Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amongst the other things that I find absolutely stupid, dumb and not thought out well about the EV6, this one is so simple yet annoying the crap out of me. Why in the heck can you not lock the doors with the drivers door lock button as you exit the vehicle? Dumb dumb dumb. I have to turn around and push that stupid little indentation on the pop out door handle or I have to dig in my pocket for that heavy poorly designed (buttons on the side) remote just to lock the doors. What sense does that make?

I would leave it unlocked if I wasn't worried about some child running by and getting poked in the eye with the big thick slippery (when wet) protruding door handles. I'm starting to think 'just leave it unlocked in maybe someone will steal it'. Kia had better wake up and address all these little annoying issues before they kill future EV6 sales themselves.

I'm sorry for the rant this morning, but there is just so many little things that could be fixed with simple over the air updates, why aren't they doing it?

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE
57 Posts
So you want to lock the doors before you close the door? I could be wrong but I don't think most modern cars allow this, I assume to keep people from accidentally locking themselves out.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
So you want to lock the doors before you close the door? I could be wrong but I don't think most modern cars allow this, I assume to keep people from accidentally locking themselves out.
Exactly, you would possibly have people locking there keys in the car, would say its a good idea you can not do this.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Yacht Blue
160 Posts
Exactly, you would possibly have people locking there keys in the car, would say its a good idea you can not do this.
My same thoughts. I'm extra vigilant with making sure the key fob is in my hand or pocket before exiting the car. The procedure of removing keys from the ignition (which means having them in my hand is an after-thought) is just too ingrained into my muscle memory after several decades. I'm always worried I'm going to lock the key fob in the car but knowing I can't lock the car without the key fob anyway helps ease my concern. I, for one, appreciate this attention to detail from the designers.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
91 Posts
I've had cars with power locks for more than 20 years. The EV6 is the first car that won't let me lock the open driver door on the way out.

As for accidentally locking your fob in the car, all the fob cars I've had (going back to my 05 Prius) could tell if a fob was inside and beep at you instead of engaging the locks.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE
57 Posts
Interesting. Just out of curiosity since I have 4 cars at home right now I tested this:

EV6 - Does not allow this as you mention
Rivian R1T - Doesn’t even have a button on the door for locking doors (need to use the screen or one of the keys)
2018 Ram ProMaster - Does not allow this
2008 Subaru Forester - This one will let me do what you suggest

So the oldest car on the lot allows it :) but most do not.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
My VW Tiguan will not allow this either 2019, just tried.

Its all to do with safety.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The last few cars I had allowed you to lock all the doors with the button on the driver's sill as you are exiting the car, and would beep and not actually lock the doors if you left the fob in the car. Defintely the right design and much more convenient. It's weird Kia doesn't allow this. I am really enjoying the car though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine does. It’ll lock but if it detects the key inside, it’ll unlock all doors and beep twice (as if you were unlocking it). Not the end of the world if it doesn’t but it is nice (esp if I’m by myself - I just lock the door as I exit the car and can just shut the door and walk away).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you are wrong. Modern and not so modern cars/trucks will not allow you to lock yourself out with the key fob in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE
57 Posts
Yes, you are wrong. Modern and not so modern cars/trucks will not allow you to lock yourself out with the key fob in the vehicle.
I meant I could be wrong that most modern cars won’t let you lock the doors with the door open. That is my experience, most cars I have driven/owned over the post 7 years wouldn’t let you lock the doors with the door open. Are there exceptions sure, I said most.

Also on the other front I owned a Mercury Mystique that would lock the doors a set amount of time after turning it on. Multiple times I would start the car to warm it up and get out to scrape the windows and the car would lock me out, while running key fob in the car ignition.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I meant I could be wrong that most modern cars won’t let you lock the doors with the door open. That is my experience, most cars I have driven/owned over the post 7 years wouldn’t let you lock the doors with the door open. Are there exceptions sure, I said most.

Also on the other front I owned a Mercury Mystique that would lock the doors a set amount of time after turning it on. Multiple times I would start the car to warm it up and get out to scrape the windows and the car would lock me out, while running key fob in the car ignition.
Sorry, I still have to disagree. I have owned/driven/locked and unlocked several hundred cars/trucks including many KIA's (retired used car dealer) over the last 50 years, all but a few would lock all the doors using the power lock button on the drivers door or console as you exit so long as the key fob was not left in the car.

I do think any car that locked based on time as you explained would have been a safety issue. What if you had children in the car and that happened?

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE
57 Posts
Sorry, I still have to disagree. I have owned/driven/locked and unlocked several hundred cars/trucks including many KIA's (retired used car dealer) over the last 50 years, all but a few would lock all the doors using the power lock button on the drivers door or console as you exit so long as the key fob was not left in the car.

I do think any car that locked based on time as you explained would have been a safety issue. What if you had children in the car and that happened?
Haha.. no. Feel free to continue disagreeing.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
91 Posts
This looks like a case people talking past each other. To be clear, the topic is about locking the door form the inside and leaving the car after shutting it off, not leaving it running, locking from the inside, and walking away.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The last three cars I had opened upon approach 3-5m from the car.
Locking the car is using similar method. When you walk away and get 3-5m from the car, it locks.

To start the car there are sensors that detect the keyfob is inside the car, otherwhise it will not start. Too prevent that you drive away without the keyfob.

Same sensors are used to lock, when you get out and the key is inside the car it will never lock.

When you auto-lock the car it is still possible to open the car from insde to get out (passengers still in the car and driver got out with key-fob).

This works perfect on:
Volvo v60 2012
Seat Lean 2014
Renault Espace 2015

IMO the auto lock/unlock is industry standard in Europe, maybe not in the US.. But EV6 seems to be doing it only for 50% only on approach..

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE
57 Posts
This looks like a case people talking past each other. To be clear, the topic is about locking the door form the inside and leaving the car after shutting it off, not leaving it running, locking from the inside, and walking away.
I understood the purpose of the post. I just saw no purpose in arguing with OP further. His argument is that he has 50 years of experience so I should just trust is expertise but of course I have 4 cars in my driveway and 3 of them won't do what he is upset about.

Still don't fully understand why shutting the door and hitting the button on the door handle on the outside is any more inconvenient that pressing the button on the inside as you exit. In both scenarios you can leave your keys in your pockets.

Even more ridiculous is OPs concern about poking some kids eye with the door handle, very common injury with Tesla owners... lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understood the purpose of the post. I just saw no purpose in arguing with OP further. His argument is that he has 50 years of experience so I should just trust is expertise but of course I have 4 cars in my driveway and 3 of them won't do what he is upset about.

Still don't fully understand why shutting the door and hitting the button on the door handle on the outside is any more inconvenient that pressing the button on the inside as you exit. In both scenarios you can leave your keys in your pockets.

Even more ridiculous is OPs concern about poking some kids eye with the door handle, very common injury with Tesla owners... lol
I don't want to argue with anyone, we're all entitled to our own opinon.

As DaveinNewEngland posted above, quote "The last few cars I had allowed you to lock all the doors with the button on the driver's sill as you are exiting the car, and would beep and not actually lock the doors if you left the fob in the car. Defintely the right design and much more convenient. It's weird Kia doesn't allow this. I am really enjoying the car though".

Overall I am enjoying the car as well, however it could be more enjoyable with a few OTA updates. It's just experience and common sense none of which the software engineer must have had at the time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts