Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it’s important to focus on what the reviewer is saying when watching this. The video doesn’t capture the true effect.

The best lights I had were adaptive matrix lights on a Mercedes E Class Coupe - sensational.

My last car, an iPace, didn’t have adaptive lights at all so I’m finding the EV6 adaptive lights to be better.

·
Super Moderator
518 Posts
I think it’s important to focus on what the reviewer is saying when watching this. The video doesn’t capture the true effect.

The best lights I had were adaptive matrix lights on a Mercedes E Class Coupe - sensational.

My last car, an iPace, didn’t have adaptive lights at all so I’m finding the EV6 adaptive lights to be better.
My Tiguan has adaptive lights and work a lot better then they do in the EV6 video, hope its just a poor video otherwise I am going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had a GT Line S on weekend loan a couple of weeks back - testing the headlights was one of my key aims. I was disappointed! In a 20 mile section I was flashed 4 times as the beams didn't dip - in nearly 4 years in my xc90 with the adaptive matrix LEDs I've been flashed once. My take was that the beam of detection is too narrow and nowhere near far reaching enough and the lights were too slow to react. My description to the dealer was that they were 'dim-witted'. Of course I've been spoilt with the lights on my Volvo, other than the high beam perhaps not throwing itself far enough they've been superb.

If on the other hand I'd been comparing the EV6 lights to the candles in jam jars fitted to the front of my hateful Disco Sport I'd be delighted!

·
Registered
96 Posts
They’re aren’t too bad but they’re not brilliant either. They’re better than my Lexus RX Takumi with 48 LED modules to make up the adaptive headlights but not as good as my Mazda CX-30s adaptive lights. I think the EV6 only has 8 modules per side. You can see in my video when the lights change shape they’re a bit blocky rather than a smooth (and quick) shape change.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I only just seen this post weirdly, I did test drive my EV6 the first time around 4:30- 5pm UK time in the UK when it was getting very dark indeed. I also test drove in the day time though after this. I have to say, the lights are not bad at all, not amazing amazon like in a Merc with £5,0000,00000 lights of course made from diamonds mined from the suns surface, I think there could be improvements, nothing suddenly was bad about them though. Nothing lead me to thing, yes, Kia have put eBay £1 LEDs in this car...

I don't have anything special in my Audi A4 Avant, Black Edition, just regular Xenon I think, they are bright though but very low as well, no cool tech in this Audi lights for me but the EV6 is up there in the light department for sure, it wasn't an issue driving at night, I also didn't notice anything being better going back to drive the Audi in the evening apart from slight light range, now, some may have really good light on their ICE cars and see a huge difference indeed, granted there are some really cool things out there with headlights. The EV6 was clear, bright, side of the road lit up ok, maybe light range wasn't as good as Audi, but not far off. I accept this though, I am buying a different brand of car this time, Kia not Audi or BMW, Lexus etc etc, we have to accept these small changes, easy to moan about it, "the lights are not the same as my Volvo or VW" of course not, granted these cars are expensive, and some may again want better value money, it is what it is.

While we are chatting about LEDs and light....I am sure you could upgrade the LEDs on the EV6 like my brother done is his 2017 Sportage and I done in 2015 with an Audi A1 years ago. just get better HID D3S bulbs, sorted. Here is an example. D3S OSRAM Night Breaker Laser Xenarc +200% Bulbs - Next Generation (Pair), stronger range and beam on the road, brighter.. Could it be the case Kia isn't using as good light bulbs are say Audi, VW etc etc?. new bulbs won't give the cool tech some cars has, but it can improve the light etc, worth consideration.

At this stage, since I don't have my car, unsure if the EV6 takes DS3 bulbs like the Audis and other Kias and every other car out there, I am sure it will though. Don't go playing around until someone has tested though :) I am not responsible for damaged EV6s headlight units lol :).

Changing bulbs is not for everyone and I agree, should have to be done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They aren't bulbs its multiple individual LEDs, that are run from a controller that decides which segments to light, using info pickup from the front facing camera.

you just can't slap in a fee bulbs as replacements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking I might install a led bar somewhere on the front if I'm unhappy with the headlights. Somewhere where it doesn't interfere with cameras, radar etc and preferably where it is hidden away a bit too. You would probably loose the adaptive aspect though. I ordered the plus version, so I'll have no adaptive lights anyway.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looking under the hood of an EV6 with front trunk removed shows a few things, each side has LED hardness installed, same fitting as sat an Audi, maybe shaped a little different, however, these wires connect to a tube, if the cap of this tune removable? is there a tube beside it with a cap on it. Any current owners willing to take a closer look for us to find out if the EV6 is in fact using cheaper projector LED/ multi-reflectors type headlights inside those huge LED clusters?. Also there is no auto levelling with EV6 light leading me to think they are using a simpler set up to say that of Audi standard LED lights with auto levelling.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also seen this, could it be that Euro EV6 cars has maybe too much adjustment on the LEDs, and they need adjusted up to show more road? KIA EV6 Online Manual in Eng also are these holes behind the LED headlight clusters? like after you take a cap off a tube, there is a hole where the HID LED lamp goes?
Product Font Screenshot Magenta Automotive design

·
Registered
343 Posts
I almost feel they need to be raised slightly as per the manual suggests for light adjustment. Wonder if this would fix things. We are not not sure if there are bulbs that can be changed or not. Looking like they are sealed units, however there may be hope yet with findings above, really need a few things confirmed.

1. Can bulbs upgraded?. 50/50 at this stage, needs confirmed.

2. Does light adjustment from the back of each cluster help with range if they are pointed ever so slightly up a bit?. Don't want to blind drivers. This can be done but will it help...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts