Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bulletin provides the procedure to update the software logic of the Vehicle Charging Management System (VCMS) system on some 2022-2023MY EV6 vehicles produced from November 17, 2021 through December 20, 2022, which might experience inoperable High Voltage Battery (HVB) charging issues due to excessive high temperatures at the combo charger inlet module assembly.

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Nice to see a potential fix is out for this. I have a dealership appointment for Feb 22 to address this. I will bring this service bulletin along. Would love to know if anyone gets in sooner and has it done and whether it actually fixes the problem.

· Registered
127 Posts
Nice to see a potential fix is out for this. I have a dealership appointment for Feb 22 to address this. I will bring this service bulletin along. Would love to know if anyone gets in sooner and has it done and whether it actually fixes the problem.
My appointment is February 2nd but I won’t know if it fixed the issue until Spring when the outdoor ambient temperature gets out of the 30s and 40s.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 60 amp Chargepointe home charger. I will know right away. I can't charge at full power successfully at any temperature for more than an hour. (11.8 kw). Even at reduced (10.4 kw) I get failures at 30-40 degrees sometimes. After the fix, I will max it out and that will tell me what I need to know.

· Registered
Red GT LIne AWD, 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300
135 Posts
I have had my car since Sept 2022 (about 5k mile on it now). When I first got the car I would have trouble on DC chargers –– I would get charging failed messages –– and I would have to restart charging 1-2 times to get it finally charge.

I have an Emporia charger on a dedicated 60A circuit in my garage. At home I get "charge interrupted" messages. At first I would get them once or twice a session. Recently I have been getting them every 2-3 minutes, but the car does charge without me intervening. I have an appointment with the dealer this Wednesday to get this TSB done. I hope it fixes this problem.

· Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
736 Posts
I do have Emporia EVSE at home and it charges without issues at 48 and 40 Amps. At work there are a few 30 Amps Leviton EVSEs and I always have issues when I try to use these. I tried all car charging levels and it fails about an hour first time and it stops charging. If I restart charging from the phone it goes for about 7-10 minutes then it fails again and again. A coworker has a Tesla model Y and he told me he had experienced charged interrupted as well.

I had no issues charging using DC chargers at Electrify America and ChargePoint stations. I also charged using L2 ChargePoint in a parking lot without issues. I have my 8k maintenance in 3 weeks, I will report back my experience.

· Registered
14 Posts
Since buying my new Wind model in November, I've had to set the car to reduced power mode for L2 charging, or it would start and constantly stop and give up w/in a few minutes. I had the TBS applied today, referenced in this video, and it fixed my issue! I can now charge with the "maximum" setting and have seen an increase from 8 kW to 10 kW on the gauge cluster.

The same charger giving me a fuss has been L2, charging our Kona EV perfectly.

I saw it over the weekend referenced in this video

· Registered
127 Posts
Since buying my new Wind model in November, I've had to set the car to reduced power mode for L2 charging, or it would start and constantly stop and give up w/in a few minutes. I had the TBS applied today, referenced in this video, and it fixed my issue! I can now charge with the "maximum" setting and have seen an increase from 8 kW to 10 kW on the gauge cluster.

The same charger giving me a fuss has been L2, charging our Kona EV perfectly.

I saw it over the weekend referenced in this video
Thanks for sharing your experience, that's great to hear. I'm very curious what the software update actually does to resolve the issue. Seems like it has to be one of three things, either it's:

1. Telling the car to stop worrying about the heat and just keep charging

2. Altering something so that less heat is generated

3. Reducing the charge speed as needed when the charge port gets too hot.

But by the sounds if things, reducing the charge speed isn't what they're doing.

· Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience, that's great to hear. I'm very curious what the software update actually does to resolve the issue. Seems like it has to be one of three things, either it's:

1. Telling the car to stop worrying about the heat and just keep charging

2. Altering something so that less heat is generated

3. Reducing the charge speed as needed when the charge port gets too hot.

But by the sounds if things, reducing the charge speed isn't what they're doing.
My service writer said it had something to do with the software thinking the charge port is in a state of overheating. Error I assume

1 - 16 of 16 Posts