Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else share a concern about the lack of an actual physical interior door lock? I know VW has been using these electronic door locks for a while now.

Does the manual describe a physical release somewhere? I vaguely remember something in that English translation of the manual about “just try the door handle while pushing the door open” if the 12V battery dies.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. So if the 12V is dead, the 3 options won’t work. Basically we have to find the tailgate release switch. So, another question, is there a manual tailgate release button?

Edit: and again, where is said “manual” door lock referred to in point number one?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Don't have my EV6 yet, but my A4 doesn't have physical locks on the inside. If you pull the door handle while it's locked, it unlocks on the 1st pull, then opens the door on the 2nd. Perhaps that's manual unlock referred to in #1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess the acoustic glass in the front windows will be as hard to break as the windscreen? Having seen how easy it was for firefighters to get in the drivers window.. I guess those days are over too. Getting stuck in the car in a flood is a real possibility. I saw it happen to a Tesla last week even though it's less likely in an EV.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't have my EV6 yet, but my A4 doesn't have physical locks on the inside. If you pull the door handle while it's locked, it unlocks on the 1st pull, then opens the door on the 2nd. Perhaps that's manual unlock referred to in #1.
Maybe. Seems odd to call it “manual” unless it’s a translation problem.

In the EV6, I believe the front doors open on the 1st pull and the rear doors require two pulls.

Here’s the page on the interior door.

Here is the rear hatch

View attachment 2948

And here is the full manual for future reference. You might also be able to find it in your glove box as well.

Thank you for taking the time to post this!!
I’ll have to read through this manual again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
KiaevCan. This is the first I have hear about this. I think this is important to know. Perhaps we should approach robby-d to look it up or test the options. Considering the car sensors will auto lock any door attempting to open if a car drives by that could hit someone opening a door.

·
Registered
199 Posts
KiaevCan. This is the first I have hear about this. I think this is important to know. Perhaps we should approach robby-d to look it up or test the options. Considering the car sensors will auto lock any door attempting to open if a car drives by that could hit someone opening a door.
When I test drove the Ionic 5 I tried out the back seats. I closed the doors and then tried to open them again. Found that they would not open - even using the key fob. My only way out was to crawl through to the front to where I was able to open the drivers' side door. This probably had something to do with the child lock but I felt the fob should have worked. There are a lot of similarities between the two cars so manybe worthwhile to look into as well.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
You guys should've tagged me 🙂

Looks like the manual says the inside handles disengage the locks if that's what you're asking. There's a physical keyhole in one of the doors to unlock physically from the exterior in the event of no power.

Recipe Font Publication Material property Paper

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But that’s if the door locks fail. What if the 12V fails? Are the door handles and lock independent and not electronically operated? IOW, the methods prescribed above will still work in the event of a dead 12V?

I ask because there’s usually a manual interior release on cars with electronic door locks (Corvette, Model 3, i8, NX etc)

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I am still waiting for my red EV6 to arrive and because I am so eager I decided to stop by the dealership and check on my car status and check out the locks as in this discussion. It just so happen a mechanic from the dealership was looking at the car and I asked him about the locks and safety. He had just finished the EV6 tech training last week. He knew a lot about the car. He didn't know about any future updates for the battery preconditioning but he did say winter mode does improve charging and protecting the battery.

But back to the lock questions. He said. the mechanical unlock. switch as been gone from newer kia models for over a year. Other than when the child lock is on, any door will unlock when the internal handle of the door pulled. He also said that if the any of the kia cars are detect an accident or impact, the car automatically unlocks all the doors and hatch. I asked of the battery were dead and we were on the inside, the internal unlock handle would unlock the door because it is mechanical.

Cheers!

·
Registered
340 Posts
So I am still waiting for my red EV6 to arrive and because I am so eager I decided to stop by the dealership and check on my car status and check out the locks as in this discussion. It just so happen a mechanic from the dealership was looking at the car and I asked him about the locks and safety. He had just finished the EV6 tech training last week. He knew a lot about the car. He didn't know about any future updates for the battery preconditioning but he did say winter mode does improve charging and protecting the battery.

But back to the lock questions. He said. the mechanical unlock. switch as been gone from newer kia models for over a year. Other than when the child lock is on, any door will unlock when the internal handle of the door pulled. He also said that if the any of the kia cars are detect an accident or impact, the car automatically unlocks all the doors and hatch. I asked of the battery were dead and we were on the inside, the internal unlock handle would unlock the door because it is mechanical.

Cheers!
You and a *friend could check this out by disconnecting the 12v battery to see what happens with the locks.

*Friend to stay outside of car in case of unexpected outcomes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes I was planning on doing that once I had access to the car I was going to purchase...not sure it is appropriate to do it to a showroom car or another fellow EV6'r but anyone else that has an EV6 wants to take one for the team...that would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Cheers!
Ahh thanks for that! Well if true, that puts my mind at ease.

·
Registered
639 Posts
FWIW, these types of door locks where the interior door handle mechanically unlocks the door have been around for decades. For a long time, the physical lock lever was still accessible, and you could see it physically move as you pulled the door handle. I remember a lot of cars having physical lock levers that pushed down and became recessed, so you still couldn't really pull it back up, you had to pull the door handle, or use the electric locks. I think the only thing that has changed is they've stopped providing the accessible lock lever. The only thing you're really missing out on is the ability to lock the car from inside during an electrical failure.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW, these types of door locks where the interior door handle mechanically unlocks the door have been around for decades. For a long time, the physical lock lever was still accessible, and you could see it physically move as you pulled the door handle. I remember a lot of cars having physical lock levers that pushed down and became recessed, so you still couldn't really pull it back up, you had to pull the door handle, or use the electric locks. I think the only thing that has changed is they've stopped providing the accessible lock lever. The only thing you're really missing out on is the ability to lock the car from inside during an electrical failure.
Good point. I think when I was drafting my initial post, I was thinking about electronic door handles and confused it with the electronic door locks. And now that we’ve determined it’s mechanical, I suppose it’s incorrect to electronic door locks.

You’re right. The only loss is the ability to manually lock the doors without using the power door lock function. It would be nice to see an indication on the rear doors but not a deal breaker.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts