Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m pretty sure when I used to turn on my cruise control and I had my navigation set to somewhere, the self-driving would automatically kick in at the same time as the cruise control and I would get an icon that said NAV. It no longer does this. What am I doing wrong?

This is the AWD with tech package.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
  • You have to be on a limited access road (i.e. highway as listed in the nav system)
  • You need to be at the speed limit

The steering and lane keeping assist and lane centering is actually the green steering wheel.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
  • You have to be on a limited access road (i.e. highway as listed in the nav system)
  • You need to be at the speed limit

The steering and lane keeping assist and lane centering is actually the green steering wheel.
Right, but the green steering wheel would automatically kick in the moment I would turn on cruise control if I had my navigation on previously. That randomly stopped working.

· Registered
381 Posts
If I activate cruise control, the steering wheel comes on when I am on a highway. If I'm not on a highway, the steering part is inactive (but I can still toggle it with the button). I think this is intended functionality by KIA... on a not well-marked, windy 2-lane road, steering assist might not be the best option.
Mine comes on, no matter the road, but you are quite right, only on roads adequately marked/lined will I have confidence of some steering assist. In the UK, other than motorways, no roads are consistently marked the same, continuously, every council, village, town seems to have their own concept of how rods should be marked, you simply can't rely on steering assist under these circumstances. I recommend, even on motorways, always keeping your hands on the steering wheel 👍

· Registered
936 Posts
On limited access roads (as defined within the Kia nav) it is possible for LFA to function even without cruise control on/active, although IIRC LFA when enabled functions only at speeds greater than I think 40 mph? TBH I'm not 100% certain about the minimum speed required for LFA to function but I do know it will work even if CC is not on/active--again, only on limited access roads.

· Registered
EV6 GT Line-S AWD in matte grey
91 Posts
Mine comes on, no matter the road, but you are quite right, only on roads adequately marked/lined will I have confidence of some steering assist. In the UK, other than motorways, no roads are consistently marked the same, continuously, every council, village, town seems to have their own concept of how rods should be marked, you simply can't rely on steering assist under these circumstances. I recommend, even on motorways, always keeping your hands on the steering wheel 👍
Are we talking about HDA2 (I think that is what it is called) or just steering assist? (There are so many acronyms etc in this car).

I have only ever seen HDA2 work (SCC with navigation) on motorways in the UK. I regularly drive on the A19 (north east England) and HDA2 has never activated.

· Registered
381 Posts
I try not to use any acronyms, there is Steering assist and Lane assist, and that's all 😂 Lane assist comes on everytime I start the car, and whilst driving from my home I have my finger on the lane assist to turn it off, as I only ever really want this on when I'm travelling on motorways. Steer assist comes on when I use cruise control, even if I'm doing the minimum 20, but again I turn this off because I only want it on when I'm driving on motorways.

· Registered
936 Posts
I try not to use any acronyms, there is Steering assist and Lane assist, and that's all 😂 Lane assist comes on everytime I start the car, and whilst driving from my home I have my finger on the lane assist to turn it off, as I only ever really want this on when I'm travelling on motorways. Steer assist comes on when I use cruise control, even if I'm doing the minimum 20, but again I turn this off because I only want it on when I'm driving on motorways.
But acronyms are so much easier to follow--LOL! And before any newbies ask as to which acronym applies to which function--Steering assist = LFA, Lane assist = LKA.

· Registered
69 Posts
Right, but the green steering wheel would automatically kick in the moment I would turn on cruise control if I had my navigation on previously. That randomly stopped working.
Is it that it can't read the lines? Mine does that on large sections of UK road, including quite a lot of highway that's poorly lit with fading lines. It happens, obviously more in bad weather and I find making sure the camera views are wiped as clean as possible before setting out helps a little but many UK roads have no white line on the kerb side so it just gives up.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly this was just a misunderstanding on my part of how this feature works. I went on a trip for Thanksgiving to my brother’s house and when I was on a main road, the feature worked as it used to. Apologies for the confusion haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts