Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had issue with charging their EV6 GT Line RWD?

Mine won't charge AC - only able to change DC.

Kia admits, after only 4 hours following delivery, that the car requires a new charging management system.

They except this and have agreed to replace under warranty, however the part would be on back order with 40 days.

Looking for advice as I've asked for some form of compensation for having to charge DC only. I'm already paying for parking which includes AC charging.

Do you think it reasonable for Kia to cover the cost for DC charging, until such time that the issue is resolved?

The alternative is that I reject the car and Kia are left with repairs of a second hand car to sell, possibly losing a few grand. While I wait for delivery of another new car.

Thoughts please

·
Registered
246 Posts
Has anyone else had issue with charging their EV6 GT Line RWD?

Mine won't charge AC - only able to change DC.

Kia admits, after only 4 hours following delivery, that the car requires a new charging management system.

They except this and have agreed to replace under warranty, however the part would be on back order with 40 days.

Looking for advice as I've asked for some form of compensation for having to charge DC only. I'm already paying for parking which includes AC charging.

Do you think it reasonable for Kia to cover the cost for DC charging, until such time that the issue is resolved?

The alternative is that I reject the car and Kia are left with repairs of a second hand car to sell, possibly losing a few grand. While I wait for delivery of another new car.

Thoughts please
I do not think you would be unreasonable to ask for that accommodation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you were in the US, I’d say to ask for another 1000kwh free through Electrify America.
However, you are NOT in America, so that comment wasn't particularly useful to you, To be perfectly honest with you @tinyburton I think Kia would be delighted if you rejected your car as with deliveries in reverse gear and speeding up in UK, they could sell it and 100 more like it in a minute or less. So don't worry about Kia. For the reason I have just quoted, I think you are highly unlikely to get any compensation for having to use DC charging only. They are conforming to their legal obligations and repairing you vehicle FoC, I think the only thing you could ask for is a free loan vehicle whilst awaiting yhe repair of yours. But this would probably be a vehicle of their choosing and not yours. You could end up with an ICE Picanto, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul Philpott, President & CEO, Kia UK Limited is aware of this request.

On 23 March Phil said "I was disappointed to hear about Mr Burton’s experience with his Kia EV6.

At Kia we're dedicated to providing the very best products and customer service. Therefore, it’s important we investigate the comments and concerns you’ve raised and provide an appropriate response. I’ve passed your email to a senior member of our customer service team and they’ve raised a case for you.

It can take some time to investigate concerns of this nature, so please allow up to 3 working days for our response.

Thank you once again for bringing this to my attention and please be assured that I’ll be updated on the outcome of your case".

Phil, 3 days have well passed!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Phil, 3 days have well passed!
@tinyburton if you think Paul Philpott reads this Forum, you are going to be sadly disappointed to hear not only does he not read it, neither do Kia UK Customer Services. They used to, buy now have gone away. If you want to publicly contact Kia Customer Sevices, try the Kia Owners UK website. They have their ow channel there, but are glacially slow to respond!

Reactions: Durham EV6

·
Registered
373 Posts
To be clear, when you say "trips power supply," what do you mean? What, in detail, actually happens? What EVSE do you have it plugged into, and what outlet? Does this happen at public AC charge points?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be clear, when you say "trips power supply," what do you mean? What, in detail, actually happens? What EVSE do you have it plugged into, and what outlet? Does this happen at public AC charge points?
It trips public AC charging. It tripped the entire CYC (Charge Your Car) system in Granger Town, Newcastle upon Tyne, Council car park. It also tripped both the private charges at my local DEC (District Energy Center).

Once the cables are connected and charging starts, they trip.

Kia Newcastle investigated and determine the cars charging managing system needs replacing.

Audio equipment Gas Major appliance Parking Fixture

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just curious, have you tried changing the AC charge current? Perhaps the vehicle is trying to pull more than what the charger can provide, thus tripping it out?

View attachment 4422
We did yes, but still tripped. I was hoping it was simply a faulty charging cable. However Kia confirmed it was the cars charging managing system.

40 day backorder 😭

·
Registered
11 Posts
Twitter works pretty well, my ev6 was dead in the water before Xmas (due to faulty windscreen before even delivering to dealer) and no one seemed to want to do anything about it, got on to Twitter and got allocated a new one pretty quickly

·
Registered
373 Posts
Part has arrived 😀 car goes in Tuesday next. 5 hours scheduled to replace the charging management system.
I'm in a similar boat, thank god - haven't had any shipping estimate for a week now, but consumer affairs called this morning to check in and when I asked, dug into it to find the replacement part will be at the dealership Monday. Two weeks is still pretty crap to have a brand-new car disabled, but at least it beats two months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts