Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my EV6 awd GTLine runway red from Muncie ind KIA on Tues 5/17 after leaving Pinehurst Nc at 6am that morning driving my 2018 Stinger there. I want to start the trip back home no later than 7pm and drive about 2hrs and crash. I am 81 a fulltime caregiver and while ahead of the curve mentally, I am struggling with the apps EA, ABRP, PS, CP,and EVGo. Since I will have a full charge I would like to stay at a motel with a level 2 charger. I can"t seem to find a good thread on how effective is the built in nav system. Is AA using Google maps or Waze a viable option. Please help. Thanks in advance as I have been overwhelmed with all the fantastic infomation I have read and watched on this forum. This like the Stinger forum was awesome.

·
Registered
Ordered: Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
78 Posts
Google Maps and Waze will help with traffic but will not plan charging stops. ABRP can plan the route, charging stops and you can add stopping points (waypoints) like a hotel for an overnight stay. ABRP can help find food and lodging near your waypoints or charger locations. For interstate travel, EA is probably your best bet since they are near highways.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I made a similar trip, picked up my car (coincidentally also a red GT-Line) in Columbia MO, and drove back to Atlanta GA. I used ABRP to plan the route (conservatively, I set it to not let charge get below 30% IIRC, and only charge up to 80%). I used plugshare to find a hotel that had charging along my route, and added that as a waypoint in ABRP. I started off with the web version, as I'm just generally faster interfacing with a PC. I set up an account with ABRP, then when I installed the app on my phone, I was able to log in and open that saved route. I also had set up an account ahead of time with EA, and entered the info for the free 1000kwh promo when I picked up the car, so used that on the way home.

I'd suggest playing with ABRP, then ask if you have some questions. It takes a minute to understand the interface, but works well once you do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
@EV6Stinger ABRP has you stopping twice for 2-1hour+ stops at ChargePoint DCFC that are 27-60 kW which is very low. The second of these is near Charleston, WV and that could be a good place to charge overnight. Usually Fairfield Inns by Marriott have L2 EVSEs.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
@EV6Stinger ABRP has you stopping twice for 2-1hour+ stops at ChargePoint DCFC that are 27-60 kW which is very low. The second of these is near Charleston, WV and that could be a good place to charge overnight. Usually Fairfield Inns by Marriott have L2 EVSEs.
I stayed at the Fairfield Inn by the Rochester airport. Airport hotels may have an advantage in as much as if they have an L2 charger, it's probably going to be available. Many people staying at an airport hotel just flew in, and either don't have/need a car, or they rented a car, and rental cars are rarely EVs -- and that rare rental EV is likely to be a Tesla. It's therefore likely that if an airport hotel has a J1772 charger, it's probably not being used by anyone else. The downside is airport hotels might be more expensive.

I didn't pick this hotel, but it worked out well, charging-wise. Was very pleased with the Fairfield, and they had a decent AAA discount as well.

If possible, I'd try to stop at EA chargers. You get 1000 KWh of free charging, most are 150 or 350 KW chargers, and the EV6 is a charging monster on those chargers, and they tend to be fairly reliable. Furthermore, in much of the country, they're conveniently located near the major highways.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
87 Posts
Take a look at this PlugShare search filtered for chargers over 50kW. West Virginia and eastern Kentucky is a desert of fast chargers.
Ecoregion World Nature Map Organism

Attachments

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line AWD Yacht Blue
144 Posts
I will be picking up my EV6 awd GTLine runway red from Muncie ind KIA on Tues 5/17 after leaving Pinehurst Nc at 6am that morning driving my 2018 Stinger there. I want to start the trip back home no later than 7pm and drive about 2hrs and crash. I am 81 a fulltime caregiver and while ahead of the curve mentally, I am struggling with the apps EA, ABRP, PS, CP,and EVGo. Since I will have a full charge I would like to stay at a motel with a level 2 charger. I can"t seem to find a good thread on how effective is the built in nav system. Is AA using Google maps or Waze a viable option. Please help. Thanks in advance as I have been overwhelmed with all the fantastic infomation I have read and watched on this forum. This like the Stinger forum was awesome.
Someone from the MME forum did a great detail write-up on how best to use ABRP with tips. Look at the attachment on the first post - linky.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ABRP allows to to set a network as "preferred", which is what I do for EA....Yes, chargers in WV are sparse. A couple of locations I have used when traveling through WV: Gallipolis OH (close to I-35 bridge over OH river between OH and WV) - there are two chargepoint 62kw chargers. Wytheville, VA (about 15 miles sourth of WV/VA border, at intersection of I-81 and I-77) Sheetz has several EA 350kw chargers.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 AWD Wind w/Tech Package
82 Posts
I use ABRP to plan, then use Waze to navigate to each stop (each one being its own trip). For hotels, I use plugshare to find them (there is a filter that works ok, but may not be 100% accurate) and then your site of choice for pricing (finding the best price with the most charging spots to increase chances they aren't full).

Basically, just know where you are heading to next when you are leaving a charger and be comfortable that you can get there even if traffic or a reroute comes up and you will be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took a look at your route and what I would do is stay in Dayton, there is a Fairfield Inn with Level 2. There are plenty of other chargers nearby if the one at the hotel has an issue.

Then here is the route for Day 2. There is a long stretch with no chargers so you will need to drive slow on this part. It is highlighted in orange.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 AWD Wind w/Tech Package
82 Posts
I took a look at your route and what I would do is stay in Dayton, there is a Fairfield Inn with Level 2. There are plenty of other chargers nearby if the one at the hotel has an issue.

Then here is the route for Day 2. There is a long stretch with no chargers so you will need to drive slow on this part. It is highlighted in orange.
That looks right. Gallipoli’s is a cool little town to walk around and grab a bite. You should be able to make it to Wytheville from there, but if you wanted to be conservative, you can sit in Charleston for a little while at a level 2 charger. You could do Yeager airport or this spot downtown. 501 Virginia St E, Charleston, WV 25301, USA
Shanklin Parking Garage
501 Virginia St E, Charleston, WV 25301, USA

Shanklin Parking Garage | PlugShare

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to thank all who replied to my inquiry and have been able to map out a trip home that will fulfill all of my needs. This forum is soh helpful that I just hope that I will be able to help others in the future. Thanks Terry

·
Registered
78 Posts
Move the Charging Stops slider one position right of Quickest Arrival and you can eliminate the reduction in speed by adding a 13 min charging stop. Generally when I get a speed limited section, doing this results in a faster arrival time but perhaps it is because I drive at 80-83 mph (I love to speed). I'll need to learn to reign it to 80 mph to increase efficiency.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah. I usually drive 9mph over but on this first trip home the speed limit will be followed...
If you want ABRP to have real-time battery consumption data, you can use an OBD2 adapter to wirelessly send data to the app. Here is a post on setting it up and some OBD2 adapters that work with ABRP (EV6 OBD2 ABRP). Otherwise ABRP tends to be conservative in its consumption for the EV6.

I purchased the vLinker MC+ due to the secure BLE connection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just picked up my EV6 from Pittsburgh this past weekend and used ABRP to plan the trip home to Southwest Ohio. I found ABRP useful to plan the trip but when it comes to driving I did not care for the turn by turn directions. I exported the ABRP trip to Google maps and use that for the drive. Worked well but if I had to make any trip changes I probably would’ve replanned it with a ABRP and then another export to Google maps I did find a ABRP to be a bit conservative for energy consumption even with tweaking the occupant weight and my anticipated drive speed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts