Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Nav recognize speed signs?
Does the EV6 adjust up and down speed based on speed signs as they change?
If the above are true does it in both cruise and nav?
What happens when you hold down the cruise button on the left side of the steering wheel?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
Does the Nav recognize speed signs?
Yes.
Does the EV6 adjust up and down speed based on speed signs as they change?
Yes, if you turn this feature on. It's off by default. Settings → Vehicle → Driver assistance → Driving Convenience → Highway Auto Speed Change
If the above are true does it in both cruise and nav?
This is a cruise control feature. Navigation by itself doesn't control the car. I'm not sure what you mean.
What happens when you hold down the cruise button on the left side of the steering wheel?
I'm not sure what you mean.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
222 Posts
Holding down the cruise button sets a “speed limiter”. See this thread.

The highway auto speed change works well most of the time. But it can get confused if there’s a separate truck speed sign as in California. I rarely drive over the speed limit or over 70 MPH to conserve energy, so this works for me. However, in places where the limit is 75+, I’ll disable it if needed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not to be nasty....but all of this can be answered by reading the manual.....yes it can be a "pain" getting through it all, but it is there. Since I won't be getting my EV 6 for another 6 months or so, I downloaded the manual and am learning a lot!!

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
222 Posts
Not to be nasty....but all of this can be answered by reading the manual.....yes it can be a "pain" getting through it all, but it is there. Since I won't be getting my EV 6 for another 6 months or so, I downloaded the manual and am learning a lot!!
Agreed. And if the search community feature was used. That would cut down on a bunch of duplicates. However, there is some unique knowledge to be gained by someone else’s experience and discoveries.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Agreed. And if the search community feature was used. That would cut down on a bunch of duplicates. However, there is some unique knowledge to be gained by someone else’s experience and discoveries.
And if we all just googled everything we wouldn’t have anything to talk about……. Fun.. or.. :unsure:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Holding down the cruise button sets a “speed limiter”. See this thread.

The highway auto speed change works well most of the time. But it can get confused if there’s a separate truck speed sign as in California. I rarely drive over the speed limit or over 70 MPH to conserve energy, so this works for me. However, in places where the limit is 75+, I’ll disable it if needed.
I set my speed limit offset to +10 mph, in part to compensate for scenarios like what you described or where temporary reduced speed limit signs are in place due to road construction, but for the most part I did it because TBH 90% of the time I will exceed the posted speed limit, even if by only a few mph--this way I have control over whether I want to drive the posted speed limit rather than have the highway auto speed change "forcefully" try to ensure that I don't exceed said posted speed limit while at the same time making sure I don't go 10 mph over the limit--and yes, 98% of the time I don't go more than 10 over; even if/when I have a desire to go 10 over, the system will allow the setting to be temporarily overriden by applying a more heavy throttle to the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I set my speed limit offset to +10 mph, in part to compensate for scenarios like what you described or where temporary reduced speed limit signs are in place due to road construction, but for the most part I did it because TBH 90% of the time I will exceed the posted speed limit, even if by only a few mph--this way I have control over whether I want to drive the posted speed limit rather than have the highway auto speed change "forcefully" try to ensure that I don't exceed said posted speed limit while at the same time making sure I don't go 10 mph over the limit--and yes, 98% of the time I don't go more than 10 over; even if/when I have a desire to go 10 over, the system will allow the setting to be temporarily overriden by applying a more heavy throttle to the accelerator pedal.
I don't think the car "reads" the speed signs. In my experience with the Chevy Bolt. I think it probably gets the info from GPS. I have found that in rural areas of Nevada or Utah the speed limit displayed on the car is different from the signs on the road. Also in work zones the car goes by the original posted limit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The car does read speed signs. It's not always good at it, but when there is road work with reduced speed it will mostly handle it.

It does, understandably, have issues when the speed in the nav system differs from the signs. The result may seem random.

But usually not when there is road work. It may be because the speed difference is over a threshold and it decides to be on the safe side.

(The national road agencies should provide an updated map with every single speed sign except temporary ones to the satnav providers. I hope the EU will make this happen soon.)

And the car software and satnav developers should make the car understand which road you drive on. Crossing bridges with lower speed limits should not result in reduced speed, even hard braking. That's a WAG-issue. It's not that bad with the ev6 but it can happen.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't think the car "reads" the speed signs. In my experience with the Chevy Bolt. I think it probably gets the info from GPS. I have found that in rural areas of Nevada or Utah the speed limit displayed on the car is different from the signs on the road. Also in work zones the car goes by the original posted limit.
It does indeed "read" (or, tries to recognize/read) speed limit signs--at least it does for U.S.-spec EV6s--using the front camera that's mounted to the windshield. I know it does because I was wondering why my display kept showing Speed Limit 55 even though I was driving on a stretch of highway that is normally posted 65--it was because it was picking up the (temporary) speed limit 55 signs that were put up due to that stretch of highway being a road construction zone; once I drove past the construction zone and the camera was eventually able to detect a Speed Limit 65 sign did the nav display once agan show Speed Limit 65.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts