Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how useful the auto pop-out door handles are. On the manual ones, is it annoying to have to first touch the button area on the handle before opening the door?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
26 Posts
If your car is everytime absolutely free of dirt, then it makes probably only a little difference.
But in case of normal usage I would prefer to touch the clean back surface of the door handle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think it is more a gadget then a real benefit. But as every reduction in actions is a benefit. In the morning when I walk to my car with my laptop, cup of coffee (drive > 45min), and water bottle it will be much more easy to only pull the handle. But it is a luxury... Would I miss it when I did not have it, no. Most likely I will miss it on the next car..

My current car I have to touch the back of the handle to unlock en then pull. This sometimes is not detected which results in pulling on a locked door. Not sure how this works with the Kia in manual one, but automatic this would never be an issue

·
Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for your impressions. My current car (volvo) detects touch on the back of handle. I've learned to hesitate for a moment before pulling, but my less patient daughter is always yanking on the locked door.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks to you both for your impressions. My current car (volvo) detects touch on the back of handle. I've learned to hesitate for a moment before pulling, but my less patient daughter is always yanking on the locked door.
Patience. Myself and my joungest son both lack this capability. My wife and older son seem to have mastered it and indeed have no issues with opening ;-)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have actually got used to the EV6 handles now on the GT Line, weird how quickly people can adapt, its seems natural now I tough the Audi A4 handles were odd having top pull them up instead of out back in 2018 :). Seem a Tesla video in instagram of the handle frozen closed, wouldn't pop out at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've disabled the automatic flapping. It's just too annoying. MIrrors doing the same aswell.

But disabling "welcome mirrors" disables the folding alltogether, which is just stupid. It should unfold on powerup and fold on powerdown or lock. Period.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
For Wind edition, I understand it doesn't have auto pop-out door handles but do they pop-out at all when unlocking?
From the video it looks like you push the handle in and then pull on the part that pops out to open the door, do not think you have any automatic feature if the handle does not pop out when unlocked it will all be manual.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line
112 Posts
On my GT-Line, it's fully automatic but can be used manually. This design is going to be stupid for ring wearers, bracelets, and even watch bands. I HIGHLY recommend a solution for a clear wrap around the handle or else your honey's diamonds gonna cost you some paint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was very disappointed when I learned the auto-popout handles are only available on the GT-line. I have young children that I am certain will not be able to open the doors without the handles popping out automatically, and the RWD GT-line is too slow for my tastes. Considering ~$500 for the paint color, $350 for the homelink mirror (sidebar: it is 2022 and built-in buttons to connect to a garage is optional? Really??), $350 for interior lights, and the $1250 destination fee, the Kia EV6 is competitively priced against the BMW i4 eDrive40 with a few options (yes RWD only, but it is fast enough and I live in the desert).

This would have been an instant purchase of the AWD Wind, if the auto-handles were standard or an option, but they are only available on the GT-line. Now I'm left with a fairly tough question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was very disappointed when I learned the auto-popout handles are only available on the GT-line. I have young children that I am certain will not be able to open the doors without the handles popping out automatically, and the RWD GT-line is too slow for my tastes. Considering ~$500 for the paint color, $350 for the homelink mirror (sidebar: it is 2022 and built-in buttons to connect to a garage is optional? Really??), $350 for interior lights, and the $1250 destination fee, the Kia EV6 is competitively priced against the BMW i4 eDrive40 with a few options (yes RWD only, but it is fast enough and I live in the desert).

This would have been an instant purchase of the AWD Wind, if the auto-handles were standard or an option, but they are only available on the GT-line. Now I'm left with a fairly tough question.
Interestingly my 4 yr old daughter has no problem opening it, and has an easier time than the Niro EV we had. She uses one had to push the handle in and then uses the other hand to pull on the handle open. With the angle it pops out, she has leverage to have the door swing open. The Niro, she was pulling out straight and would have to yank it to open. The EV6 seems to easier.

But I do wish it popped out with the side view mirrors opening. But it's a lot easier and I'm getting used to it over time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can the auto pop handles be fitted into the wind edition?
Buy that parts from the GT line and replace the ones in the car.
Will the wiring be there to install the new parts?
That woud be interesting. I would expect this to be feasible, but you never know how they developped the car.
It could also be that the initial wiring differs. From a design perspective I would expect that only in the door itself it will be different. But it is a big guess..

Assume it all comes down to really opening a door of both versions and compare... I did see a post yesterday of a person who openend their door panel and made pictures of it...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts