to default of some kind?

· Registered
827 Posts
So if users changes on the car the average miles go back to a normal level, or will it reset to default of some kind?
You're talking about users as in separate driver profiles? I don't know, I'm the only driver in mine. Change profiles and see if the range changes. I would EXPECT that the efficiency average that determines calculated range would be lower level data that is not segregated by profile, but I don't know. But if you're just talking about switching drivers, regardless of profile, and one of those drivers drives slower than the other, I would expect the range to slowly adjust to the new average efficiency. But even without changing drivers, if you just got back from a long trip, that is probably (temporarily) pulling your calculated range down, because the (presumably) higher speeds during a road trip are going to negatively affect your efficiency, and therefore calculated range. As you start getting back to more mixed/city driving, average efficiency should improve, as should calculated range.

· Registered
131 Posts
The estimated range will return to 340 miles when your driving conditions (speed, outdoor climate, etc) returns to what they were when the car originally estimated 340 miles.

I would pay more attention to the current Mi/kWh while driving for a better realtime indication of what to expect from range.

If you're driving 80mph on the freeway in 30°F outdoor temperatures and getting 2.6mi/kWh, your total range is going to be way lower than advertised.

But if you're driving 40mph in the city in 70°F outdoor temperatures and getting 4.6mi/kWh, your total range is going to be way higher than advertised.

· Registered
2023 EV6 GT Yacht Blue
425 Posts
I did a couple shorter trips. 80 miles or so to get a feel for it...then I did a 400 mile one without issue.

I used ABRP to plot my stops/charging and it worked surprisingly well...and accurate.
During Sept with warmer weather I found abrp was on conservative side. After 120mi I was 10% to the positive side of it's estimates.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

· Registered
2023 EV6 GT Yacht Blue
425 Posts
Oh, I will stay within the "315" mile range but I will not go beyond. I have yet to charge this car anywhere other than home
Then you are intentionally missing out and not using one of the biggest features that sets the EV6 above most other EVs. It dcfc speed which is among highest of any vehicles available. These cars IMHO are phenomenal highway cruisers in ride and features, you are missing out not enjoying running 70mph smooth as silk as HDA2 does the hard work.

As others have mentioned, use abrp, plan a trip and go have fun. Maybe do a medium trip out and back to a dcfc 75-100mi away as a 1st run. Try the dcfc and see what it is like while not on a schedule to be someplace at a certain time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 KIA EV6 AWD WIND
14 Posts
The cold does have a factor on my AWD EV6 Wind Edition RANGE, regardless of what others say on here. I live in Colorado and the difference in range from 205(@80%)-300 miles during the summer to 180(@80%)-220 miles in the winter is significant. This is a huge difference especially if you place certain functions active like the EVbattery to Winter Mode. However, I feel that KIA engineers can put in place another Infotainment Update that can help perhaps improve power loss during charging sessions. It is imperative that KIA engineers get off their asses and actually help improve KIA to profitability vs. just waiting for third-party components to be improved in the long run that they do not have control over, this is key if they wish to compete with Elon Musk. I have learned that having a lead foot and improving range effectively, reducing speeds is key. Although, it has been a problem at first for me to NOT SHOW OFF how fast my EV can go when I’ve been challenged by Hellcats, Porsches, and Lamborghinis on the road. It’s not how fast you drive, it is how smart you drive w/o reducing miles per KWH.

Also, please keep in mind that it is not just the cold that you have to consider when researching your EV6. There are also many factors that must be considering when modifications and upgrades are made to the exterior/interior of EV, relative to weight distribution, wheel/rim changes and how significant is the change relative to your EVs current driving range efficiencies over time, especially in different weather climates, etc. For example, I have noticed that my driving range improved somewhat when I changed from 19” rims to a 20” custom alloy rims such as Vertini 20” RFS 1.9 alloy rims vs, 20” Staggered Ferrada FR2 rims. I noticed a significant difference in range from factory to staggered open face rims vs. the flow formed 20” Vertini rims which actually helped improved range and miles per kWH, especially when I changed out the stock Continental 19” All-Terrain tires to the Michelin 20” CrossClimate2 tires, which perform extremely well in extreme weather. I noticed that the rear of the EV6 Wind Edition with 19” factory rims does tend to fish tail a lot going above 50 MPH when driving on highway with less than a quarter inch of still water, thus reducing miles per kWH, despite having the traction control on and using HDA. However, my EV6 showed significant performance in rain and snow having the traction control on and the snow mode off, yet utilizing the ReGEN breaking which gives a lot more control in snowy conditions. I’m surprised that the ReGEN breaking system will not work putting the EV6 in snow mode. I find the ReGEN breaking to be much more reliable in extreme weather conditions considering it applies breaking on all 4 wheels while in the snow using the CrossClimate2 tires. I noticed a smooth controlled driving reliability in extreme snow conditions, but all must consider using the heated seats in cold weather vs using the heater in the climate control, since it takes at least 15minutes before I feel the heater in the front cabin area.

Unlike what others have said on here about the cold not being a factor, it clearly is an issue since EV/metal Polymer Batteries degrade in lower temps at 32F degrees and lower. In addition, what others must understand is there is also an issue in loosing transfer of power when using FastChargers, although this may seem undifferentiated/unlikely at first, it becomes more obvious considering the car must utilize the batteries cooling system in order to maintain optimum battery efficiency while charging at night in 45F degree weather. However, if Supercharging station Manufacturers were to reduce the amount of electricity ⚡ loss during transfer of power by perhaps adding solar panel covered parking along with under-carriage car charging pad capability that connect to the EVs battery (similar to how Apple‘s magnetic charging pad system), this can greatly reduce time in the handshake between EV and Supercharging Station, thus increasing charging significantly while reducing losses in transfer of power. The EV6 uses a Nickel-Cobalt-Manganese,Polymer based battery system and works very well in 60-70F degree climates. However, not everyone is factoring the loss in transfer of power when using standard FastCharger cables that are extremely heavy and provide a cooling system within the cable itself that must be run while charging from 50kW-245kW considering nobody ever gets the full 350kWH charging capability due to cooling system and handshake procedures.

Over the past 9 months in driving 20,000+ miles in my EV6, it is clear the the range provided is calculated based on driving efficiency miles per kWH, which electrical system functions are used while driving such as the HVAC/Heater, seat/steering wheel heaters, aftermarket-car audio/media usage, HDA and ReGEN breaking systems. Many of these “luxury” components do not have to become a key factor in your driving range if utilized sparingly during the winter. It is clear, in my perspective, there must be an inclusion of Highly Efficient Solar Panel capabilities (like 50-80% Efficient) that must be introduced into the EV market in order to compete with petro-based/Hybrid Powered vehicle range capacity in addition to increasing 5G WiFi capabilities in all Hybrid/EVs. Until the EV makers start working with solar panel makers to increase efficient multi-layered Polycrystalline Solar Panels with built-in 5G WiFi/radio antennas along with efficient electrical storage for Supercharging stations while also finding ways to reduce the loss in transfer of power to EVs during handshake/charging and convenience of charging on a national and global scale, there are some spoiled luxuries that we may have grown accustomed to that we all can take one for the greater good.

Until then, I do suggest those who live in Cold Climates to use your due diligence in utilizing MAX ReGEN breaking system as much as possible and get use to reviewing/researching how this adds miles to your range during trips so that you get the most out of your range capacity. Please keep in mind that ReGEN breaking has multiple levels and it is key to change the levels of this breaking system based on elevation, whether it be based on inclination/declination. I personally used level 3-4 MAX levels when I have noticed that I am going downhill during long trips along the I25/I70 Hwy corridor and has improved my miles per kWH significantly, although it is small compared to what other EV drivers have told me while charging. However, I have heard great things about the Rivian ReGEN breaking system and hope that spreads to other makers and models considering it’s excellent efficiency, since hearing from Rivian owner’s they have seen 50-100 miles extended on their usage on Hi-Grade Mountain Highways, but I digress since I have not tested this on their trucks personally. All-in-All for Real World Driving Ranges to exceed global expectations in the future, it is important that all current EV users monitor their usage more in-depth and help/support SuperCharging technologies with your experiences and finding by reporting/reviewing all third-party charging experiences by utilizing the PlugSHARE App to plan and review every charging station visited, because if Americans expect the EV Infrastructure to improve, then it is a moral imperative to embrace change by providing your feedback, especially if you are extremely familiar with the technologit’s and components involved to make this work. It seems relevant, yet redundant that I hear every excuse in the world by the WWII Babyboomer generation to NOT make the change to EVs. However, some of these older generations give the major complaint that it is too expensive and a major factor into changing the routines in their daily lives and worse yet, many simply give the excuse that their too damn old to give a damn about the younger generations. I just don’t see why other’s think in this way when the world is changing and anyone who falls behind in these changes is simply going to be left behind financially. Personally, I am glad that I traded in my 2021 KIA K5 for the EV6 because it has given so much more freedom in being able to travel without having to worry about gas prices.

This opportunity has also clearly gave me a window on how far behind USA is in having a reliable-Nationwide SuperCharging Infrastructure and what key components are going to need ideal engineering upgrades to trek our way to Zero Day Emissions Revolution. For an ‘Evolution Revolution’ to be reached, it is a moral imperative to look forward to the future in a S.O.A.P. (Shared-Open Access Power) Grid Infrastructure that is self-sustainable and completely autonomous and most-importantly, Cybersecurity safe from outside/domestic attacks. If we don’t learn to educate ourselves on a massive scale and change our attitudes towards global warming like other countries have done, then we would be just another Empire doomed to repeat history and not learn from past mistakes.

Attachments

· Registered
1,083 Posts

I posted a similar long trip experience in this forum--a long read, for sure, but my EV6 and I made it there and back in one piece. Yes the overall time spent going from point A to point B was longer than if I had done it in an ICE vehicle but if that's the worse thing for me to have experienced during my road trip, then I can live with that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts