Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the EV6 (as sold in the UK - I imagine there can be differences from country to country) have any kind of built-in GPS tracking?
I am thinking of some kind of GPS tracking system should the car be stolen.

If it doesn't, have any of you fitted one?

I am familiar with trackers for motorcycles but not for cars so any insight or recommendation would be useful. Motorcycle trackers typically alert you when the bike is moved without being turned on (e.g. loaded in a van, but much less relevant for cars) or when it is moved without a matching keyfob the driver must keep next to the car key.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the EV6 (as sold in the UK - I imagine there can be differences from country to country) have any kind of built-in GPS tracking?
I am thinking of some kind of GPS tracking system should the car be stolen.

If it doesn't, have any of you fitted one?

I am familiar with trackers for motorcycles but not for cars so any insight or recommendation would be useful. Motorcycle trackers typically alert you when the bike is moved without being turned on (e.g. loaded in a van, but much less relevant for cars) or when it is moved without a matching keyfob the driver must keep next to the car key.
Yes in the connect app you can find the location of the vehicle.

But I don't know if there will be a message if the vehicle is moved and is 'closed'.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Signal blockers are easy enough to come by. Any decent car thief would have this disabled before you even know your car is gone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Signal blockers are easy enough to come by. Any decent car thief would have this disabled before you even know your car is gone.
Maybe, but that is then applicable for all anti theft options (signal blockers).

Other (low cost) option is maybe a apple airtag?
But that can also be found by others I guess (don't have them and don't have an iphone)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe, but that is then applicable for all anti theft options (signal blockers).

Other (low cost) option is maybe a apple airtag?
But that can also be found by others I guess (don't have them and don't have an iphone)
Apple airtag is based on bluetooth and connect to 'find my phone' if no one is near the tag it's 'offline' but it's a great and cheap solution to give a 'hint' where last known location are ... a.k.a on the other side of the planet after 3 weeks offline ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A low cost option for motorcycles is this: The Smart Motorcycle GPS Tracker It has its own battery so it doesn't drain the bike's - this is a concern with motorcycles, which have small 12v batteries (from 6Ah to 12Ah) but much less so with cars, which have huge batteries by comparison. You must carry a tag; it's relatively cheap because you get an automated call but not a call from a monitoring station staffed by real people. I have read good reviews of the Scorpion car trackers, which use a similar concept - either a fob or a thingy on your phone, and a monitoring station calls you if they detect movement without your fob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts