Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I have it set to automatically lock the charging handle while charging and that function works fine- when it's done charging in the morning I just unplug it and go. My question is whether it's safe/possible to unplug while the charger is still going?

I see in the manual (starting on page 1-27) how to disconnect, but the first line says "When charging is complete...";I can't find anything that mentions unplugging while charging is still active. I was at a public L2 charger the other day that had no start/stop buttons and the charger was still running when I was ready to leave. I know the book says you can hit unlock from the fob to unlock the connector, but I hesitated to do that so instead went to the app and stopped charging from there. At that point the charger automatically tried to start charging again (the car even said charging started), so I hit stop charging in the app again and unplugged it as soon as it unlatched. It would be nice if the other button behind the charge door could stop charging too instead of just overriding a scheduled charge.

Also, is the app the only way to stop charging manually or has anyone found a way to do it from the dash?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
222 Posts
The TL;DR is when you press the release button on the J1772, it disconnects the charging station, so there's no need to manually shut it off. As NobodyInParticular said, unlock the car, press the release button and unplug. For me, no worries about watching for lights or sounds from the charging station.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do the following:
- Unlock car and hear charging plug unlock
- Press unlock lever on J1772 connect and observe that the charging progress blinkenlight stops blinkin'
- Unplug

Thanks, that sounds like a solid plan. That is a surprisingly detailed Wikipedia entry; I figured they made it pretty idiot proof, but it's nice to see that between pushing the handle button & the prox. pin there should be no current flow by the time it's being disconnected.

I'm still sort-of surprised it wasn't mentioned in the manual, but I guess that's more a function of the EVSE than the car. It's not like an ICE vehicle gives you directions how to use a gas pump haha

·
Registered
490 Posts
The TL;DR is when you press the release button on the J1772, it disconnects the charging station, so there's no need to manually shut it off. As NobodyInParticular said, unlock the car, press the release button and unplug. For me, no worries about watching for lights or sounds from the charging station.
I think the key may be that you need to initiate an unlock-car sequence first (e.g., press unlock on keyfob) before then attempting to unplug the charger from the charge port; I attempted to unplug the charger from the port while it was still in charging state; despite the car already been unlocked (I typically leave it unlocked when parked in my garage) I was unable to remove the charger from the port--it was still locked in.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Yacht Blue
160 Posts
It would be nice if the other button behind the charge door could stop charging too instead of just overriding a scheduled charge.
Thanks for mentioning that in your post! When the dealer was showing me how to use the charger, he said to press and hold that button to "unlock" the connector. I believed him and didn't think twice about it (it does have the word "hold" on it after all). I've been holding that button down, then pressing the unlock lever on the connector which always just worked as he said! Your comment made me second guess and look it up in the manual. Damn car dealerships. LOL But I haven't been electrocuted yet so thank goodness for the connector locking mechanisms working as designed! 😅

1 - 7 of 7 Posts