Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am VERY pleased with the car. Looks great, and drives great. BUT: the fast charging is very disappointing.
They advertise with 10-80% in 18 minutes..... That is bull.... I have tried fast charging 3 times now. Never been remotely close to that.
Today I charged at Ionity 350kw charger. I tried to turn off the HVAC as I see some recommend to see if that would help: I got 16 kWh in 19 minutes...... I always charge at Ionity. Always same sucking result.

Anyone else suffer the same issue?

Registered
Isn't doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different outcome the very definition of insanity?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. 馃お馃馃お

Try different chargers. Evgo, electricity america, etc. Hopefully it's just the one you're using. If others are working, report an issue with the 'slow' charger.

Registered
Yes, but Kia is part owner of Ionity. So one would think Ionity is best for charging. And you also get a very nice discount at Ionity when buying an EV6.
Ohhh. Now Im jealous about the power discount. I didn't know the Kia was steakholder either. I don't know anything about Ionity.

If your battery isn't between something like 25掳c-50掳c at the time if charge, I'd have a chat with Kia.

I'm just going to go back to my hole. ;)

Registered
What was your SOC? Just found this:

"The things get complicated after 46% SOC, when the power output starts to decrease - in instant steps - reaching about 186 kW at 47% SOC, then 116 kW at 58% SOC and finally 30 kW at 63% SOC. That's an extraordinary sight.

"Not only that. Then, the power output increases in a very short time up to over 191 kW at 66% SOC, and starts to decrease more linearly from then. Around 78% SOC it hits a 62 kW dip, and another one of just 6 kW at 82% SOC.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm might be my SOC then. I charged at around 50%, had 46/47 kW until it reached 60% then it went up to 91kw. But by then I was so pissed I ended the charging :)

Is there a way to check the battery temperature?

I also see that we are lucky in Norway with our Ionity deal. We pay 0.18$ per kwh

Registered
The best way to improve the charging is to purchase another new vehicle in 5-7 years, by then all of this would be solved. We are fortunate to live in a warm climate. If I lived in an area with a cold winter climate, I'm buying a diesel. Once started in the freezing weather it generates a ton of heat and can idle and heat the interior with a relatively filled fuel tank for a few days. No freezing to death for me in the 75 car black ice pile up in Minnesota. I'd have my snuggle blanket, my water and my pop tarts too.

Registered
Is there a way to improve battery temp while charging? Sitting at a 350kw charger with 43% SOC and 70kW charging current
Just because the charger says it is 350 kW capable doesn't mean it has that optimal amount of power available to transfer to you at the time of your charging. The 350 kW is the capability of the charger, but just like cable TV, it may or may not be working properly.

Registered
Just because the charger says it is 350 kW capable doesn't mean it has that optimal amount of power available to transfer to you at the time of your charging. The 350 kW is the capability of the charger, but just like cable TV, it may or may not be working properly.
I get that and the charge current did increase to 130kw later on. So definitely a battery temp issue and not a charger capability issue

Registered
Hmmm might be my SOC then. I charged at around 50%, had 46/47 kW until it reached 60% then it went up to 91kw. But by then I was so pissed I ended the charging :)

Is there a way to check the battery temperature?

I also see that we are lucky in Norway with our Ionity deal. We pay 0.18$ per kwh
To check battery temp, you need the carscanner app and and an OBD2 dongle (see TeslaBjorn videos). Let's you see the min battery temp. And then if cold you'll see the snowflake icon in the main screen battery whilst the car is diverting charge to the battery heater.

Screenshot of carscanner and also table showing max charge speed given min battery temp.

carscanner
Product Font Circle Design Number

Guidelines for max charge speed

Font Material property Number Document Screenshot

M

1 - 20 of 28 Posts