Kia EV Forum banner

Does the RWD Long Range support Vehicle-to-Load adapter?

6K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  It Does Not Matter 
#1 ·
Recently picked up my RWD Long Range and was asking a dealer on why there is no Vehicle-to-Load adapter - they said that it is not supported on this trim, but I have doubts about it because I don't find confirmation on the internet. Does anybody know if this is the case?

Luggage and bags Bag Grey Composite material Auto part

See less See more
#4 ·
I have the Light Trim RWD with 58 battery and have been told the same thing. However, I do have the function to set the discharge level for the V2L but no adapter came with the car. Further there are no plug in receptacles near the rear seat.
My understanding is that the Wind trim does have the V2L and should have an adapter included.
Since you stated "long range" I'm guessing you have a Wind RWD

#7 ·
yeah Canadian version,
I was also got confused with "Light", "Wind" trim names... we don't have it.
So far found this Specs table, looks like only GT-line has it. But still curious to try if I get the adapter from somewhere - if it's going to work. 😀

Font Material property Parallel Document Number

#18 ·
I saw that and that isnt for for USA plug types. The 110V plug type on that is different.
That is correct, thanks for pointing it out. The unit would require a converter plug much like I use with my electric razor when traveling internationally.
Of course it's a moot point if the lower trims won't support the V2L. But it would be a nice surprise if it did 👍

#15 · (Edited)
I have a Canadian GT-Line AWD LR w/Pkg-1 (no sun roof, 19" wheels, lower end audio, etc., etc.) and it did NOT come with a V2L (vehicle-to-load) adapter. I rather doubt the dealer kept it in this case. My vehicle also does NOT have the A/C recepticle under the rear seat. However, I believe my vehicle can make use of the V2L adapter if I had one. I will contact another EV6 owner who lives about a half hour away from me. He has the Pkg-2 which comes with the V2L adapter. We've been chatting for weeks about getting together. To try his V2L adapter on my car is as good a reason as any for us to finally meet. Will let you know the outcome when that happens.

My vehicle did come with a level 1 charge adapter and Kia Canada has provided a certificate for a Level 2 charger, which I have yet to decide which model I want.

Reactions: KiaV2L
#26 ·
Yes, that's why when dealer says something, I don't take it as granted right away, because looks like they do have all the details yet and also in the EV6 settings menu it is still showing V2L option - like mentioned in the comments above.

#30 ·
I’ve had success with the exterior V2L but less so with the interior one. It doesn’t charge my phone lol. (And yes I plugged it into the exterior to double check and it worked). A kettle does work on the inside. That’s all I’ve tried.

And it seems like the interior V2L doesn’t work while the car is in motion. I guess it has the same working parameters as the external one?

#35 ·
Tried today the V2L adaptor (from GT-Line pkg 2) on my EV6 and it did actually work!
It was changing my laptop using 110V 80W changer.

There was some confusion on how to disconnect it from my car 😀, we couldn't figure out for 10 mins.
Then googled and found that we had to shut down the car, lock it, move the key fob further than 10 meters, wait for couple minutes, then unlock the car - and only the the V2L adapter lock gets released and can be removed from the slot. I think it is not related to V2L adapter as sometimes I have to do similar process to release my charger at home.

Computer Netbook Personal computer Laptop Computer keyboard

Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive mirror Steering part

#36 ·
Here is another successful V2L experience. Sorry for the delay but it was the first opportunity for me to meet with SpyderGTA to borrow his V2L adapter for the test.

My red EV6 is a Canadian GT-Line AWD LR Pkg-1 vs SpydeGTA's blue EV6 which is a Pkg-2. Pkg-1 does not have the rear seat A/C outlet, nor things like sunroof or upgraded stereo system, and did NOT come with a V2L adapter (which does come with the Pkg-2).

The bottom two photos show the V2L adapter working on my EV6 even though I don't have the under-rear-seat A/C outlet.

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel

Here is a rare photo. Two licensed EV6s together. Red one without a sunroof or interieor A/C socket and blue one with. How long will having an EV6 be a rarity?

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

#38 ·
I went to Kia dealer in BC, Canada they said that this adaptor is provided only with a GTLine Pkg2 and is sold separately in the Part department yet, they can't find it in their parts database. Same think said the dealer in WA, usa.

Apparently on eBay there are quite a bit of options for buying the v2l adaptor shipped (for free) from South Korea for as low as $218.70.

#41 ·
V2L adaptor inners are so simple and straightforward, so you can do it yourself if you know the basics of radio electronics or should soon expect some cheap analogs produced by asian markets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.