Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thats why I dont let a dealer clean a new a new car anymore, typical damage caused to paint and soft plastics, I know it doesnt bother the majority of people how they get their shiny new car, but I would rather mine starts life without the myriad of fine scratches. I speak from bad experiences, especially with dark coloured or black cars. Luckily the guy appears to have been able to remove them and car looks great.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,766 Posts
Very nice job indeed, looks very well done, do you mind me asking what you paid?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice job indeed, looks very well done, do you mind me asking what you paid?
Hey I just shared the video, caught my eye as its the colour I've ordered. I know it's your ordered colour too.

I got a discovery sport ceramic coated 2 years ago, as I recall it was £600 or so. Dealer washed it once, and yes under the lights you could see loads of swirl marks, so detailer had to do a stage 1 prep before applying the coating.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,766 Posts
Hey I just shared the video, caught my eye as its the colour I've ordered. I know it's your ordered colour too.

I got a discovery sport ceramic coated 2 years ago, as I recall it was £600 or so. Dealer washed it once, and yes under the lights you could see loads of swirl marks, so detailer had to do a stage 1 prep before applying the coating.
(y)

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line
112 Posts
So my detailer sent me some photos that look exactly like the pre-work one from the video. It's absurd this car is 1 week old and only washed on pre-delivery and had marks
What is a 5 year ceramic if I may ask?
A ceramic coating can be applied and with proper care can last a certain number of years, 1,2,5,10. Typically priced accordingly. A car is washed, then buffed, then claybar waxed, then a layer of a liquid ceramic is applied and after 4-5 days of curing is quite invincible to everything but rock chips and deep scratches. It's not cheap, but it sure protects the car, and the sooner applied, the better.

Read this for good info: What Is Ceramic Coating | Ceramic Pro Vs. DIY Ceramic Coatings

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve done “Clear Bra” on past vehicles. It’s included on mirrors, by corners of doors and bumpers. Sounds like ceramic is recommended by those here. Can you tell me why this is better?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Our FE was just under 65K out the door minus rebates. PPF is the best protection for matte paint because matte paint cannot be polished like gloss clear coat paint. So PPF provides the best protection for matte finishes. It can cost anywhere from $1,500 to $6,500 depending on the PPF brand and how much of the car is being covered. A gloss finish can be polished because most of the damage doesn't get beneath the clear coat to the paint. If it does, you need to properly touch up the paint, buff it smooth, then apply a clear coat over the touch up paint and buff it smooth with surroundings.

Ceramic coatings just apply a thin hard coat to the paint to help protect against water stains and light surface scratches and UV fading. They make it easier to remove bird droppings and bug strikes, road tar, etc. Your matte auto wash comes out cleaner and you accumulate less road dirt because the ceramic coat is a smoother surface finish that is less sticky for contaminants in the air.

Ceramics can be DIY (I coated my car with Gyeon products) or you can schedule with a shop where the Pro's (people who are usually over age 14 and have been somehow trained or learned by watching others) will apply the coatings and provide you a piece of paper with a set of obligations you must follow along with procedures and actions if the coating doesn't perform as they represent it to perform. Most shops are quoting $1,000 and up for a ceramic coating, again depending on how much of the vehicle you coat. I did my paint, glass, trim and wheels. My cost was $450 for materials and supplies, plus about 10 hours of labor. the labor was washing, drying, reading the directions, applying the coatings and wiping off.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It amazes me just how scratched up the car was, considering it was only washed twice! I certainly will be asking my dealer (once it arrives) to specifically NOT wash it and keep the plastic wrap on the car until I can get it to a detailer for ceramic coating. Perhaps keeping the plastic wrap on might attract the police, so I might just peel it myself on site before I drive directly to the detailer.

I've ordered the white, so scratches should, in theory be much harder to see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts