Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ordered May 5th GT-Line AWD - and no vin, no update, nothing.

Kia's system of orders vs builds, it's more like they build whatever they feel like or want and then allocate to various dealers. As I've been told and pieced together over the last 5 months, a dealer can submit an order for you but what they actually get is whatever kia says they get. There's no queue system or anything like that it seems.
I predict there will be lots of canceled orders over the next few months, when the loss of $7500 tax credit sinks in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I predict there will be lots of canceled orders over the next few months, when the loss of $7500 tax credit sinks in.
Perhaps - honestly I know going into it I won't get the 7500, that's not a deal breaker for me as it sits. It's only a deal breaker if I had to deal with the (still happening) 5 figure mark ups.

For me what would get a cancellation is if I have no word by Nov/Dec. The dealer was honest at the time of order and said "Could be 6 weeks, could be 6 months" after that, I'll just order a Bolt EUV or Model 3.

Funny enough - there was an exactly spec'd model in the color I wanted delivered to a dealership where I have my 2nd backup order, told them I want it if the buyer backed out... sadly they didn't (they apparently took delivery yesterday)

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD with Tech Package (Runway Red)
70 Posts
I believe so. I initially had a refundable $1000 deposit, but the dealership was able to convert my order to a signed binding contract the day before the new law was signed, so I think I’m in the clear
A binding contract without the VIN? Hmm. Not sure that holds water but most likely the IRS won’t audit you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I have a VIN now, so it would likely require an audit to prove I didn’t have one when I signed the contract, and even then I’m not sure what the state law says in regards to requiring a VIN for a contract.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For me what would get a cancellation is if I have no word by Nov/Dec. The dealer was honest at the time of order and said "Could be 6 weeks, could be 6 months" after that, I'll just order a Bolt EUV or Model 3.
Have you driven a Polestar 2?
I would anticipate these would also have some price correction (downward) soon.

If range isn't a huge concern, the original Hyundai Ioniq EV is a step up from the Spark.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD with Tech Package (Runway Red)
70 Posts
Well, I have a VIN now, so it would likely require an audit to prove I didn’t have one when I signed the contract, and even then I’m not sure what the state law says in regards to requiring a VIN for a contract.
Yeah, would be curious to see how this plays out. Too risky of a strategy for me - I wanted the $7500 and I do not want to be audited.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you driven a Polestar 2?
I would anticipate these would also have some price correction (downward) soon.

If range isn't a huge concern, the original Hyundai Ioniq EV is a step up from the Spark.
heh a cat turd with 4 wheels is a step up from the spark -- the sad version I have isnt' even an EV, it's the 4 cylinder 84HP gas powered clown car with a CVT made with old chinese newspapers and bubblegum.

Ironically - the day I bought it, I couldn't take delivery because dealership hadn't done inspection/reconditioning. Apparently in the few days they had it the transmission blew (known weakness in these cars) and it spent about a month at a chevrolet dealership getting fixed for free. (Chevrolet covered it since these CVT's were so bad and known to be crap) so it had 115k on the clock and a new/refurb transmission installed by a chevy dealership.

Long as it lasts till the EV6/Bolt/Model3/whatever comes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A VIN is not required for a binding contract. Whether or not the other details of the particular document will hold up under audit scrutiny is another matter.
That was my understanding at the time, too, as not having a VIN opens the dealer up to more risk than they usually want tot take with a contract. In this case, I think they knew they were going to lose a lot of sales on deposits if they didn’t, which is why they were open to it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A VIN is not required for a binding contract. Whether or not the other details of the particular document will hold up under audit scrutiny is another matter.
This.

I've seen post about IRS auditing past valid EV tax credit submissions - because some EVs were bought during the phase out period and even the IRS apparently didn't even know their own rules (lol). The onus is the taxpayer to prove it.

The only binding contract I think that will withstand an audit is the Fisker one. It's a non-refundable $5K deposit with a clause that allows Fisker to demand payment of shipping charges if the buyer cancels. There are a few states that allow cooling off or cancellations so I'm not sure if those are considered "binding"

I'm sure there will be cases of a $2K+ nonrefundable deposit on an incoming EV within a VIN (a friend did that - he had to be sure he wanted it) that will survive audit too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I put a deposit down on my Wind RWD, I went home and checked the VIN on XISVE right after. It showed as pre transit for about a week and a half. When the dealer called and said the Wind was in stock it still showed as pre transit on XISVE. After I drove it home it then showed as In stock at the dealer. It showed in stock for at least 3-4 days after that. So take that for what its worth that XISVE may not be entirely accurate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to add another data point.

Ordered car on 5/28. Dealer emailed me on 8/13, with Maroney sticker/VIN, that Kia had assigned/allocated/threw a dart at my order. ETA at the dealership of 9/20.

Checked XISVE that day and found the VIN as pre-transit with a port.

(Sidenote: This feels like the rumor/suggestion that Kia assigns vehicles to orders when they arrive at a US port and not before is correct. Though I've seen posts that say they've been able to track their car while it's on the ship. Maybe it's different for east coast vehicles).

Dealer calls me around noon today (9/21) saying that the car is being loaded on a truck today. XISVE still says pre-transit. Dealer calls again at around 5pm saying the car has arrived at the dealership. XISVE still says pre-transit.

Also, this website says that EV6 global wholesale shipments were cut in half from ~9k in July to ~4k last month. Looks like what little inventory there is at the moment is gonna take another hit.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind RWD reservation
209 Posts
I'm really hoping I can get my EV6 before the end of the year (or ideally before Thanksgiving to take it on an early road trip).
I placed my order on 8/11 for a Wind RWD in Yacht Blue at MSRP from dealer NM020 (Santa Fe Kia). I've heard nothing since.

Judging from past posts on this thread, I should hopefully receive word from the dealer 2-3 months after I placed the order (so around October). Then I might get the car in another month (November or December).
Although the only disappointing thing is that RWD models seem to be far less common than AWD as Kia keeps pushing AWD models to dealers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm really hoping I can get my EV6 before the end of the year (or ideally before Thanksgiving to take it on an early road trip).
I placed my order on 8/11 for a Wind RWD in Yacht Blue at MSRP from dealer NM020 (Santa Fe Kia). I've heard nothing since.

Judging from past posts on this thread, I should hopefully receive word from the dealer 2-3 months after I placed the order (so around October). Then I might get the car in another month (November or December).
Although the only disappointing thing is that RWD models seem to be far less common than AWD as Kia keeps pushing AWD models to dealers.
Same here! It's like all I see online is Wind AWDs, even though GT-Line RWDs are technically more than that, I would assume Kia would like to make more money on that but nope.

·
Registered
22 EV6 Gravity Blue AWD
8 Posts
I ordered near the end of June and I'm picking it up Saturday. Not too bad but it is also a Wind AWD. I ordered a Toyota Tundra in Feb and still no idea when it'll be in so there's that.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
162 Posts
I've seen post about IRS auditing past valid EV tax credit submissions - because some EVs were bought during the phase out period and even the IRS apparently didn't even know their own rules (lol). The onus is the taxpayer to prove it.
There can't be any IRS audits of credits claimed during the phase-out because that took place this year and IRS won't accept 2022 returns until January.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any others in for a Light RWD? Not sure what I should be expecting as far as delays..
If you’re specifically looking for that trim maybe you can find it in dealers stock. That’s how I bought mine locally. If you want to find all the Light trim cars in the US I’d use the search tool from Your Auto Advocate. And I’m not verifying all cars found there are truly available but the search seems to work when you sort by cheapest since that’s all the light trims.

No login or signing up required to do the search as far as I know. Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
384 Posts
There can't be any IRS audits of credits claimed during the phase-out because that took place this year and IRS won't accept 2022 returns until January.
I think you misunderstood my post. These audits were for 2019 Bolts I believe - bought a few years ago when the Bolt had its phase-out. Supposedly the IRA went after a taxpayer (Bolt owner) and didn’t even know their own phase out rules so the onus was on the taxpayer to prove eligibility. I was not talking about 2021 or 2022.

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
212 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post. These audits were for 2019 Bolts I believe - bought a few years ago when the Bolt had its phase-out. Supposedly the IRA went after a taxpayer (Bolt owner) and didn’t even know their own phase out rules so the onus was on the taxpayer to prove eligibility. I was not talking about 2021 or 2022.
...and...who cares when the phase in, phase out, etc is...

at some point you may need to justify what you're claiming. So I agree with you; make sure you have your paperwork and it's accurate.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts