Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a road trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver BC. Once I crossed the border it kept reading the speed limit signs. I was able to change the car to metric so everything made sense.

SiriusXM kept working. It gets weak in the mountains but works for the most part. HDA stopped working. More on that later.

Kia Access does not work here in Vancouver, BC. The signal strength sometimes has two bars. The app doesn't make contact. I haven't tried the Kia Connect app but I assume it won't work since the car has Kia Access installed. This means I can't unlock doors from the app or see state of charge.

I tried reactivating Kia Access from the car but that timed out. The car is on Verizon so maybe I'm getting a roaming signal here.

Nav based smart cruise control started working after 24 hours. It will slow down for curves on highways.

Same goes for HDA. It worked all of a sudden after 24 hours.

Nav itself does work but it has been using onboard mode since I left Los Angeles. The nav locations for chargers is accurate and helpful.

And finally, Electrify America is Electrify Canada. You need a separate app. The charging credit code doesn't work.

Chargepoint, on the other hand, works fine. I can start Flo chargers from the app.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Such a hassle. You would think that designers/engineers would think about the fact that the US and Canada, and to a lesser extent Mexico, share an enormous border with millions of people living within driving distance. Connectivity should work and I have no clue why Electrify America and Electrify Canada can't work on their own. Tesla really is years ahead with their integration. I was going to do a Canada trip soon but kinda dreading it now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's not so bad. Chargepoint has been a clear winner on this trip as my same app that works at home activated BC Hydro today too.

The real winner was Petro Canada. I got 20 minutes of 350 kW charging totally free. EA was also free at one stop in Washington. No explanation for either of these.

One big difference in Canada is that they charge by the minute instead of by kWh. This is due to a government limitation from the board of weights and measures.

I can't wait to try Mexico.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's not so bad. Chargepoint has been a clear winner on this trip as my same app that works at home activated BC Hydro today too.

The real winner was Petro Canada. I got 350 kW totally free. EA was also free at one stop in Washington. No explanation for either of these.

One big difference in Canada is that they charge by the minute instead of by kWh. This is due to a government limitation from the board of weights and measures.

ChargePoint will work with BC Hydro, FLO and Greenlots in Canada.

·
Registered
21 Posts

The real winner was Petro Canada. I got 20 minutes of 350 kW charging totally free. EA was also free at one stop in Washington. No explanation for either of these.

EA is randomly free on weekends and holidays so that might explain the free EA charge . . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EA is randomly free on weekends and holidays so that might explain the free EA charge . . .
Thanks! Mystery solved. It was 5AM on a Saturday morning in a mall parking lot in Kelso, Washington.

That's a good way to make up for the trouble and keep me using their chargers. It wasn't even my original planned stop.

The free charge on Petro Canada was on a Monday evening. For that one, the charger didn't give any indication it would be free. It just started running when I connected it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thanks! Mystery solved. It was 5AM on a Saturday morning in a mall parking lot in Kelso, Washington.

That's a good way to make up for the trouble and keep me using their chargers. It wasn't even my original planned stop.

The free charge on Petro Canada was on a Monday evening. For that one, the charger didn't give any indication it would be free. It just started running when I connected it.
What kind of power were you drawing from Petro Can? Most comments I’ve read said that power was limited (across the country). Looking at your screenshot, it seems like you would’ve gotten decent power given the emergent dispensed and time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of power were you drawing from Petro Can? Most comments I’ve read said that power was limited (across the country). Looking at your screenshot, it seems like you would’ve gotten decent power given the emergent dispensed and time.
I snapped photos of just under 200kW reported by charger and car. Location was Victoria heading to Swartz Bay ferry on Patricia Bay Hwy.

Honestly I have learned to temper my expectations on fast charging.

The best I've seen on this trip was 200-250 kW.
Communication Device Line Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gadget

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Plant Steering wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I snapped photos of just under 200kW reported by charger and car. Location was Victoria heading to Swartz Bay ferry on Patricia Bay Hwy.

Honestly I have learned to temper my expectations on fast charging.

The best I've seen on this trip was 200-250 kW.
View attachment 4119
View attachment 4117
Awesome! That’s good news. At least there is hope that some of their chargers do output high power.

Thanks for that!

Which chargers were you able to see 200-250kW? I don’t intend to travel far in the winter so hopefully coldgating won’t be an issue for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which chargers were you able to see 200-250kW? I don’t intend to travel far in the winter so hopefully coldgating won’t be an issue for me.
Oh, it was early in the trip. On one of my first charges in Central California I hit about 217kW after three hours of continuous driving. I stopped staring at it as I'm always disappointed not to see anything in the 300+ range. I don't know much about how this is supposed to work.

At Garibaldi Village Shopping Centre in Squamish, I found a 350 kW charger and got something in the 150 kW range which disappointed me so I disconnected. I plugged into a 150 kW charger instead and it was delivering around 70 kW. Outside temps were about +7 degrees C and I had Winter mode on just in case. (Snow on the ground made me think it was colder than it really was.)

All in all, my experience in Canada as a road trip tourist has not been disappointing. I was pleasantly surprised to find a Level 2 charger in a mall parking lot where I was going to park anyway. At my hotel there's an adjacent office park with Level 2 Flo charging spaces but there's a two-hour limit on those. Things are getting better.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
252 Posts
Oh, it was early in the trip. On one of my first charges in Central California I hit about 217kW after three hours of continuous driving. I stopped staring at it as I'm always disappointed not to see anything in the 300+ range. I don't know much about how this is supposed to work.
I think the maximum the car can do is about 250, or maybe a tiny bit more. It needs a 350 KW charger to achieve that rate. I'm pretty sure it can't do 350, or even 300.

With a 150 KW charger, you should be able to get close to 150 KW.

·
Registered
246 Posts

At Garibaldi Village Shopping Centre in Squamish, I found a 350 kW charger and got something in the 150 kW range which disappointed me so I disconnected. I plugged into a 150 kW charger instead and it was delivering around 70 kW. Outside temps were about +7 degrees C and I had Winter mode on just in case. (Snow on the ground made me think it was colder than it really was.)

All in all, my experience in Canada as a road trip tourist has not been disappointing. I was pleasantly surprised to find a Level 2 charger in a mall parking lot where I was going to park anyway. At my hotel there's an adjacent office park with Level 2 Flo charging spaces but there's a two-hour limit on those. Things are getting better.
I thought I had read here that the EV6 peaks at 235-250kW even on the 350kW stations. I believe this has something to do with battery/heat protection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the maximum the car can do is about 250, or maybe a tiny bit more. It needs a 350 KW charger to achieve that rate. I'm pretty sure it can't do 350, or even 300.

With a 150 KW charger, you should be able to get close to 150 KW.
This is the info I needed. Thank you.

What about those times when I connect to a charger labeled 150 KW and the car says I'm getting 170 KW delivered? (This has happened several times at EA sites that have a 350 KW already in use or out of order.)

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
252 Posts
This is the info I needed. Thank you.

What about those times when I connect to a charger labeled 150 KW and the car says I'm getting 170 KW delivered? (This has happened several times at EA sites that have a 350 KW already in use or out of order.)
I have no idea what to make of that. Obviously, something isn't working the way we would expect it to work.

·
Registered
94 Posts

EA will often be free if their connections with the mother ship is down. Rather than shutting down the entire charger, they let it run free. I've gotten quite a few freebies this way over the last several years with my EVs.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've seen some people post getting OVER 150kW at a 150kW charger.
I wonder if it's something to do with being co-located with an 800V 350kW charger and sharing its components? (i.e. it's just the same 350kW hardware but now just outputs 175kW (350/2) simply by running an extra wire instead to the 150kW side of the charger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts