Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,073 Posts
Seat warmers. It's more efficient use of energy to directly heat your body than to heat the air around it. But like billcarter said, it depends on your tolerance and preference. That doesn't mean don't use the heater, but just use it sparingly to supplement your heated seat.

· Registered
83 Posts
You can check for yourself by going to the EV displays - specifically, EV usage will indicate how the energy usage is divided. That being said - if you use seat heaters only, you won't see any usage for the climate. If you use the heat button, you will see usage for climate and higher usage in total.

· Registered
917 Posts
To my understanding, the heated seats run off the v12 battery, while the AC heating is powered by the main HV battery? so in theory impacts your SOC?
If that were true, why wouldn't the 12V battery go flat in a matter of minutes every time you started driving? It's true that most things in the car are 12V, but it's also true that all the energy you use ultimately comes out of the traction battery.

· Registered
827 Posts
I don't see any power usage when I engage the heated seats.
I do. It's in the "electronics" category. They only draw a couple hundred watts, so it's not as noticeable, and sometimes lost in the noise of natural fluctuation. They're PTC heaters which draw less power as they heat up, so it's most noticeable when you first turn them on. Also, FWIW, when you use the climate control, the heat & compressor usage is shown under the "climate" category (and much more noticeable since it's much more power), but the fan is grouped with the electronics. So the "climate" category doesn't include all the power used to heat/cool the cabin.

· Registered
917 Posts
I do. It's in the "electronics" category. They only draw a couple hundred watts, so it's not as noticeable, and sometimes lost in the noise of natural fluctuation. They're PTC heaters which draw less power as they heat up, so it's most noticeable when you first turn them on. Also, FWIW, when you use the climate control, the heat & compressor usage is shown under the "climate" category (and much more noticeable since it's much more power), but the fan is grouped with the electronics. So the "climate" category doesn't include all the power used to heat/cool the cabin.
Now that I’m A/B testing the “electronics” category I do see the seats ticking the measurement up and down, but not necessarily by believable amounts. For instance, turning one on causes it to jump from about .3 to about .5kW. Turning both on causes the same jump.

I don’t really trust it at all since the other day I was flicking the headlights on and off and found that caused the category to drop to 0 when they were off. But I haven’t been able to reproduce that since - now when I try, headlights don’t appear to make a difference (which I’d bet is closer to the truth). If nothing else, the category is so aggressively smoothed it’s not that useful in the short term to see how much one thing draws.

· Registered
2022 EV6 WIND AWD
364 Posts
... when you use the climate control, the heat & compressor usage is shown under the "climate" category (and much more noticeable since it's much more power), but the fan is grouped with the electronics. So the "climate" category doesn't include all the power used to heat/cool the cabin.
Yeah, something's odd. I'm driving around at 30F and seeing about equal Climate and Electronics draws. I'll have to pay more attention; I usually see Climate 2x higher.
Leg 1: 1636Wh climate, 750Wh Accessories on 28,7kWh motive
Leg 2: 251Wh climate, 290Wh Accessories on 9.8kWh motive
Leg 3: 953Wh climate, 740Wh Accessories on 19.4kWh motive

· Registered
917 Posts
Yeah, something's odd. I'm driving around at 30F and seeing about equal Climate and Electronics draws. I'll have to pay more attention; I usually see Climate 2x higher.
Leg 1: 1636Wh climate, 750Wh Accessories on 28,7kWh motive
Leg 2: 251Wh climate, 290Wh Accessories on 9.8kWh motive
Leg 3: 953Wh climate, 740Wh Accessories on 19.4kWh motive
I've seen those numbers add up to triple what the drive actually consumed, so I don't trust them in the slightest.

· Registered
2022 Steel Gray Kia EV6 Wind AWD with Tech Package
60 Posts
I've seen those numbers add up to triple what the drive actually consumed, so I don't trust them in the slightest.
Really? Are you certain? I tend to watch that screen a lot because I am curious. I have never seen climate, electronics, and battery care ever come even close to matching what the drivetrain consumes. Typically, in the cold as it is now, the drivetrain takes about 80-85% and climate is the next most at 13-15% with electronics a distant third taking the rest of the percentage. Battery care I have one seen twice and that was after I was at fast chargers.

I tend to notice on long drives that the climate uses a lot of kW to start out with, then it tapers off quite a bit after the car interior warms up. I tend to keep the heated seats on and the climate set to auto and 68 degrees. So climate might use a lot to start out the trip but long before the end of the trip it isn't using much at all for me to worry about.

· Registered
917 Posts
Really? Are you certain? I tend to watch that screen a lot because I am curious. I have never seen climate, electronics, and battery care ever come even close to matching what the drivetrain consumes. Typically, in the cold as it is now, the drivetrain takes about 80-85% and climate is the next most at 13-15% with electronics a distant third taking the rest of the percentage. Battery care I have one seen twice and that was after I was at fast chargers.

I tend to notice on long drives that the climate uses a lot of kW to start out with, then it tapers off quite a bit after the car interior warms up. I tend to keep the heated seats on and the climate set to auto and 68 degrees. So climate might use a lot to start out the trip but long before the end of the trip it isn't using much at all for me to worry about.
To clarify so we’re on the same page:
1) drive, not drivetrain. I mean the numbers add up to more power than the whole trip consumed start to finish.
2) you gave numbers in Wh, so I’m assuming you got them from the app/Kia connect? Not the screen in the car?

For starters, Kia connect has been logging some trips, occasionally, and missing like 80% of them for months. I think my last trip I can see consumption for in Kia connect was early December. So that’s a red flag.

One of the trips I did see numbers for was up a mountain starting from 100% and arriving at 75%. The numbers in kia connect added up to 40kWh, which would have been well over 50% any way you massage it. That’s where my distrust comes from.

· Registered
2022 Steel Gray Kia EV6 Wind AWD with Tech Package
60 Posts
To clarify so we’re on the same page:
1) drive, not drivetrain. I mean the numbers add up to more power than the whole trip consumed start to finish.
2) you gave numbers in Wh, so I’m assuming you got them from the app/Kia connect? Not the screen in the car?

For starters, Kia connect has been logging some trips, occasionally, and missing like 80% of them for months. I think my last trip I can see consumption for in Kia connect was early December. So that’s a red flag.

One of the trips I did see numbers for was up a mountain starting from 100% and arriving at 75%. The numbers in kia connect added up to 40kWh, which would have been well over 50% any way you massage it. That’s where my distrust comes from.
I am referring to the energy usage screen in the EV6. I honestly haven't used the trip information in the Kia Connect app enough yet to know if those numbers are trustworthy. The energy usage screen shows you real time numbers and overall percentages of usage for the trip. Check it out it is worth it.

· Registered
917 Posts
I am referring to the energy usage screen in the EV6. I honestly haven't used the trip information in the Kia Connect app enough yet to know if those numbers are trustworthy. The energy usage screen shows you real time numbers and overall percentages of usage for the trip. Check it out it is worth it.
Ahh my bad - it was @fbov who posted the values from kiaconnect. I mixed you two up. Regarldess, the app's numbers make me intrinsically supsicious of the in-car numbers as well, though definitely less so.

· Registered
2022 EV6 WIND AWD
364 Posts
it was @fbov who posted the values from kiaconnect.
Correct.

The data is from a 220 mile loop, I'm a volunteer courier, so I do this loop regularly. Sadly, the prior two trips are in the Kia Connect blackout period, so no My Trips data available. Next best is November run at similar temperatures.
Leg 1: 1566 Wh climate, 820 Wh Accessories on 29.4 kWh motive
Leg 2: 594 Wh climate, 380 Wh Accessories on 9.1 kWh motive
Leg 3: 1026 Wh climate, 760 Wh Accessories on 19.9 kWh motive

Trust what you want, I trust data. What are you seeing?

· Registered
1,083 Posts
One of the trips I did see numbers for was up a mountain starting from 100% and arriving at 75%. The numbers in kia connect added up to 40kWh, which would have been well over 50% any way you massage it.
If one were to take the wording of that statement at face value, then the implication here is that somehow this person managed to regenerate enough energy during the drive to recoup roughly half of the 40 kWh of energy used in driving their vehicle UP the mountain. Or in straight-up numbers--they used up 40 kWh but after all that the battery had roughly 58 kWh still left in the tank. Or in fractions--that's using up over half the battery but wind up having 3/4ths still available. :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

· Registered
917 Posts
If one were to take the wording of that statement at face value, then the implication here is that somehow this person managed to regenerate enough energy during the drive to recoup roughly half of the 40 kWh of energy used in driving their vehicle UP the mountain. Or in straight-up numbers--they used up 40 kWh but after all that the battery had roughly 58 kWh still left in the tank. Or in fractions--that's using up over half the battery but wind up having 3/4ths still available. :ROFLMAO: :unsure:
Which is exactly why I say the data recorded is bullshit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts