Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the government are trying to pass a law that stops you from any sort of playing with your car, there is a petition here,

So even if you want to make any changes it may become against the law.

·
Registered
343 Posts
What a nanny state the UK is becoming, really really puts me off living here, to stop people modding their cars full stop is just silly. I get it, some are unsafe for road use and people go too far with some mods some are too loud and potentially very unsafe, but a blanket law would have a huge impact on folks who work in this industry, enjoy doing this for a hobby (me) when I had my Audi A4, not soo much with an EV but that will come in time as well.

I mean to mod a car soo much it won't pass an MOT, fine, it failed, it's unsafe, fix it, I get that. But real mods to a car that will pass an MOT and are professionally fitted, upgraded brakes, better-looking exhaust (not too loud from original) car wrapping, the list goes on. The boy racers of the UK may have a hand in why this law was made up.. I may be mistaken, not looked into it fully.

·
Super Moderator
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a nanny state the UK is becoming, really really puts me off living here, to stop people modding their cars full stop is just silly. I get it, some are unsafe for road use and people go too far with some mods some are too loud and potentially very unsafe, but a blanket law would have a huge impact on folks who work in this industry, enjoy doing this for a hobby (me) when I had my Audi A4, not soo much with an EV but that will come in time as well.

I mean to mod a car soo much it won't pass an MOT, fine, it failed, it's unsafe, fix it, I get that. But real mods to a car that will pass an MOT and are professionally fitted, upgraded brakes, better-looking exhaust (not too loud from original) car wrapping, the list goes on. The boy racers of the UK may have a hand in why this law was made up.. I may be mistaken, not looked into it fully.
Think the issue is the ones who mod there cars, are either unsafe or unfit for the road and this does not get picked up till the MOT when the car has been on the road potentially for many months.

The easiest solution would be to have a law that says if you modify your car it must be MOT checked regardless of if its due to be MOT or not, that way cars on the road that have been modified will at least be road safe.

That said there are plenty of unmodified cars on the road that are unfit to be on the road.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Amen to that, some are just too loud!! I wasn't quite an offender of this, but almost, however, I did change my Audi A4 exhaust to a stainless steel duel exit type, for looks more than anything else, the A4 from 2019 comes with a tiny pea-shooter type looking thing :). Thankfully those days are behind me! although I am fully expecting someone local to buy my old Audi from the Kia dealership locally., I live in a semi-small town!.. Someone else will be boosting around in it soon I am sure! mostly to the petrol station though :)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts