Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
EV6 Wind AWD w/Tech Package
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drag raced a couple Tesla Model Ys in my Kia EV6 Wind AWD at Dominion Raceway this past weekend. The drag race with the Tesla Model Y Long Range was fairly close, but I was faster from 0-50 mph or so, which ultimately gave me the win. Against the Tesla Model Y Performance, the drag race was closer than I thought it would be honestly. We were very close until around 40 mph, but after that the Tesla Model Y Performance pulled away. I'm happy with how my EV6 did though. Enjoy! :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jeff. Cool vids. Just curious. Do you think there will ever be an aftermarket / third party "CHIP" that increases performance and disables the governor?
I think we're a ways out from that in these kinds of vehicles. Even if there was, I wouldn't trust it. And the warranty on various aspects of the powertrain would be void.

Registered
Hey Jeff. Cool vids. Just curious. Do you think there will ever be an aftermarket / third party "CHIP" that increases performance and disables the governor?
From engineering standpoint there is no way to increase power to the propulsion unit without changing inverter on the propulsion unit, artificial software boost can be done but inverter will experience accelerated degradation or possible getting fried from additional current draw. Then there is another problem with HV battery pack big fuse that will burn if current is exceeded. Retrofitting Genesis hardware is more likely, but you should have big pockets for this type of modification.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From engineering standpoint there is no way to increase power to the propulsion unit without changing inverter on the propulsion unit, artificial software boost can be done but inverter will experience accelerated degradation or possible getting fried from additional current draw. Then there is another problem with HV battery pack big fuse that will burn if current is exceeded. Retrofitting Genesis hardware is more likely, but you should have big pockets for this type of modification.
Yeah the only thing I'm hoping for is that they've built in a buffer and it's not currently pulling the maximum, and maybe they can enable more power.

Registered
I'm hoping its way underrated like the taycan. Otherwise I wound not be happy lol.
There will be range hit due to the 21" wheels/tires.. how much I don't know in the real world but it won't be insignificant compared to the GT-Line AWD.

The BMW i4 RWD is crazy efficient (easily 320+ miles of range in real world) with 18" and 19". The AWD trim is a tad less efficient but then if you use the summer performance 20" tires... the efficiency plummets. I suspect this is what is happening with the EV6 GT trim... much like how the Ioniq 5 Limited AWD is less efficient than the Ioniq 5 SEL AWD also.

BMW i4 M50 specs (U.S. version):

• EPA Range
    19" wheels (245/40R19 / 255/40R19): 270 miles (434 km)
    20" wheels (255/35R20 / 285/30R20): 227 miles (365 km)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There will be range hit due to the 21" wheels/tires.. how much I don't know in the real world but it won't be insignificant compared to the GT-Line AWD.

The BMW i4 RWD is crazy efficient (easily 320+ miles of range in real world) with 18" and 19". The AWD trim is a tad less efficient but then if you use the summer performance 20" tires... the efficiency plummets. I suspect this is what is happening with the EV6 GT trim... much like how the Ioniq 5 Limited AWD is less efficient than the Ioniq 5 SEL AWD also.

BMW i4 M50 specs (U.S. version):

• EPA Range
    19" wheels (245/40R19 / 255/40R19): 270 miles (434 km)
    20" wheels (255/35R20 / 285/30R20): 227 miles (365 km)
Ohhh wow I didn't realize the i4 has that much of a range hit.

Registered
Efficiency isn't the only variable when it comes to range--isn't battery size a factor as well? If an ICE vehicle can achieve 500+ miles on a single tank of gas, is it solely because it is fuel efficient...or maybe it could also be due in part to it having a larger-than-average sized fuel tank as well?

In the case of the BMW i4 RWD it offers a 83.9 kWh battery--only slighly-larger than that of the EV6 but still...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Efficiency isn't the only variable when it comes to range--isn't battery size a factor as well? If an ICE vehicle can achieve 500+ miles on a single tank of gas, is it solely because it is fuel efficient...or maybe it could also be due in part to it having a larger-than-average sized fuel tank as well?

In the case of the BMW i4 RWD it offers a 83.9 kWh battery--only slighly-larger than that of the EV6 but still...
Yeah definitely a consideration. Especially since it takes longer to charge bigger batteries.

Registered

I modeled a bunch of stuff on ABRP, and battery size doesn't much matter at all on a longer trip (beyond 2 charges required, or so), when it comes to travel time. It's solely charge-speed that matters, UNLESS the longer range would allow you to get to a 350kW charger that you otherwise could not. Then it can matter. As time goes on, and more charging infrastructure is created, I suspect we will see smaller and smaller batteries, as more chargers are available within a certain radius, and this will have the effect of lowering vehicle cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts